Author Topic: Hard start after Timing Belt change for 94 turbo diesel  (Read 2566 times)

January 06, 2006, 09:25:20 am

cha123

Hard start after Timing Belt change for 94 turbo diesel
« on: January 06, 2006, 09:25:20 am »
I have recently had my timing belt changed and now the cold starts are not as smooth as they use to be. I have had the car back at the garage about 4 times now and it doesn't seem to help. Even left the car there over night for them to start in the morning. To get the car started easily I now use the cold start cable and that seems to do the trick. The car still ideals a little rough, but it starts. I am just worried that when the temp drops if this will still help. Where in Calgary, AB can I get this checked out with a Vag com or will that work on a 94 Golf Turbo? I have taken it to a VW dealer here and they did not fell there was a problem and did nothing. Should I be concerned about this or am I over reacting? Before the timing belt replacement I never once used the cold start cable (temp has been from -8c to +6c and at both temp I had to use the cable) Once car starts and is warm runs and starts fine. I do believe my problem is injector timing, but how to check this:?

Reply #1January 06, 2006, 09:32:12 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 09:32:12 am »
Prior to the timing belt change the timing was probably a little advanced. When they changed the belt they likely put it back to stock. The stock settings usually do require the use of the cold start advance during warm up to avoid misfiring and rough running. If you could have the mechanic advance the timing a bit (or do it yourself) the engine will start and run much better.

Reply #2January 06, 2006, 10:10:53 am

cha123

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:10:53 am »
How does one go about to advance the timing.  Since I taken the car back 4 times to the shop, I don't think they know how to do it either.

Reply #3January 06, 2006, 10:24:38 am

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 10:24:38 am »
The dealer probably can't legally set the timing to anything other than factory specs which could be why they can't seem to fix it.  Do you have a dial gauge?  If so, it's a half an hour job to adjust the timing yourself -- really easy compared to setting the timing on a gas engine I think.  There's a few threads on here describing how to do it.

Z
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #4January 07, 2006, 10:51:43 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 10:51:43 pm »
Yeah, the timing is likely off.  They may have adjusted it back to factory spec as said before, or they may not have adjusted it at all and it changed with the new belt.
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Fixmyvw.com