S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: (Zipping up flame suit) Look what I bought!  (Read 32698 times)

Reply #60March 13, 2011, 04:52:58 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: (Zipping up flame suit) Look what I bought!
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2011, 04:52:58 pm »
I'm damn glad it has HB brakes too..   The vac pump is only necessary for the HVAC and cruise control on this one..  8)  All my old 70's Lincolns had HB brakes, and I loved them!  They'd stop a 6,000  lb car with 8,000lbs hitched to the back in a heartbeat..

Got all the bleeders open but the left rear..  I cracked the line to bleed that one.. I have brakes more or less.. Still has some rust to burn off the drums and rotors..  I still plan to replace all the brake hydraulics though..  Everything is 30 years old, and has been sitting unused for 16 of them...

First drive wasn't too bad..  I took it up and down the road about 2 miles..   Those 16+ y/o tires are kind of a thrill..  I gotta say, it doesn't run too bad..  I'd say no worse than the v6's or some of the small v8's they used back then..  I do think I need to adjust the governor a bit..  Seems to hit the rev limit a bit early..

I gotta hook up the tach and timing tool and see exactly what's going on..  I had been givinen and old Snap-On LumyMag years ago, but only had adapters for GM 4.3, 5.7 and 6.2 engines... Never could get my fingers on the VW adapters for it... FINALLY I have something to use it on..

Now I can't decide whether to throw tires on it and drive it a little, or go ahead and pull the heads and avoid that dirty little issue...

Reply #61March 13, 2011, 09:32:14 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2011, 09:32:14 pm »
the governor on my buddies 6.9 was 3500...

6.2's got like 4200 or something, iirc..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #62March 13, 2011, 10:55:19 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2011, 10:55:19 pm »
Just did some research.. Looks as though the 6.9 maxed out between 3500 and 3800 pending on year and application.. The Olds stopped at 4000, peak HP was made a 3600..  The 6.9 governor, however, is adjustable..  I  did crank it up just a touch, but till I get the tack on there I'm not sure what I got..   I did adjust the TV cable to the trans which made a world of difference.. 

It seems I had another issue lurking as well which may have (and eventually did) cause me some grief.. I was driving around on the back roads all afternoon (no tags  :-X) and the darned thing lost power and died..  Looks as though I may have missed getting some goo outta the tank..   I'm just glad I had that cheapo inline filter before the lift pump..

Reply #63March 14, 2011, 10:47:28 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »
Good ole General Motors, always thinking..   Poor fuel quality in the early 80's??  No problem!  Let's put a bypass valve in the pickup screen in the tank..  When it plugs, fuel can still make it's way to the substandard fuel filter we installed...

I'm glad I upgraded filters..  Now to get the tank clean again..  There's a baffle in there, I think that's where the remaining goo lies...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:50:38 pm by maxfax »

Reply #64March 15, 2011, 02:59:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2011, 02:59:48 pm »
Good ole General Motors, always thinking..   Poor fuel quality in the early 80's??  No problem!  Let's put a bypass valve in the pickup screen in the tank..  When it plugs, fuel can still make it's way to the substandard fuel filter we installed...

I'm glad I upgraded filters..  Now to get the tank clean again..  There's a baffle in there, I think that's where the remaining goo lies...

wow, i thought ford was the only one that did STUPID ideas like that, altho on the 6.9, they did have 2 filters atleast..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #65March 16, 2011, 04:06:28 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 04:06:28 am »
I thought I'd seen something like this elseware.. I guess every manufacturer has to do stupid things from time to time..  If not, I wouldn't have this car..  ;)  But yeah, they at least put a decent filter on the 6.9..

Got my tank cleaned..   Sanitizing acid as used on milk tanks for dairy farms mixed in with hot water does a wonderful job!..  Tank is spiffy clean inside now..   I did find a small leak..  Where the sock on the pickup rested against the bottom of the tank there was some rust..  When I first dropped the tank I noticed a gooey spot in the undercoating..  After cleaning there was the smallest of pin holes..  At least the tank was cleaned out that I could solder it..

Drove it around about 12 miles today..  With the trans adjusted, and the fuel system clean, the darned thing doesn't run *that* terribly bad.. Pulls out from a dead stop decently, get's up to 65mph without much of a struggle..  Punching it to pass is a joke, and no burn outs..  Even when I tried to brake stand it..  ::)  True dual exhaust and some intake work would really wake this thing up I believe..  Gotta investigate why the TCC isn't working.. I'm not actually sure what makes it work.. Gassers used the ECM or a vac switch.. This has neither..  ???

IF the weather cooperates this weekend I plan to go after the car with a buffer and some wax..  I think I can manage to get some historic plates for it...

