S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: more harm than good?  (Read 2966 times)

July 15, 2004, 02:43:48 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

more harm than good?
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:43:48 pm »
i have a very short commute to work. something like under 2km. i'm going to be moving downtown so the commute will be more like 7 or 8km but still.... i wonder....

short operation of a diesel engine can do more harm than good. i should be getting the car up to operating temperature before i shut er down, should i not?

would it be wise to idle the car in the driveway for a while before heading off to work so that it will get up to temperature quicker?

how do i know what is 'not long enough' before i shut it off?

is there a set temperature of the oil or coolant the car should be getting up to? i'd like to put in some sort of timer, or indicator light, something like that to keep the engine happy and healthy. i always feel a little wrong driving it such a short distance, even if i warm it up for 4 or 5 minutes first.

thoughts?  :?

Reply #1July 16, 2004, 04:55:28 pm

janb

• Junior

more harm than good?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 04:55:28 pm »
the issue is that you want to get rid of condensation which is consequential to starts and stops.  Needs extended time run at road speed (like once / week)  Diesels typically warm up slower, and run best when hot, thus not keen on the 'city-lfe' also condensation in fuel is early death to diesels (inj pumps)

so...  move to boonies, or ride a bike
or,
use a fuel conditioner (keep tank full) and run her hard and long periodically

btw, idling is considered by some to be more harmful than good, as sooty buildup in combustion chambers allows for harboring additional moisture damage
The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever

Reply #2July 16, 2004, 05:31:21 pm

andy2

more harm than good?
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 05:31:21 pm »
I live about 2kms away from work too but I always take a long enough route to work in order to get the engine up to operating temperature and also I always keep it cleaned out by getting full boost a couple of times on my short trip to work.I feel that its important to keep my engine from carboning up, most people who own diesels don't load them up enough to keep the carbon from settling. :lol:

Reply #3July 18, 2004, 01:02:34 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

more harm than good?
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 01:02:34 am »
you know how your brake rotors get spots of rust after your car sits out in a rainstorm? Moisture on naked steel doesn't waste any time.
Ride her hard, and put her away DRY. Every time.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #4July 19, 2004, 01:56:36 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

more harm than good?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 01:56:36 pm »
thanks for the advice guys  :)

i spoke with dr. diesel about this on the weekend and i think i'm doing fine with the way i drive the car now... although i only drive 2km to get to work, i take a long coffee break (go for a drive) or bomb around a bit at lunch... at which time the car will get up to temp. then after work its 2km home but 9 times out of 10 i will go out again at some point in the evening and get the car up to temperature again...

its not like i run it 2km, then 2km, then 2km... its mixed with longer periods of driving when deposits would surely be burned off (full boost).

bryson, did the red beast make it home okay??