Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Running dual batteries  (Read 5308 times)

December 14, 2010, 01:39:08 am

8v-of-fury

Running dual batteries
« on: December 14, 2010, 01:39:08 am »
1981 1.6D N/A

manual glow-plugs, gave it about 15 seconds of them. and went to start engine gave two chugs (so two compression strokes) and the starter let loose from the engine and began to spin by itself.. Several times more it did this until the engine caught. I think if it would have cranked one more time on the first go it would have done sufficiently. Why is it doing this?

After getting started it ran great! ;) Long Live The 1.6D lol
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:33:43 pm by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #1December 14, 2010, 03:15:57 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: -17C cold start
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »
Not 100% sure about VW starters but most others I've worked on have an overrun clutch, this is to prevent the starter from getting spun up to a gazillion RPM once the engine catches.  If it goes bad it often has the symptoms you are describing.  Other possibility is the starter has gotten sticky and the pinion isn't engaging properly with the ring gear on the flywheel - if that's the case it'll often make some unpleasant crunchy noises as the teeth slip off.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2December 14, 2010, 03:37:49 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 03:37:49 pm »
Thanks dude. Yeah I think its the latter of the two things you described, as it is doing the described crunch as the starter slips off the fly wheel.. Good thing I got a few laying around

Reply #3December 14, 2010, 09:52:55 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:52:55 pm »
Those are the noises mine makes as well..  Although it only does this on the first start of the day, other than that it does just fine until the sun goes down.
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #4December 15, 2010, 10:28:57 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:28:57 am »
I replaced my batt terminal and wire with the 1/0 I had in the flat red bunny. Yesterday no block heater, one cycle of glow plugs, and it fired and ran on the second revolution. It was 1F :D
I had been having hard starts when lots warmer. I noticed my GP wiring that I had made was a little "loose". #4 was still attached, but 1,2,and 3 piggy back off of 4 and it was broken right at for. After getting them all back up and going that is when I started it at 1F ;)

Reply #5January 17, 2011, 10:33:24 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:33:24 pm »
WELL last night, I tried to call on the old beast to start.. and it just wouldn't do it :(

However it was -25C before the windchill :o and it had been sitting 1 week to the day since I parked it where it was to bring a 91 in to the driveway to strip in this ungodly weather..

I feel that upgraded battery cables (Lucas I will go as big as I can possibly get ;)) Now I had an idea. Say I want to run two batteries in series (++ and -- Vince where are you? lol) the voltage will remain at 12v, but will the batteries amperage be each of the batteries together? For some reason my brain failing, and bringing up reasons as to why I'm wrong lol. I figure with like 12-1250CCA you could literally spin the engine up to temperature if you absolutely had to.. lmao

Reply #6January 17, 2011, 11:02:34 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Running dual batteries
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:02:34 pm »
Yeah you could do that, as long as it's 12v it'll be fine. The starter will only draw what it can use so it's best to have a bit of overkill rather than underkill. If you get an unfused short with two batteries it'll be more exciting too.

On the starter, my money says the overrun clutch is going. I had that same issue a while back so I bought a new starter gear, but it couldn't hold the power of the starter. Rather than crank and then slip the new piece would slip and then grab.

I put a used drivegear from a gasser starter in and it's been fine for a year or two now.

New parts aren't near the quality of the old stuff............
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #7January 17, 2011, 11:05:40 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:05:40 pm »
I remember your post about that Rabbitman.. I think we were both having the same trouble at the same time.. Worked ok when warm, but kicked out when cold..  I warrantied a pile of reman VW and Benz starters till I gave up and installed a genuine Bosch drive from a used starter...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:08:32 pm by maxfax »

Reply #8January 17, 2011, 11:11:14 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:11:14 pm »
I remember your post about that Rabbitman.. I think we were both having the same trouble at the same time.. Worked ok when warm, but kicked out when cold..  I warrantied a pile of reman VW and Benz starters till I gave up and installed a genuine Bosch drive from a used starter...

Yup that was the deal, kinda sad that once the supply of old drives goes extinct us dieselers will be up a creek.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #9January 17, 2011, 11:12:50 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:12:50 pm »
+ to + and - to - is the ticket..  Theoretically you will then have the amperage of both batteries available..

True dat.  That's wiring them in parallel.    Series would give you 24V.. which would certainly spin your engine fast.... a couple of times.  ;-)

The only subtlety is that over time the batteries will age and their charging/discharging characteristics will become different... and they will start to fight each other a bit, since they are chained directly together.

There's a super-duper belt-and-suspenders approach using a battery isolator for charging and a starter solenoid for starting, but for the purposes of day to day life chain 'em together with the heaviest cable you have and drive more, worry less.   ;)

Early MGs had a 6V electrical system that used two 6V batteries chained together... worked fine.  They mounted them under the passenger seat exactly on opposite sides of the transmission hump for perfect weight balance... clever Brits.  ;-)

OK, back on track.... yeah, sounds like your starter's overrun clutch is releasing prematurely.  Pretty common failure mode as they age.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:17:36 pm by Vincent Waldon »
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #10January 17, 2011, 11:14:40 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:40 pm »
I still have to wonder of it could have been an issue with the grease they used in the drives..  Say something like it's too stiff when cold..  I had to replace the starter on the current bunny early in the spring..  I had troubles with it kicking out till the weather got warmer..  I just dealt with it since I could usually get it started..  Once summer hit it was fine, and now that it's cold again it still seems to be working fine...

The only subtlety is that over time the batteries will age and their charging/discharging characteristics will become different... and they will start to fight each other a bit, since they are chained directly together.

And to add to this, start with 2 batteries at the same point in their life, ideally new.. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:17:37 pm by maxfax »

Reply #11January 18, 2011, 12:00:12 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 12:00:12 am »
Yeah I would only run two batteries because I have a few extra laying around, and that way I mean it could crank and crank and crank and it would take a while to run the batteries down. Plus having that extra amperage around to use instead of the alternator trying to make up for surges..

Both batteries are used, so when they start to get worn down or get older.. I will get two cheaper priced 500cca batteries or something similar in lower price (to be able to run two relatively inexpensively).

Rather than mess around with the starter, I think I'll just swap in a known good original vw D starter.. and keep this one around, in case i run out and need to rebuild one. lol

Thank-you guys very very much :)

Reply #12January 18, 2011, 12:28:05 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:05 am »
I am running two batteries right now, and have on many cars.

never had too much trouble with them dying  faster due to them being wired together, they are asked to be run flat less often so they tend to last longer.

even on really cold days when my GP's are not working properly I can crank long enough to fire up without killing the batteries. helps alot when I have to park the car all day without a plug for the block heater.

as for the starter, mine is slipping loose of the ring gear when cold too(not a VW starter, but hey) and I will be replacing it as soon as I can, so I can look at what is wrong with it then.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #13January 18, 2011, 05:48:19 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:48:19 pm »
Duals it is then, this might make it possible for me to dig my Diesel out of storage and drive it for the rest of winter! However I need to do work on it :( lol

How long do you figure it will take to replace all the struts/shocks in my driveway?

Reply #14January 19, 2011, 12:23:33 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 12:23:33 am »
I have a dual VR40 Odyssey Horizontial mount being made for the caddy..

it was almost 80 here today at the beach thou...

leaving for Osaka japan tomorrow , then off to Boracay island

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15