Reply #66March 16, 2011, 12:07:34 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 12:07:34 pm »
TCC?

Reply #67March 16, 2011, 07:09:34 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2011, 07:09:34 pm »
TCC?

Torque Converter Clutch...  This one had the TH200C which had solenoid problems in the early years..  I'm kinda betting that's the ailment with this one... Especially since you have to pull the trans to replace it...

Reply #68March 18, 2011, 05:07:17 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2011, 05:07:17 pm »
lol.. turbo 200's are garbage.. i cant believe they actually put one behind a diesel, no matter how weak it is..

why not just try and retrofit a turbo 350? or a 700R4 so you had an overdrive?

all you have to do is make a plate to connect the trans to the rear mount.. from what i remember..

Reply #69March 18, 2011, 05:20:26 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2011, 05:20:26 pm »
Not quite, he needs the Buick Olds Pontiac bellhousing pattern, so no 700R.
200R4 do OK in Grand Nationals that run 10s, they can do fine behind a 5.7.

TCC runs through a brake switch, and I think a high gear pressure switch on the  valve body.

I forget what year you got, but if it has an ALCL, there is a wire for TCC command state.

Reply #70March 18, 2011, 05:33:12 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2011, 05:33:12 pm »
Not quite, he needs the Buick Olds Pontiac bellhousing pattern, so no 700R.
200R4 do OK in Grand Nationals that run 10s, they can do fine behind a 5.7.

TCC runs through a brake switch, and I think a high gear pressure switch on the  valve body.

I forget what year you got, but if it has an ALCL, there is a wire for TCC command state.

oh yea, thats right, the 5.7 had a BOP bell housing.. the 6.2 and 6.5 had common GM bell pattern..

Reply #71March 19, 2011, 01:10:12 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2011, 01:10:12 am »
BOP bell indeed..   I have a few BOP TH350's, but the 200 isn't actually such a bad trans..  Very efficient.. 96 lbs (one lb heavier than a power glide) and MUCH less rotating weight than the TH350, 400, and 700r4..  That equates to less parasitic loss through the trans... The design is actually much simpler than the 350, 400, and 700r4.  Which is kind of amazing...  

The 2 weakest points in the TH200 is the second gear band, and the lockup torque converters..   The clutch in the TC would basically explode and send garbage through the trans trashing the rest of it..  Second gear could be fixed with a larger servo and HD band.. The 350, the 400 and 700R4 also had a weak 2nd gear, except they used a roller clutch.. Not quite as weak as the 200's band..   There is a HD 29 element sprag that'll pretty much cure them under normal use.. But when the sprag lets loose, its another situation of garbage though the whole trans..

A 2004r isn't so bad either.. Still lightweight with less parasitic loss than a 700r4..  THe OD is the weak point in those..  Even with the billet intermediate shaft...  I have considered one as a future upgrade, but anymore they are scarce in the junkyard.. There were VERY few 700's with the BOP bell, but those are hen's teeth..  Best bang for the buck if I want OD would probably be a 700R4 and an adapter plate.. 

Got my hands on some diagrams, the diesel's have a switch on the throttle linkage that cuts the power to the TCC under full throttle.. Then there is the typical governor pressure switch, and brake switch.. This one's an '81, no diag connector..

I though this switch was for the AC at first..  The PO had a jumper wire on that connector which I pulled off and re connected to the switch... I'm not sure if that's how he had it working, or if he was in the process of diagnosing it..

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:12:11 am by maxfax »

Reply #72March 21, 2011, 12:18:24 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2011, 12:18:24 pm »
yea, the turbo 200M that we replaced, had bad sprags, and it was still (somewhat) driveable.. you had to really baby it, but it worked..

it was out of a 77 chevy monza V8..

Reply #73March 21, 2011, 04:23:31 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2011, 04:23:31 pm »
The biggest advantage to the 200 with the diesel is that there is no vacuum modulator and control system to contend with...

Reply #74March 21, 2011, 08:29:30 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
VW glow plug relay installed and working dandy..    I think I may have drilled my adapter for the temp sender a tad crooked..  Got to get another pipe plug and tray again, this time using the drill press..  :-[

Still screwing with the tcc..  At this point I know that I have power to the trans.. The TCC solenoid is grounded by the governor pressure switch.. In my tracing of the wiring diagrams to get the TCC working I found that the EGR is triggered the same time off the same circuit as the TCC..   With that info I was able to check continuity and resistance of the TCC solenoid..  Electrically, it looks good..  Now I need to rig a test light that I can monitor inside the car while driving, and see if the pressure switch is working.. IF it is, I'm back to a mechanical fault with the solenoid..

Fixmyvw.com