Author Topic: Turn signal short fixed!!!!  (Read 2898 times)

August 03, 2010, 03:55:07 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Turn signal short fixed!!!!
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:55:07 pm »
This is basically a continuation of this thread.
1990 jetta. 1 connector to the gauge cluster wiring.
  • new switch in the steering wheel
  • new flasher relay
  • new X-relay
  • no burnt out fuses
  • new bulbs

The symptoms
  • turn signal led in the dash is dimly lit at all times (when the key is turned)
  • no turn signals work on either side
  • led glows solid when the switch is turned on, either up or down
  • with the lights off, key off, hazard switch ON the rear signals blink, the fronts do not, the LED in the dash does NOT
  • with the lights ON, key ON, hazard switch ON the rear signals blink, the fronts do not, the LED in the dash DOES
    it even goes completely out between blinking

the battery read 13.10V with everything off.
with the key in the on possition, the headlights and running lights disconnected (except for the rear lights), the voltage dropped to 12.8 and steadily decreased 0.01v every second. I counted for thirty seconds.
The only draw would have been the rear two runnings lights and the LEDs in my dash. (LED's drawing minimal power).
Does that signify a short circuit somewhere?
Sometimes my battery seems charged and good to go but it has died recently. Battery less than 2,000km old. Voltage regulator less than 10,000.

FIXED!: The back of the fuse box was SO dusty and covered with crap that it was causing continuity problems???
Cleaned it up and i have turn signals again!!! :D:D:D:D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 05:06:26 pm by Smokey Eddy »

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD