Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Injector Leaks  (Read 1860 times)

September 28, 2010, 01:39:01 am

jpedro

• Junior

Injector Leaks
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:39:01 am »
Hey, Got a small problem with my injectors. i redid the motor and put the TD inj. pump on my na Converted TD. well i also swapped the injectors thinking that was a good idea to..... but the part that threads into the head is fine. the second part leaks around where it threads into the lower part and these suckkers are tight is there a sealant or o rings or what have you i need to install? its not the return lines or main lines leaking ive checked them really well. but if need be ill take pictures of where im talking about if youre not sure where my leak is. what should i do?

1990 VW Jetta 1.6L TD 235000kms Custom cold air intake and Custom 3" straight pipe

1992 Ford F250 7.3L IDI custom everything you can possibly think of. ( my braging rights are live with this toy)

Reply #1September 28, 2010, 08:05:20 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Injector Leaks
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:05:20 am »
drive it about 4 days. Mine leaked like crazy and then started to heal themselves. If that doesn't work Vince Waldon has a thread on some site about lapping the injector shims to get a better seal. If you didn't take them apart then I don't think that is your problem though.
I figure enought heat cycles and they may just stop on there own.

Reply #2September 28, 2010, 10:08:24 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:08:24 am »
he did however swap injectors meaning he had to remove the hard fuel lines. Try loosening them and wiggling them around, and then re tightening them. If they still leak, try it a few more times.. remember that fuel is going through those lines at like 1300psi (??)..

goodluck

Reply #3September 28, 2010, 06:59:50 pm

jpedro

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »
There not leaking from the Hard injector lines or the return lines. The leak is from around the threads that the top part that threads into the seat that threads into the head. and they're as tight as i can get them? its not a bad leak but i have a slight "tick" so im trying to figure out if its an injector but because its loosing preasure so it might not fire properly, if not im thinking it could be a lifter. its all hydraulic lifters so im not sure how to determine it, its not horrible but i can hear it. i had the timming set by the vw dealer here and he said he wasnt sure as to what it is.
1990 VW Jetta 1.6L TD 235000kms Custom cold air intake and Custom 3" straight pipe

1992 Ford F250 7.3L IDI custom everything you can possibly think of. ( my braging rights are live with this toy)

Reply #4September 28, 2010, 07:08:37 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:08:37 pm »
The leak is from around the threads that the top part that threads into the seat that threads into the head. and they're as tight as i can get them?

The bodies are torqued IIRC to 51ft/lbs. The shims inside that set the pressures need to be perfectly flat to seal. If you go over 51 or whatever it is then they will probably have different opening pressures and will leak. I would have them pop tested/remanufactured if nessesary. Get some new heat sheilds and run on :D

Reply #5September 28, 2010, 07:23:59 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 07:23:59 pm »
when i did my injectors last month one leaked, i just loosened it and retightened
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit