Author Topic: PD130 Turbo. To manifold, or not to manifold... that is the question.  (Read 2825 times)

November 21, 2010, 12:09:08 pm

superspringer

• User+

OK just so we are all familiar with what I am describing... I tend to steer clear of describing turbos by their GT1749xxx description, as I find the Garrett part number does a much more specific job.

720855 range of turbos. PD130 fitment for vehicles with left-right engine mounting, with integral manifold. (I believe its the GT1749VA but don't quote me?) Same looking and external dimensions as the 721021 range (GT1749VB???) 150 Bhp unit but with different wheel sizes.
717858 range of turbos. PD130 fitment for vehicles with north-south engine mounting, with seperate manifold. Identical internally to the 720855 range.

My query here regards the 130 units. If you had a 720855 unit and a 717858 on its manifold, would the two interchange on a vehicle with the left-right engine configuration? Does anyone have any experiance in this? And when I say interchange I mean bolt off the turbo with the integral manifold and bolt on the one with the seperate manifold? I have hunted down some images from Google and the actuator seems to be mounted in a different position and the clocking angles appear to be different. I guess this is because the engine is tilted further over in one installation than in the other?

Anyone with experience in this please pipe up now!

Cheers.

Reply #1November 22, 2010, 05:29:16 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: PD130 Turbo. To manifold, or not to manifold... that is the question.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 05:29:16 pm »
the integral turbo tucks right next to the block. like right next to it.

the other non-integral is farther away from the block by quite a bit..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2November 27, 2010, 10:23:23 am

G60ING

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Corrado TDI
    • My VW Projects
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 10:23:23 am »
the one with a separate manifold sits higher then the integrated manifold. The people that swap VNT TDIs into mk2s and mk3s know all about this as the rear motormount bracket interferes with the integrated manifold turbos. I've had two tdi corrados. The first had a mk4 VNT turbo and I had to cut up the bracket to make the the turbo fit. The current tdi has a B5 turbo upgrade going on to it soon. Here is a build thread with pictures of the turbo fitment which also shows compressor side clocked with before and after pics.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=3196581

Reply #3November 27, 2010, 03:44:11 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »
im gonna be dropping my vnt equipped diesel into my mk2 jetta, so i get to build a special motor mount to clear the turbo intake.. i will take pics, and make a thread about it..

cause its sure as hell not gonna cost me 250 bucks to build it, unlike some vendors on the thread..

i would have just bought one, had it not been for the stupid pricing..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com