Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: curious as to power potentials with 1.6L td  (Read 6121 times)

August 21, 2010, 11:41:01 am

erice1984

• Veteran

curious as to power potentials with 1.6L td
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:41:01 am »
I have been "lurking" around the forums for the past few weeks reading a lot of the build threads on 1.6 and 1.9 td.  I have an 80 rabbit with a decent engine in it. The car is slow, we all know this.  I am curious if I get a 1.6L TD how much horse power/torque would I need to get the rabbit to accelerate 0 to 60 in under 8 seconds using an ASF transmission?

Maybe the guys who have modded engines can chime in and let me know based on their own experience.

Rough estimate on 0-60 numbers and transmission used and I could probably figure the rest out.

Thanks
-Eric

1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #1August 21, 2010, 12:01:26 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

Re: curious as to power potentials with 1.6L td
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 12:01:26 pm »
there are not many people that set performance goals on a "i want it to do XX mph in X seconds" kinda an odd way to put it. the TD is capable of alot of power. i can get to 60 mph in 2nd gear with a 4a 4 spd.. i dont even run a TRUE td..
VW it aint just a car, its a way of life..... Boost, Soot, Repeat

Reply #2August 21, 2010, 12:06:18 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 12:06:18 pm »
Well I figured it was an easy way to compare things.

I bought the car because I wanted fuel economy, but it is so slow I was hoping that I could do a little performance work to the engine to make it a little faster and still maintain fuel economy.

So I guess if the car does 0-60 in 16 seconds, what would it take to get the 0-60 down to what a honda civic would do (~9 seconds)?
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #3August 21, 2010, 12:11:34 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 12:11:34 pm »
i have no idea what my car does for 0-60, 1/4 mile, anything like that, but i do know this.

there is no civic around that can keep up. first, second, and 3rd gear are awesome.. just pull and pull and pull. hell, im about ready to shift 3rd gear, and the civic is just hitting 2nd, at about 18,000 rpms.. lol

i have a VNT turbo off a TDI, and a gasser intake manifold.

the rest of the engine is stock. the fuel pump is recent, and really cranked up, but i could go farther on fueling. just dont want a head shaped dent in my hood..

you can almost blow the head off the block with enough boost/fuel

what turbo do you plan on using? are you going to use a real TD pump? its not necessary. my foot has the same function as an LDA.. i never get into the throttle 100% until i have boost built.

Reply #4August 21, 2010, 12:18:14 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 12:18:14 pm »
That's more the answer I was looking for.  I needed something to compare the two to, otherwise one person's idea of fast is my idea of slow.

My other car is a 2000 Impreza that I put an 02 wrx engine in it and an 06 trans, mild tune and the thing will run low 13's all day.

Anyhow, I was just looking for again.. a mild setup on the 1.6L I have in the car.  I also found an ecodiesel motor for a decent price <500$  I looked at it and the exhaust manifold concerns me with the turbo all the way to the drivers side of the engine and the exhaust exiting out the side of the turbo looks like there wont be any room becuase the downpipe will be right next to my brake master cylinder.

I was just looking for a T3 because they are cheap (on a budget like most)
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #5August 21, 2010, 12:32:16 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 12:32:16 pm »
That's more the answer I was looking for.  I needed something to compare the two to, otherwise one person's idea of fast is my idea of slow.

My other car is a 2000 Impreza that I put an 02 wrx engine in it and an 06 trans, mild tune and the thing will run low 13's all day.

Anyhow, I was just looking for again.. a mild setup on the 1.6L I have in the car.  I also found an ecodiesel motor for a decent price <500$  I looked at it and the exhaust manifold concerns me with the turbo all the way to the drivers side of the engine and the exhaust exiting out the side of the turbo looks like there wont be any room because the downpipe will be right next to my brake master cylinder.

not trying to make you feel bad, but the other day, i let someone in a impreza get all the way up to my drivers door before i grabbed 3rd gear and a bunch of boost. this was up a hill too. next time i saw them, was the next  i love racing gassers up hills. they dont have the torque to pull it like i do. that same day i smoked a pontiac GTP up a hill too.

another thing, diesels are not fast. they are quick. my diesel only goes about 110-120, but gets there quick, my GTI on the other hand, will do alot more than 120, but it takes significantly longer to get there..

as for your eco diesel, it probably has a quantum manifold on it if its all the way to the back by #4 cylinder.. if the turbo is in the middle of the manifold, mounted between cylinders 2 and 3, then its a rabbit/jetta setup. should work fine. downpipes are pretty easy to make, that is if your turbo is mounted to the right manifold.

there are T3s and K24s on here all day long. they perform about identical, bolt on the same manifold, use the same feed and return lines, and have the same exhaust flange. just that one is a KKK and one is a Garrett.

the eco diesels came equipped with a K14, and it was smaller than a normal K14. along with an 8mm fuel pump instead of a 9mm unit.

these engines were built for ECOnomy, at the expense of power..

Reply #6August 21, 2010, 12:39:55 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 12:39:55 pm »
Thats all I need, really no need to ever go much fast than 110-120.  Not like I am trying to make a highway racer or something.  My plan is around town and at least keep 80mph on the highway for a trip to next town or two over, and maintain it with some ease.

