S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 98 tdi jetta swap into a 98 tdi glx  (Read 8300 times)

Reply #30September 03, 2010, 08:13:46 am

fuslit

• Junior

Re: 98 tdi jetta swap into a 98 tdi glx
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 08:13:46 am »
Just ordered a h&r sport cup kit, should be decent, it's what I ran in my old GLX and was happy with the handling of.

-T
'81 rabbit 4dr 1.6TD [project]
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #31September 08, 2010, 10:44:18 am

fuslit

• Junior

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 10:44:18 am »
So, I've driven this to work the past two days and it's made it there and back again and back to work this morning. I got the interior buttoned up (for the most part) haven't had a chance to take any pics, but everything appears to be working ok. There's an intermittent "00575 Intake manifold pressure control difference" code, but I haven't really pushed the boost much with it. I want to get my suspension replaced so I am confident with the handling.

But, other then handling, the car appears to be working well, water temp is where it was before the swap, oil pressure is good, etc.

a couple things that need attention (in no particular order):

- Chip tune, work with Mark (Malone Tuning) to get a custom tune for the current setup now that it's in place and running.
- minor turbo drainline oil drip issue, I need to either re-make it or remove/re-install to see if I can re-seat things. (not holding my breath on that, so I'll most likely have to remake the line.)
- I the intermittent boost pressure issue that keeps throwing a code. I need to track down what's up with that.
- I need to make a harness adapter for the gas gauge to work correctly.
- I think the rear pass side brake caliper is freezing/frozen (may have a lead on a spare set of rear calipers in case I'm not able to free up the sliders)
- needs an alignment  (I'm waiting to put the suspension in, but I don't want to wait to long.)
- finish getting the final interior bits
- adjust the downpipe/exhaust to the center of the tunnel, currently is a tad close to the edge and rattles every now and then.

-T

'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #32October 01, 2010, 02:13:01 pm

Golfobricolo

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 02:13:01 pm »
very good job  ;)
Quand on voit ce que les pigeons ont fait sur ce banc, il faut remercier Dieu de n'avoir pas donné d'ailes aux vaches.

Reply #33October 15, 2010, 11:25:05 am

fuslit

• Junior

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 11:25:05 am »
Has been a long past couple months, my wife landed a new job (the current one is crazy stressful because boss yells alot, really isn't all that professional.) my grandfather passed away, and I moved large old machine tools (a couple big lathes and a small mill) into my garage...

had boost issues where I'd only be able to get 10 psi (frustrating) tried many things ...

Turns out that my boost issue was not fixed with the t-bolt clamps (no surprise there) and I haven't had a chance to put my silicone 45 couplers in yet. But I was able to pinpoint the cause (as of last night!)

I caught up with a friend at his shop last night and we figured out where I put things together incorrectly (oops) the culprit turned out to be the top hose on the n75 valve. During the swap, I had Tee'd it into the pressure hose that went to the ECU. The upper port of the n75 valve is supposed to go to just after the maf or into atmospheric pressure. Where I had things plugged in caused the ecu to bleed off pressure before it normally would (interesting find) was good to have a second set of eyes on the problem as I am still a newbie at turbos.

Anyway, We pulled and plugged the line from the T to the n75 to prevent a boost leak and went for a spin. Boost was fairly instant, jumped and hit high 18-20psi boost then promptly blew a boost tube. Back to the shop, put that back on, got a better grip on the tubing w/the t-bolt and now the boost band builds at about 2k rpm, up to 18psi then bleeds down to and holds at 15. (as it did before this swap!)

The power is back and boost couplings appear to be holding. There is very minimal smoke behind while pushing high boost (and I haven't hit WOT as it's really wet out here.)

Now I can finalize my build
- remove the stuff that's cobbed together
- get my intercooler raised up to where I want it so I can get the front bumper
-get paint done
- and more boost which means new chip based on the current setup.

I was thinking 20 to 24psi but my buddy who helped me get this figured out thought since turbo is from a 5 cyl (eats more air) since this is a 4 cyl maybe this one could push higher boost. (with the fmic, larger injectors etc.)

I figured now that I have things to where I can do logging and i've got an email into Mark to get his feelings on the subject.

I'm excited about how this is turning out.

-T
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #34October 17, 2010, 06:10:53 pm

fuslit

• Junior

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2010, 06:10:53 pm »
replaced my ignition switch last night it was showing classic signs of failure.

today I tackled the FMIC

FMIC final placement

brought my charged camera, forgot the flash card... you get the crappy cell phone pics

before

during

after

all the pics I took

http://fuslit.org/photo_gallery/index.php?album=misc/car/tdi/20101017_fmic/

started cutting up the other bumper cover and found that the corner was cracked :boo:

but it looks like I'll be able to get a new bumper cover to fit with minimal cutting (some will be necessary with how I made things fit.) took it for a spin boosted to 20-22 psi then it bled off, didn't blow so I consider it a success!

I'm on the home stretch with this thing!
'98 jetta tdi [daily]

Reply #35May 12, 2011, 11:20:52 am

fuslit

• Junior

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 11:20:52 am »
Well... since i've last posted, I hit / killed a deer.

Both the body shop and I initially thought the car was totaled (would have been if I hadn't kept receipts ... 33 pages of them *grin*) So, I told the insurance company that I was interested in fixing the car. Either by having them fix it, or me buying it back and fixing (my preference would be to obviously fix it and not have a salvage title. My 33 pages of receipts brought the value of the car high enough that the car did not get totaled (and the body shop fixed it.)

It got a new front end. (fenders, hood, bumper, etc) and I learned alot about body shops and repair (both good and bad)

here's how it's sitting now more or less finished body wise.

and I'm about to order the new chip and map sensor from Malone to push 26psi of boost.

I have a few interior things I need to work on finishing up and I am thinking about getting some small spacers for the rear wheels (5-10 mm?) to push them out slightly but i'm glad I've been able to save it from destruction. It's been great to drive so far lots of power with the current chip from Malone and I can't wait for the next upgrade to take advantage of the turbo and fmic!

-T
'98 jetta tdi [daily]