Author Topic: Klaus, the 84 Jetta TD, gets a rebuild  (Read 48574 times)

Reply #120July 10, 2011, 02:59:52 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Klaus, the 84 Jetta TD, gets a rebuild
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »
Car made it down to SOWO and attended the MK1 GTG:

looks great with moar low...

beautiful car.. you guys did an awesome job..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #121July 15, 2011, 10:27:13 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »
Got the last few fittings in I needed to do the last line.

Suction line:

Compressor connections:

And routed:

Also missed the muffler shot in the last post:

Next up this weekend is to try and pull and hold a vacuum and pray that all my connections don't leak! If so, then I will replace the reciever/dryer with the new one I have, add some oil and charge it with R134A!
1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, ~180k miles

Reply #122July 16, 2011, 02:30:56 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2011, 02:30:56 pm »

And routed:

that is one BUSY engine bay.. soo much clutter for a diesel engine.. the a/c really adds clutter tho.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #123July 17, 2011, 10:32:28 am

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2011, 10:32:28 am »
Its organized chaos really  :P

We still have some neatening up to do in the bay, but getting everything in there and working is important. Bill will take care of cleaning up the wiring soon hopefully. The AC does add a lot of clutter though. But we want it here in the South. Looking at 100 degrees for a few days this week and high humidity...driving with windows down just doesn't cut it like that. If we could keep it out, we would. But it sits for too long right now without it.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #124August 05, 2011, 12:51:59 pm

punkvideo81

• Junior

« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2011, 12:51:59 pm »
Great thread! and thanks for your highway rpm's/egt's tips on the thread I did over on the 'tex.
'81 Caddy 1.6 TD

Reply #125August 06, 2011, 12:46:16 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2011, 12:46:16 pm »
I retrofitted my old f250 diesel a couple weeks ago with original equipment and r134a because it was $34 at biglots.

I thought I could get away with it but after day 1 and monitoring temps I was already pissed at myself for not just waiting and paying for the originally intended r12.  You can find it on ebay or craigslist.

Also I would just get a new drier to start and after flushing out the parts replace all orings, etc.  They also make this cool sealant you can put on all valves, threads, orings where you make a connection called nylog.  Be carefull they have a red and blue depending on the oil/system you use.  I used it because it creates this neat seal.  I even tested it once and cracked a couple lines after pulling down vacuum to reposition and it didn't breach!  Seems like a no brainer to use and doesn't hurt the internal workings of anything.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #126August 06, 2011, 10:16:53 pm

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2011, 10:16:53 pm »
All new components in the system. All new lines and fittings and o-rings. New oil and r134-a added as well. It took time and money to get it switched over, but its now all together.

We have nice cool AC coming out of the vents as of this evening   8) Power decreases when its on, but certainly more than usable. Still some tweaking to do on it, but feels pretty awesome as is.
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #127July 17, 2018, 09:47:55 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2018, 09:47:55 pm »
 :o

Holy bump from the bowels of the web!

It's been years since I posted any progress on this or even been over to the site! However this past week marked 10 years of having Klaus. Running strong as ever, with cold A/C and a few more changes since the last post here! Here's a recent photo:

Reply #128July 19, 2018, 10:28:09 pm

oblique

• Veteran

« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2018, 10:28:09 pm »
Thanks for bumping this - I enjoyed reading immensely - would not have found it otherwise. You did a proper rebuild and the longevity proves it as well reaffirming the 1.6's as solid motors.

Few questions. I also found the TT downpipe pricey - maybe I missed it but where did you get your exhaust?
Did you have to cut the telescopic bumper mounts to bring them in? How did you deal with the plastic cover on top of the bumper?

Any issues besides regular maintenance? What would you have done differently? How was it servicing such a busy engine bay? What original components have you had to look at due to age?

I am keeping an 84 alive myself so I'm very curious (factory TD as well)

http://
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:31:39 pm by oblique »

Reply #129July 20, 2018, 09:35:19 am

wolfsburged

• Junior

« Reply #129 on: July 20, 2018, 09:35:19 am »
Thanks for bumping this - I enjoyed reading immensely - would not have found it otherwise. You did a proper rebuild and the longevity proves it as well reaffirming the 1.6's as solid motors.

Few questions. I also found the TT downpipe pricey - maybe I missed it but where did you get your exhaust?
Did you have to cut the telescopic bumper mounts to bring them in? How did you deal with the plastic cover on top of the bumper?

Any issues besides regular maintenance? What would you have done differently? How was it servicing such a busy engine bay? What original components have you had to look at due to age?

I am keeping an 84 alive myself so I'm very curious (factory TD as well)

http://

The exhaust was completely custom from turbo back, done at a local exhaust shop that had a mandrel bending machine. It was around $600 I think, and has held up great despite not being SS.

Bumpers - the last photo I posted is actually a set of european market Jetta bumpers which sit much closer and are much lighter. I previously had run the stock bumpers but had drilled holes in the shock absorbers, released the pressure, compressed, and then tack welded them to stay compressed. That certainly helped a lot but was still not as neat and clean as the euro bumpers. I kept the top plastic covers in place with the tucked bumpers, but had to get creative to keep the clips in place as there was no room to access them on the rear once tucked. I used a nylon tie strap and clip vs the factory clips.

Issues - I recently did a semi-refresh on the car due to a number of small issues that built up, but nothing major related to the rebuild.

Replaced rear wheel cylinders due to leaks, e-brake cables due to age at same time
Replaced fuel tank after my JB water weld repair from 10 years ago finally failed
Patched floor pan due to small bit of rust that popped up

I fought engine gear oil leaks for a few years and finally solved those. I somehow had ended up with a mismatched 020 transmission case and selector shaft cover, and did not have the case vented as a result. I put a few flange seals in only to have them leak. Once we figured out the pressure/vent issue, I drilled a hole and put a vent in and no problems since.

I had a water leak in the cabin from my AC condensate water, a problem most don't have due to broken systems! Fixed that up as well.

I did some interior upgrades, new carpet, later Cabriolet speaker pods to support larger speakers, etc.

Went through earlier last year and cleaned up some of the engine bay wiring better, re-routed and wrapped harness and repaired some wiring that was falling apart due to age.

Engine bay is not too bad now on complexity, certainly compared to newer cars. Biggest complaint continues to be the v-belt system in general with AC. It takes a few adjustments over the course of a few weeks when changing belts to get the tension correct, and it's a PITA to work on.

S-PAutomotive.com