Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 82 Caddy Front Strut Cartrige Recommendations ??  (Read 2646 times)

November 10, 2010, 11:46:43 pm

2strokesmoke

82 Caddy Front Strut Cartrige Recommendations ??
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:46:43 pm »
Hi Guys,
My 82 Caddy ,is due for front strut cartriges.
This truck  is my daily Driver.
I've found several cartriges to choose from :
KYB , Monroe, Sachs
What do you guys recommend?
I'm looking for a Nice smooth ride,with a strut that will last
The Sachs cartrige from autohaus,is considerably cheaper..are they any good ??
The truck handles quite nicely,sence I added the front sway bar..So I really don'y need a performance type strut...Just a good  quality strut,with a nice ride.
Thanks in advance for your input !

Reply #1November 11, 2010, 12:44:19 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: 82 Caddy Front Strut Cartrige Recommendations ??
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:44:19 am »
Sachs is rather lame, I think I got 2-3 years out of 'em.

I have bilstein heavy duty's on the front, they ride really smooth and can take some really big bumps but it seems like they can't take washboard's very good, I have heavy springs though so IDK what they'd be like with stock springs........they aren't cheap either.

I used napa's cheapest struts once, they where leaky one and a half years later..........

I have KYB gas-a-just on the rear and they seem rather harsh, I wish like ever I'd gone with bilstein all around :(.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #2November 15, 2010, 10:37:49 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: 82 Caddy Front Strut Cartrige Recommendations ??
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:37:49 pm »
Monroe Sensa-Tracs. A user on here has been using them for a while now with an unloaded trip from N.C to Canada, and then back to N.C loaded with like 3 1.6 engines and assorted other stuff.. and they did amazingly well. they are a Mono-tube design, and can take some serious use. Not to mention for a very reasonable price, Monroe will replace them if they EVER fail. You only pay shipping to get the old struts back to then and new ones to you. not bad eh?

S-PAutomotive.com