S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: fuel adjustment problem...  (Read 4128 times)

July 17, 2004, 02:13:01 pm

AntonUK

fuel adjustment problem...
« on: July 17, 2004, 02:13:01 pm »
Hey everyone,

Today I tried to increase my fuel delivery by turning the fuel screw in then setting the idle back down, but when I pressed the gas to rev it a up to about 3500rpm, the revs dropped down very slowly and not even down to the set idle! I played around with it but I could only turn the fuel screw slightly to avoid this problem. Anyone have any ideas on whats happening??

Another thing I noticed is that when I disconnected the wastegate, I saw no more than 10psi boost. This is reving the engine with no load upto about 3500rpm. Is this normal? I pressumed that it would have been more since wastegate is closed all the time.

Thanks for any help!

Reply #1July 17, 2004, 05:20:35 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 05:20:35 pm »
Anton,

I can't help you with the fueling issue, so I guess for that you'll have to wait for Giles or one of the other smart guys to weigh in.

However, I had this same thing happen when I disconnected the wastegate. Does you engine have a blow-off valve on the intake manifold? If so, block or disconnect it, as it functions as a secondary boost controller.

That should give you full boost! :D

Cheers! Stan
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #2July 17, 2004, 06:52:21 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 06:52:21 pm »
You need to back out the "residual" screw on the top of the pump. This is the screw that the throttle lever rests against at idle. Turn it out until the idle speed either stops decreasing or hits 850 rpm, then back it out another 1/2 turn. Slight adjustments to the main quantity screw make a very large difference, work slowly in 1/4 turn increments.

Never run this engine under load with the wastegate disconnected. The K03 turbo will easily hit 30+ psi and very likely destroy itself in the process, possibly taking the engine with it. No diesel will make much boost unless you put it under load. I'm very surprised to hear that you can get 10psi out of it without any load, I wouldn't have thought it would produce much more than 2-3psi...

Reply #3July 18, 2004, 06:53:52 am

AntonUK

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 06:53:52 am »
Thanks for the info. I havnt managed to run it yet so Ill connect the wastegate back up.

Stan, I havnt got a blow-off valve on my manifold thats why I got confused but guess I just need to put load on the engine to get full boost.

Ill try doing what you said QuickTD.

Thanks

Reply #4July 18, 2004, 10:31:19 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 10:31:19 am »
Anton, sorry I missed that you were talking about an unloaded engine. If you are getting 12 psi with no load, then as QuickTD says, don't try an all-out run with the wastegate totally disconnected. I can only get 12 psi fully loaded, but that's because the compressor section of my turbo is knackered. Unloaded, I only get 1-2 psi at 3500-ish RPM.

Read other threads for good info on how to build a boost bleeder which fits in between the compressor and the wastegate. It's very cheap and easy to raise your boost in a safe and controlled manner.

Have fun! :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5July 18, 2004, 06:41:50 pm

AntonUK

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 06:41:50 pm »
To be honest Iv already got a pressure release type of controller but havnt got round to installing it because I havnt got a proper boost gauge yet and I dont think it will do much good having more hot air with no intercooler. Maybe Im wrong but an intercooler is going in hopefully this week.

Another thing, is it possible to rebuild the injectors yourself or is it best left to a professional??

Thanks everyone.

Reply #6July 18, 2004, 07:02:46 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 07:02:46 pm »
I "rebuilt" my injectors once (which consisted of replacing the gaskets and o-rings), but the engine didn't run any better, so I went to a pro thereafter.

The problem is that you can't get all the junk out of the injectors without the proper cleaning equipment, and you can't test them after rebuilding, to ensure they all have the proper spray pattern. This is one case where you are money ahead to have them done properly.

You are nearly there, Anton. Buy a cheap boost gauge and you'll have the tools to get the most out of the engine and the added boost. By all means add a IC, but the truth is that you will see plenty of power increase without it just by adding boost and fuel. It's just that to get the last 10% or so you need a good IC.

Cheers! Stan
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #7July 18, 2004, 09:09:19 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 09:09:19 pm »
AntonUK - does your 1.9lTD have EGR and if so, have you disabled it yet?  I have no experience myself with EGR-equipped VW diesels, but from what I've read up here, disabling it is an important thing to do before alterting the wastegate setting for more boost.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #8July 19, 2004, 01:39:55 pm

AntonUK

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 01:39:55 pm »
Hey Jake no my engine hasnt got EGR (one less thing to worry about!)

Thanks Stan, I will take my injectors to a professional to get them done.

Iv got all my parts together now so should be doing some work to it during this week.

Am I right to say that the "performance" timing for pumps is 1mm?? or is this just for 1.6TD's?? Im thinking of playing with it while my cam belt is going to be off. Iv talked to a mechanic about it, he says its not too hard to do,  the hardest part is to measure how much you alter the angle. Ill leave it alone if it looks to hard though.

Thanks everyone.

Fixmyvw.com