S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Isuzu I-Mark diesel  (Read 63372 times)

Reply #45October 21, 2010, 11:25:41 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: Isuzu I-Mark diesel
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2010, 11:25:41 pm »
Sweeeeeeeeet. this looks like one hell of a cool car :)

Reply #46October 22, 2010, 12:24:12 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 12:24:12 pm »
yeah, it is.

I am very happy with it, other than it being the slowest bastard ever off the line.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #47November 08, 2010, 02:03:30 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 02:03:30 am »
well, the other day both my low beam headlights died at the same time...
WTF, so I turn on the high beams to make it home(they work fine)

later that night I went back out(really dark out this time) and both the high beams go out at the same time...
WTF again.

figured it had to be the relay or fuse or something, there is no way both headlights die like that at the same time TWICE!
but my test light confirmed that there was voltage at the pigtail, so relays and fuses are fine...

voltage is fine(in dash gauge shows high, but it tests fine with a multi-meter) and my CD player would have blown long before the headlights would have gone(right?)

anyway, rather than buy another set of sealed beams, which I have never liked much, I got a set of conversion housings to turn the H6054's to H4's

I also plan on converting everything to LED soon(including headlights if I can find the right parts)

anyway, no night driving for me until the new housings come in...

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #48November 08, 2010, 11:09:37 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 11:09:37 pm »
That's weird, I've heard of bulbs burning out too often but that's a little excessive.

Did you get my PM last week? I'm checking the mail but haven't seen anything yet.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #49November 08, 2010, 11:31:23 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 11:31:23 pm »

voltage is fine(in dash gauge shows high, but it tests fine with a multi-meter) and my CD player would have blown long before the headlights would have gone(right?)

Surprisingly, I've found the electronic whatnot (modules, Cd players, etc) Seem to handle funky voltage spikes better than say a bulb..  Reason being is that most of the electronic components typically operate at a voltage well under battery voltage and have some sort of voltage regulator/stabilizer circuit..  Bulbs however do not..  

When you tested your system voltage did you test at idle, or with the engine revved? Did you watch it for any length of time?

The reason I'm bringing this up is that chances are good your car has a Nippondenso alternator.. The other alternative is a Hitachi..  The Denso alts, and oddly enough I've only encountered this on Isuzu vehicles (and cousins of) can cause voltage spikes.. When the problem starts the spikes are brief enough you may not notice it as far as things getting brighter and dimmer. However the first tell tale is --- headlights blowing..

The cause of this issue is high resistance (poor connection most of the time) between the battery and the battery terminal on the alternator.. The easiest way for me to describe what goes on is that the regulators are kinda slow to react..  Normally the battery will act as a buffer and all is well.. But when the connection is poor or intermittent you can get some very brief but high enough to cause problems voltage spikes..  

If there is a problem it will in time usually get worse and become noticeable as far as things getting brighter and dimmer..  But, that is usually the point when the spikes are high enough to start toasting things.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:34:55 pm by maxfax »

Reply #50November 08, 2010, 11:40:05 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 11:40:05 pm »
-Rabbitman, the parts are headed your way, took longer to mail than I thought it would(life gets in the way too often) sorry for the delay.

as for the voltage, I tested at idle and with the engine revved, but the voltage on this thing wanders alot, so the test might not have been very telling.

the alternator on it is currently having a fair amount of oil pushed into it by the vac pump on the back of the alt.
enough oil is getting in it that it is slinging it out the front of the alternator, kinda surprised that it is working at all with all the oil contamination of the brushes etc...

soon(hopefully this weekend) I will be removing the vac pump and swapping to manual brakes, and may be replacing the alternator with a higher output GM one(would like 95 amps instead of the pitiful 45)

I am going to install my Hella driving lights with a set of LED bulbs, and depending how much light they throw out, I may go ahead and put the LED bulbs in my headlights as well.
I do most of my driving in town anyway, so I will be happy if the LED's put out close to the stock(very dim) sealed beam units.
Hopefully the LED's will be alittle less prone to blowing from voltage issues, vibration, etc...

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #51November 22, 2010, 01:43:37 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2010, 01:43:37 pm »
well, did my timing belt on saturday.

I lined the whole day out for the project in case it took longer than I expected(even made sure sunday was open if all went wrong and I needed an extra day)

but it only took 2 hours!
it was far easier than a VW, probably because the timing assembly is not up against the strut tower, and all the timing marks are on the front engine pulley.

here is what the timing belt looks like on the i-mark.

the tensioner is spring loaded, so proper tension is guaranteed, all you do is loosen the bolts, the spring applies the right tension, you turn the motor over by hand to let the tensioner take up the slack and then you tighten the tensioner bolts down so it is held in place.

brilliant!

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #52November 22, 2010, 08:04:56 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2010, 08:04:56 pm »
the tensioner is spring loaded, so proper tension is guaranteed, all you do is loosen the bolts, the spring applies the right tension, you turn the motor over by hand to let the tensioner take up the slack and then you tighten the tensioner bolts down so it is held in place.

brilliant!

-Owen

I really wish vdub had done it that way.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #53November 22, 2010, 10:35:05 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2010, 10:35:05 pm »
I really wish vdub had done it that way.

Ditto on that..  I've found that most other manufactures do it this way..  Someone needs to come up with an upgraded tensioner kit!

Reply #54November 22, 2010, 11:14:56 pm