I noticed there was a difference in pistons, valves, oil squirters, etc. between the NA and turbo engines.  How critical are these components for a setup like yours and what would you think the overall longevity of the engine is without them while maintaining performance like you stated from your car?
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #7August 21, 2010, 12:45:32 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:45:32 pm »
the pistons: only difference is the notch (for the oil squirter) in the side. they are about the same strength i would imagine.

the valves: yet again, same pieces, just sodium filled instead of solid core like n/a valves. but ive turbo'd a 1.5 diesel, and a 1.6 diesel, both my own engines. and i just bolt the turbo on the stock block, and then hammer down.

my VNT never gets my engine hot, so i really dont have to worry about piston coolers, or sodium filled valves. im sure my engine would benefit from it, but its completely not necessary. i DO need to put some sort of oil cooler on it, and an intercooler tho, those are the 2 things i think my engine NEEDS right now. besides some head studs. head studs are very important if you are going much over 15 psi.. i just dont run them because im so broke i cant afford a $110 set of studs.

one thing i remember now, my car would not do 55 up a hill to save its life, that was after i cranked the fuel pump a bit, and added a header.

then i added boost.. LOOK OUT! now i can go up hills at 55 mph, just gotta push like 2-3 psi boost. thats in 4th gear too. with a tall geared 4 speed..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:48:12 pm by honda_is_the_best »

Reply #8August 21, 2010, 12:51:26 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:51:26 pm »
how much boost to you run on your engine right now? 20psi?

I was going to throw an intercooler on regardless. I just dont see the point of heating up the air to 200+ degrees and trying to pressurize it, because that's just counter productive.

Oil squirters work without the notch in the pistons or am I just missing the whole point?

effectively I could find intake + exhaust manifolds and turbo and run my oil lines and be done with it?  governor mod and advance timing?
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #9August 21, 2010, 01:01:46 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 01:01:46 pm »
no, you HAVE TO notch the pistons and machine the block for oil squirters. you cant just machine the block and use squirters with standard n/a pistons. the piston cant come all the way donw in the bore if it has a squirter and no notch. the squirter actually goes up into the crown of the pistons when they are at the bottom of their strokes..

and more often than not, the air is heated upwards of 400* from a turbo. least i think thats what i read somewhere..

you need: turbo, manifolds, oil lines, oil pan, filter flange.. and thats just to get the turbo installed. if you want a TD pump, thats even more. i dont feel the turbo pumps are as necessary as everyone says. my right foot can do exactly what an LDA can do. turbo and n/a fuel pumps are capable of the exact same amount of fuel too.

governor mod is kinda a necessity in my books, i like having power right to the red line of the engine. and i turn mine about 6000 rpms..

advanced timing isnt a bad idea, but its not necessary. if you could get more dynamic timing advance, that would be worth it, but thats kinda a big mod, have to disassemble the fuel pump..

and yes, most of the time i run around 15 psi boost, but on occasion, i will see 22 psi (or so)

Reply #10August 21, 2010, 04:56:53 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 04:56:53 pm »

Anyhow, I was just looking for again.. a mild setup on the 1.6L I have in the car.  I also found an ecodiesel motor for a decent price <500$  I looked at it and the exhaust manifold concerns me with the turbo all the way to the drivers side of the engine and the exhaust exiting out the side of the turbo looks like there wont be any room because the downpipe will be right next to my brake master cylinder.

not trying to make you feel bad, but the other day, i let someone in a impreza get all the way up to my drivers door before i grabbed 3rd gear and a bunch of boost. this was up a hill too. next time i saw them, was the next  i love racing gassers up hills. they dont have the torque to pull it like i do. that same day i smoked a pontiac GTP up a hill too.

I'd be curious to see a timeslip, always collecting data.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #11August 21, 2010, 06:42:25 pm

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 06:42:25 pm »
I have one from before I swapped the transmission out, and it was a pretty well dead clutch, and prior to tuning.

So this time slip is on a stock EJ205 (2002 WRX engine).  With the standard 5 speed transmission the 2000 Impreza 2.5RS came with, and using the clutch meant for the 2.5RS transmission which is smaller than the WRX one.

These are three separate runs and the first time I went to a drag strip.

So here it is:

EDIT: I am car #168
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:53:10 am by erice1984 »
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #12August 22, 2010, 01:39:28 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 01:39:28 am »
Damn that's quick, very nice.  I have an old AWD Legacy Wagon sitting around I've been trying to decide what to do with.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #13August 22, 2010, 01:52:45 am

erice1984

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 01:52:45 am »
sorry, I am car #168 on those slips.  I will say that for those that overlooked it.
1980 Rabbit 1.9TD

Reply #14August 22, 2010, 02:44:03 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 02:44:03 am »

I'd be curious to see a timeslip, always collecting data.

x2

These little vehicles take a lot more work than a ghetto td to beat anything under any circumstances they are neither fast nor quick. Are you sure the other drivers had any intention of trying to overtake you?