Author Topic: easy breathing intake for 1.6 NA  (Read 12409 times)

Reply #15December 28, 2005, 10:02:31 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

easy breathing intake for 1.6 NA
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 10:02:31 pm »
the oil on a supercharged engine would not get as hot because it is not using exhaust heat to be spooled.
i dont think the high tech exhaust valves are generally needed either.

Reply #16December 28, 2005, 10:07:49 pm

tylernt

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 10:07:49 pm »
Quote from: "Master ACiD"
the oil on a supercharged engine would not get as hot because it is not using exhaust heat to be spooled.
Good points, I hadn't considered those. Well we just need someone to try it now!
'82 Diesel Rabbit, '88 Fox RIP, '88 Jetta (work in progress)

Reply #17December 28, 2005, 10:19:52 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 10:19:52 pm »
Quote from: "tylernt"
Good points, I hadn't considered those. Well we just need someone to try it now!

I'm game.  I'd like to see how 5 or 10psi feels on the rabbit.  

But I'm also broke right now, so I can't really afford a supercharger just yet....
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #18December 30, 2005, 08:55:23 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 08:55:23 am »
an electric one, of sorts. I can't imagine it made even a single psi, but perhaps it was enough to negate the restriction of the airfilter or something.
Probably one of those cheesey ebay electric superchargers would be more effective. or Nitrous and a Giles pump.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #19December 30, 2005, 09:38:11 am

Justin

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 09:38:11 am »
here are some Pictures of my intake that i had set up before that dumb lady pulled out in front of me and smashed up the caddy

vwmike was kind enough to host these pictures for me

www.tdtuning.com/pictures/S4200015.JPG
www.tdtuning.com/pictures/S4200017.JPG
www.tdtuning.com/pictures/S4200019.JPG

I should let be able to let you know how a rabbit with 15-20 pounds of boost feels by the end of the weekend if all goes well

later
Justin
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #20December 30, 2005, 11:21:53 am

lesharoturbo

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 11:21:53 am »
Dr. Diesel

Electric superchargers can work especially on small displacement engines.  What you have to know is the CFM at a gtiven RPM of the engine and get an electric fan that can handle more than that to get positive boost.  I'll have to do some checking and calculating but it should be possible to 5 - 10 psi.

Bernie

Reply #21December 30, 2005, 03:49:01 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 03:49:01 pm »
its impossible to get 5-10psi from an electric supercharger for more than 30 seconds at a time on an automobile. we are talking about hundreds of amps here, dedicated banks of batteries in the trunk, and huge thick copper wiring. the reason its impossible is because you dont have enough space in the car for all the batterys needed. not to mention the heavy 100lb motor needed to drive a supercharger like that.

i have seen the kit which does this, and its goot for 10 seconds of electric boost. real legit electric kits. they have a baknn of golf cart batterys in the trunk, some kind of large a/c motor in the trunk as well, and ducting going to the front of the car to provide a path of air flow from the supercharger in the trunk to the intake under the hood.

all those ebay kits are is just ventilation fans from the bilges of power boats, some are just computer fans in a plastic duct. those things cause more of a restriction than anything. they actually rob you of power.

its very easy to make boost with a small blower. its also very easy to make cfm with a small blower. the problem, and this is where most prople fail, is making high boost and high airflow together.  think about this. a 12v cigarette lighter compressor can put out 160lbs of boost, but unless youre engine has air airflow requirements of a weed wacker, that thing is useless.

a gas powered lawn blower can make lost of cfm, hundreds of it actually. but gas powered leaf blowers dont even make 1 psi of boost. actually, all of the ones i have tested make less than 1/2 psi of boost.

so the problem, is getting boost pressure AND high airflow. you cant even get 1/10th of a psi of boost out of those ebay electric motor fans.  

an easier way to think about it is to look at the power requirements of electric motors. a conventional belt driven supercharger can take anywhere from 25,000 watts to 300,000 watts to drive them. a turbo is more efficent but still relies on power from the exhaust gas to drive, say anywhere from 15,000 watts to 250,000 watts to drive,  (this is all depending on the application and stupid details which dont actually matter in the aspect of this discussion.

look at the alternator of a vw, lets say you upgrade to one of those 90 amp jetta units. at full power the 90 amp jetta alternator puts out 1296 watts of power. yup, thats less than most toaster ovens, or electric hair dryers.

so we have 1300 watts to play with. now take away some power for the injection pump solenoid, some relays, maybe a headlight or 2 :P and perhaps a cabin fan. say we have 1000 watts left. thats roughly 1 horsepower wirth of power you have to play with.  you think a electric supercharger can be driven off 1000 watts? thats not even enough to turn the starter on a car, much less the powerfull motor it would require for a real electric supercharger to actually do anything.

this post isnt ment to offend anyone here and i apologise if i have. i understand the novel idea of an electric supercharger. it seems like a good idea untill you actually gety into the mechanics of it. i looked into it myself. it just isnt practical from any stand point.

Reply #22December 30, 2005, 06:33:15 pm

tylernt

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 06:33:15 pm »
its impossible to get 5-10psi from an electric supercharger for more than 30 seconds at a time on an automobile. we are talking about hundreds of amps here,
I certainly agree that high-powered engines need a lot of air and pressure to be supercharged, but our little diesels don't need nearly as much. We also have anectodal evidence that a heater blower is beneficial. Granted, it's not scientific, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway I agree that computer fans and marine bilge pumps are not the way to go. I would much rather have a belt-driven supercharger. More efficient and probably lighter too.
'82 Diesel Rabbit, '88 Fox RIP, '88 Jetta (work in progress)

Reply #23December 30, 2005, 08:50:05 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 08:50:05 pm »
i understand the novel idea of an electric supercharger. it seems like a good idea untill you actually gety into the mechanics of it. i looked into it myself. it just isnt practical from any stand point.

He's right. In a high boost turbocharger installation the shaft horsepower developed within the turbocharger can often be as high as the engines horsepower at the crankshaft. Supercharging is no better, an eaton supercharger will draw some 38hp from the crank to make 15psi of boost, you better hope you can make that back...

There ain't no free lunch. Electrics are being experimented with as an anti lag system to supplement the turbo, but cannot be used continously, there is simply not enough battery capacity...

Reply #24December 30, 2005, 10:12:35 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 10:12:35 pm »
Quote from: "QuickTD"
i understand the novel idea of an electric supercharger. it seems like a good idea untill you actually gety into the mechanics of it. i looked into it myself. it just isnt practical from any stand point.

He's right. In a high boost turbocharger installation the shaft horsepower developed within the turbocharger can often be as high as the engines horsepower at the crankshaft. Supercharging is no better, an eaton supercharger will draw some 38hp from the crank to make 15psi of boost, you better hope you can make that back...

There ain't no free lunch. Electrics are being experimented with as an anti lag system to supplement the turbo, but cannot be used continously, there is simply not enough battery capacity...

Something to think about with turbos vs. superchargers is that something like 80% of what drives a turbocharger is heat expansion in the exhaust. Exhaust gas velocity accounts for very little. Typically, (in a gas engine anyways) the power seen at the crankshaft is actually only about 1/3rd of the total energy created. The other 2/3rds is lost in the form of heat through the exhaust and cooling system (though I suspect that this is more efficient in a diesel as less heat energy is created). So, a turbocharger is mostly drawing it's energy from a previously wasted source. That's not to say it is without it's faults as the increased backpressure is detremental to power production.

Superchargers on the other hand take their energy from the crankshaft which is the one source of energy you really care about. If you want a lot of low speed response and good power up to a point then a supercharger might be for you. But, if you're interested in efficiency and upgradeability you'll find much more potential in turbochargers (no supercharger can touch the efficiency of a turbo).

Reply #25December 31, 2005, 07:56:36 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 07:56:36 am »
whether or not superchargers are as efficient as turbos, you can't deny the fact that they work. Last spring, I finished off an A1 jetta G60 for a guy. It had a stage 4 kit on it, and I've never driven anything as crazy as that before. (including some hotrod v8 cars at a couple speed shops I've worked for) It was absolutely insane. 1st and 2nd gear were absolutely useless, and in 3rd, punching it anywhere over 1700 rpm would result in almost immediate wheelspin. Maybe the same engine and same boost from a turbo would make more hp, but I wouldn't trade it for the immediate, RIGHT NOW power made by the supercharger.

quite a bit better than my interior fan'ed n/a.

Reply #26December 31, 2005, 12:12:49 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 12:12:49 pm »
G60 engines can be fast....when they run. They're nice and torquey but I've seen far too many G-laders with holes blown in the case for me to ever think that was really a good idea.  Then theres the management which really isn't that great either and the engine is worn out after about 120k miles. I'm just going to stay away. My turbo gas Rabbit hasn't made the most power it could for a variety of reasons and with the large turbine on it I consider it to be a form of traction control. I used to have an old Arkay turbo kit on my Rabbit. It had a ported and polished Eurorace head with oversized valves and such. That thing made 90% of it's torque below 3000 rpm and went through clutches like underwear. There was also the broken CV joints and the broken transmissions..... 020 transmissions just weren't designed to take that.

Reply #27December 31, 2005, 08:44:01 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 08:44:01 pm »
Quote from: "vwmike"
too many G-laders with holes blown in the case

hehehe... works amazing. wouldn't want it though. I'm glad I'm the fixer and not the owner. Taking that general idea but substituting a lysholm compressor, NOW you're talking!!... about stuff that doesn't belong on this forum.

EJECT!!  :arrow:  :lol:

Reply #28March 06, 2006, 03:41:49 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 03:41:49 pm »
Quote from: "libbybapa"
In my experience, the aluminum dryer duct won't stand the vibration.

Andrew

Yup.....  It's cracked off now  :D

I think I'm going to put a 4" PVC one on there.  Perhaps put it up to a small hood scoop instead of down to the bumper?  What do you think?  Is a NA diesel with a hood scoop false advertising...
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #29March 07, 2006, 06:24:38 pm

Baxter

Fixmyvw.com