S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: What is this bumper style called?  (Read 2555 times)

October 06, 2010, 01:47:26 am

ventureforth

• Junior

What is this bumper style called?
« on: October 06, 2010, 01:47:26 am »

Does it have a name?  Did it only come on Cabbys?  Do you need Cabby fenders to mount it nice and neat, or will it wrap around Westy fenders, too?  And same questions for the rear (options for putting it on an 82 2dr. Rabbit, special mounting provisions, what would it come off of, etc.)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 05:27:08 pm by ventureforth »

Reply #1October 06, 2010, 02:35:01 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: What is this bumper style called?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 02:35:01 pm »
late cabby bumpers.. i believe they call that the "clipper kit"

but they come on cabriolets from like 89 or so and newer..

pretty sure the front bumper takes the special cabby fenders from the same year, but not positive.

those actually look just like some pre-80 fenders.. but the front bottom portion may be different, i think the bumpers actually mount to the fenders too..
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:37:07 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2October 06, 2010, 02:53:30 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 02:53:30 pm »
I actually have a set of wolfsburg fenders off a cabby.  Don't know the year, though.  Wonder if the would be the right style.  The bumper definitely attaches to the fenders.  In the pic, the do look just like a standard mk1 fender from a round or westy square headlight setup.  Wonder what's different to allow the bumper to attach to the cabby fenders, as I can't see anything special about the wolfsburg fenders I have, except for somebody filling in the trim channels with bondo (is that what's referred to as shaving?).  Maybr I'll search for goodf methods of removing the bondo so I can get the channels back and try to match them up to a clipper kit.

Reply #3October 06, 2010, 02:59:35 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:59:35 pm »
By thew way, the reason I ask is that I actually have a clipper front bumper that's been roughed up a bit but could possibly be restored.  But i'd have to find something for the rear, and the turn signals are missing.  I tried fitting my westy turn signals in there and, though the actual t/s looks to be the same size, the mounts are different and prevent it from properly fitting.  So I would need to find a replacement set of those, too, and these clipper bumpers don't seem to be too common at the yards or on ebay or clist.

Reply #4October 06, 2010, 03:32:28 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:32:28 pm »
those bumpers came on every single late cabby ever produced...

and the early cabby fenders are going to be different than the late cabby fenders.. the early fenders never had anything mounted to them, not the corners of the bumper like the clipper kit. so if you got that bumper to work with your early fenders, the ends of the bumper by the wheel arch will be attached to nothing.. they will just hang there..

filling in the trim channel is not shaving.. shaving is where you delete the door handles, trunk button, tail gate latch, anything like that, make it look like it was never there... not filling in trim channels, lol..

you dont see where the late cabby bumper mounts to your early fenders because the mounts are not there on your early fenders..

its like using fenders from a big bumper mk2 on a small bumper mk2. it might work, but it JUST DONT LOOK RIGHT!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5October 06, 2010, 03:39:14 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:39:14 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on shaving.  I'm kind of a noob when it comes to most of this stuff, especially on the cosmetics end of things.

The funny thing is, the bumper I have came off an 84 gti.  Obviously, it wasn't stock.  I didn't take the feders because they were damaged, but I'm assuming they must have come off a cabby.  It had dual-rounds, too, so I guess it was kinda custom all around.

Reply #6October 06, 2010, 10:04:38 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:38 pm »
Mk1autohaus sells the clipper kit's

I make both of the seals for him....

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #7October 06, 2010, 10:12:31 pm

ventureforth

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:12:31 pm »
Checked them out.  Very nice.  But I would still need the Cabby clipper fenders, correct?

Reply #8October 07, 2010, 11:38:25 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:25 am »
you need the correct fenders for whatever bumper you use. there are not many pieces from the original front end that you will be using on the cabby front end once you start installing it.

and no, thats not a stock 84 rabbit bumper. the stock 84 gti bumpers should look like the ones on my rabbit, but with a front air dam and a bit of body trim work and fender flairs.