S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Learning more about my TD...  (Read 3569 times)

January 25, 2006, 08:27:41 am

DubAllStar

Learning more about my TD...
« on: January 25, 2006, 08:27:41 am »
My 93 golf is my new addition to my collection of dubs.

Right now i have two questions. First off, i installed a VDO boost gauge the other day, because i was curious as to how my turbo was working. Well it turns out it works VERY well. According to my gauge under acceleration i can hold between 11 and 14 PSI, and during cruising on the highway i'm holding around 7-8 PSI. Is this normal performance? Also which turbo would be on a 93 AAZ? I'm looking at turning up the boost in the near future with an MBC... but i don't want to add any stress to the system if it's already working higher than normal.

My next question is regarding power steering... as i approach the steering locks in either direction, i ge ta progressively louder screech from either the pump, or the belts/pullies. There's no visual indication as to the belts being loose, but i'm not expert!

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Oh and one more thing, my pneumatic actuator for my trunk lock is out of phase with the rest. When i unlock the doors, my trunk locks, and when i lock the doors, the trunk unlocks. I replaced the actuator with one that i know works properly from a jetta, with no results, which leads me to believe i'm looking in the wrong place. Any Suggestions for that?

Thanks guys, there's SO much information that i've gleened from this forum!

Reply #1February 02, 2006, 12:29:44 pm

DubAllStar

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 12:29:44 pm »
Noone has any advice :( Boo...

Reply #2February 02, 2006, 01:12:44 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 01:12:44 pm »
Hmmmm.  On the belt screeching, it may be glazed?  Apparently theres some sort of belt dressing you can apply that help, although I have no idea where you get it or what it's called.  Also, might just try tightening it and see if it helps any.

On the boost, my truck maxes out at about 11psi (wastegate is set around 18psi, but it never even gets close).  It seems the VW's are designed to run a little higher, but I really don't know.  I don't have an intercooler on the truck either.  Do you have an EGT gauge?

Are there two vaccuum lines going to the truck actuator?  Maybe switch them an see if it works.  I've never worked with vacuum operated locks before so I don't know for sure, but if it was electrical it sounds like the polarity is reversed.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup