Author Topic: Why do I still smoke so much?!  (Read 2237 times)

September 28, 2010, 04:50:19 am

zagarus

• Veteran

Why do I still smoke so much?!
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:50:19 am »
Alright, cars been running for 2 months now, have just over 3,000km on a fully rebuilt 1.9TD (1st oversize).  

Specs are:

1.9TD
2.5inch straight pipe exhaust (ceramic coated)
AWIC
25psi
Garrett T3 (from my old 1.6td)
Giles super pump (with 1.6 boost pin, not sure where its set)
PD150 intake (ceramic coated)
Everything new

Basically she pulls nice and good (I still think it could be better) but it smokes like a mofo and I can easily pin the EGT's to well over 1600F when punching it uphill (and even level ground). She pulls well up to about 4500rpm then just seems to plane off.  I remember when I sent the pump off to Giles that I wanted it set back a little while I break in the engine but I can't remember what he adjusted (will have to call him).  I still think I can get more power out of this car because to me it still doesn't seem to be running properly.  Not to mention one of my injectors has a leak and my oil temps are always between 210-240F, but more towards 240F  :S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_HE2kl-uY

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to make it better for next year?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:55:59 am by zagarus »

Project 1.9TD Jetta Coupe Completed. Back in action!

Reply #1September 28, 2010, 08:33:47 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Why do I still smoke so much?!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:33:47 am »
Same deal here except 1.6 and 3" exhaust no intercooler, 15psi. Also, you are braver than I, 1600F  :o  I stop a 1200F

The Giles pump dumps it. I turned my max fuel down, rotated the boost pin to the least aggressive slope, upped the tention on the star wheel*5 turns up*, and turned down the torx bolt on the LDA to give more off boost fuel. If it is really cold my egt's aren't a problem in 1st and 2nd gear, but 3-5 it will climb if I let it. If it is warm 1st is the only one that winds out before egts get up there. Any time I come to a hill I can't go from low rpm and give it more than 1/2 pedal I was hoping an intercooler would help, but you are saying no :'(

I have no smoke though. When I hit 15psi it slows the assent of egt, but doesn't stop it unless there is no hill. I could never let someone drive the car as is without a training course on how not to melt it down.

I think Giles didn't do the governor mod in our pumps as mine starts to loose pull around 4,500 and looses boost at 5,200. My oil temps are usually cooler than 225F, but I don't think 240 is bad. I am with you on the running properly. I can get mine to run good, but EGT's are too high. As is it is way better than my GTI and N/A, but I figured a normal TD would be that. I feel I am getting closer now, but the more the fuel screw goes down, the less performance I have. I just thought it was because I never owned a TD before and have no clue :D
Good luck. I would say first call Giles and see what he says. If that doesn't work the biggest help to me was the starwheel tension and rotating the boost pin. Backing off the main fuel really didn't make as much difference as those did. But the way yours smokes off boost it might be better for you to try the main fuel screw first.

Reply #2September 30, 2010, 10:42:35 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Why do I still smoke so much?!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 10:42:35 am »
1600* is safe for short bursts.. i know of guys shifting at 1850*
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.