Author Topic: opinions on a gas to dsl swap  (Read 2512 times)

October 28, 2010, 11:32:30 am

fdnyguy

• Veteran

opinions on a gas to dsl swap
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:32:30 am »
What better place to get diesel opinions than this site? :)

I have a co-worker who has the oppportunity to get a 2001 Passat 5 spd with slightly over 100k miles for $1000 from a relative. Sorry to say, it is a gasser and he was asking me about throwing a diesel in it. From what I know (which is not much), I do know the replacement has to be an engine from the same year or newer. So, since you guys take apart, rebuild and replace diesels on a regular basis, I value your opinion on its pros, cons and feasability.

I did explain to him that you may have to be a diesel lover to undertake an effort, for it may not be worth it $$ wise, whether it's done in a NYC area shop ($$$$) or even one of you guys doing it.

You guys throw around these letters like AHU, AAZ, etc. As much as I love diesels, my mechanical skills are not there. What are the engines to avoid? From what I read, the PD engine may be one of them.

As usual, thanks again in advance.

Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 04:55:20 pm by fdnyguy »

Never forget what a "Religion of Peace" did on 9/11/01.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k
1998 Jetta 1.9TTDi 228k .
2002 F250 7.3 TD   63,000 miles. Sold.
1980 Mack CF Fire Engine. Working on it.
2007 Dodge MegaCab 5.9 Cummins. Nice, but plagued with issues

Reply #1October 28, 2010, 06:20:12 pm

greentdi

• User+

Re: opinions on a gas to dsl swap
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:20:12 pm »
I would try to find a complete car thats wrecked. Then its pretty straight forward. To piece all the things you need together with out a donor car would be really expensive.

Reply #2October 28, 2010, 07:30:22 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 07:30:22 pm »
I would try to find a complete car thats wrecked. Then its pretty straight forward. To piece all the things you need together with out a donor car would be really expensive.

Considered that as well, anybody knows of one within a decent driving distance, let me know.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for the tip, greentdi.

Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k

Reply #3October 28, 2010, 11:37:12 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 11:37:12 pm »
well ill ask the most importnt question 1st.. is it a 1.8t or v6?

1.8t you got options.. if v6 well you would need a tranny.. if its 4wd then add in even more expence and probally not worth it..

if 1.8t then a 01 tdi from jetta/golf/bug will need shoe horned in.. along with wiring and such.. but the turbo/intercooler plumbing would be close.. the problem is you almost want a older pre 99.5 tdi.. for a easier fit.. then run that off later 01 electronics and pump..

Reply #4October 30, 2010, 11:50:36 am

CdnVWJunkie

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:50:36 am »
The B5s and B5.5s have their engines mounted longitudinally while most diesels here in NA had their engines transversally so mounts and turbo locations needs to considered.  The factory offered TDI B.5s were the 2.0L BHW code which has a balance shaft module that WILL fail at some point or other and needs to upgraded to a gear driven unit - parts alone for this conversion are $1200 plus install cost.  The B5.5 TDIs here in NA were also only available with an auto trans.  There is a complete 70K mile B5.5 TDI sedan for sale right now on both the tdiclub and thesamba for $5K but factor in an additional $1200 for the BSM plus other "upgrades" you'll be pushing $6500-7000 quite quickly and that doesn't include labor for swapping.  With a complete parts car you can offset conversion costs with selling leftover bits and pieces from the donor.

Another option to consider is importing a complete driveline from a European source. 

GL w/ your decision.

Reply #5October 30, 2010, 07:30:19 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:30:19 pm »
The B5s and B5.5s have their engines mounted longitudinally while most diesels here in NA had their engines transversally so mounts and turbo locations needs to considered.  The factory offered TDI B.5s were the 2.0L BHW code which has a balance shaft module that WILL fail at some point or other and needs to upgraded to a gear driven unit - parts alone for this conversion are $1200 plus install cost.  The B5.5 TDIs here in NA were also only available with an auto trans.  There is a complete 70K mile B5.5 TDI sedan for sale right now on both the tdiclub and thesamba for $5K but factor in an additional $1200 for the BSM plus other "upgrades" you'll be pushing $6500-7000 quite quickly and that doesn't include labor for swapping.  With a complete parts car you can offset conversion costs with selling leftover bits and pieces from the donor.

Another option to consider is importing a complete driveline from a European source.  

GL w/ your decision.

WOW. This is why I love you guys. The info that floats around this site boggles my mind. Obviously, this is not just a 'drop in' like a Jetta, per se. Nice to know that, thanks much. My pal is very interested in diesels, but has less knowledge and mechanics than me (yes, that little...lol). Most guys I work with have a clunker that just goes the 30-75 miles back and forth from the suburbs to NYC. Anyone who has driven NYC streets can attest to the abuse vehicles get, along with the slowly rising vandalism and auto theft. So at times driving a POS usually keeps the skells (dirtbags) from taking your car. Plus, if someone hits it, sideswipes it, or vandalizes it, you are not as upset if it was a brand new car.

As I posted, I can barely change my own oil. And some of the technical talk goes over my head. But I do love the mileage and endurance the diesel engine gives over gasoline. I will let him know he can keep the gasser in it, for it is not worth it dollar wise to do the conversion.

Shame you guys didn't live closer....... :)

Thanks VERY much for the info and replies.

Stay safe, stay well. stay warm.. Jimmy.

No doubt the gasser Passat will get decent mileage.  Not as much as a diesel, though. :) :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:34:45 pm by fdnyguy »

2015 Passat TDi. 27k

Fixmyvw.com