Author Topic: KYB Caddy rear shocks - STIFF!  (Read 20622 times)

Reply #60December 13, 2010, 03:45:52 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

Re: KYB Caddy rear shocks - STIFF!
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 03:45:52 pm »
MonroeSensa-Trac Light Truck Shock Absorber
Part No 37200

box says same, think the 37200 is on the shock but will have to check and see.

Might be worth mentioning I handle Koni's and Bil's at work all the time, my squish-o-meter might be skewed a bit.
But they are soft, way softer than Boge gas shocks I put on the back of a Volvo 740 wagon not long ago for instance.
I'll try em anyway, they aren't too hard to install at least.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #61December 13, 2010, 04:05:37 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2010, 04:05:37 pm »
The KYB's take both my hands, pushing down with the shock on the ground, and pushing hard to compress them.  The Monroe's I can rather casually just compress in the same position.  I realize this is largely gas pressure talking, but I've compressed enough dampers that I can still feel the lack of compression damping.  They feel just like the one good original that had 600K miles on it, for what that's worth.
They are likely fine for generic use, but they are soft. 

this is what im used to also.. the kyb's i put on my gti, i thought they were bad at first, because they barely compressed with me pushing HARD on them..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #62December 22, 2010, 06:49:41 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2010, 06:49:41 pm »
Still haven't tried em, been cold here and I been busy/lazy.  Too many old cars.
Maybe this weekend.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #63December 24, 2010, 12:30:20 pm

VWCaddy

• Junior

• VW Caddy Page
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2010, 12:30:20 pm »
Roger, how much for the brackets to move the KYB's?

Would like to get $20.00 + shipping for the pair of brackets.  You do need to drill two small holes up through the bed floor to put in carriage bolts to hold the end of the bracket up, the other end bolts into the stock shock mounting holes.
'82 VW pickup, 1.9D engine, Missing LinkZ shift linkage

Reply #64December 31, 2010, 07:52:58 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2010, 07:52:58 pm »
Paypal work for you? I'm in no hurry at all, just beginning to collect parts for a rear suspension overhaul. PM me the details?

Well I finally put them on, is about like I figured, rides better, handles softer.  I think for a daily driver they'll work.
I'm still annoyed the monroe's are so shoddily put together on the bolt eye's, hopefully they'll last awhile.
Had the original's on there till right at 599K, they were about shot.  I'll give it a week or so and will PM you bout the KYB's if you still want em.

Mentat Text Two

Reply #65December 01, 2012, 05:28:57 am

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2012, 05:28:57 am »
So time is a wheel.

Year or so and 3000 miles west and with an 82 instead of my ole 81 Caddy, I bought another pair of KYB Gas-A-Just rear shocks.
I couldn't find anything else that I wasn't pretty sure would suck, affordable anyway.  Still $82 shipped.

The Monroe I put on the 81 after the stiff KYB's were true to form and one was shot in 20K miles, compression gone.
Junk.

On another note, these current KYB's are now silver/gray instead of white, and are not made nearly as nice externally as the old white one's were, cheap looking welds.
Also despite the box and the shock itself having "Made In Japan" I note the little "Pc" logo I've come to associate with our good friends in China.  FWIW.
They are still stiff as hell.
I'm going to buy Roger's lay-over brackets or make some this time to see if they will be more livable.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #66December 01, 2012, 05:17:42 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2012, 05:17:42 pm »
The GR2 line are painted silver, and have a softer OE style stiffness., but I think they have recolored the gas a just line as well now.

Reply #67December 01, 2012, 05:30:01 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »
Yeah looks that way.  It's the same old song and dance, obviously cheaper production sold at the same price.
I hope they are still decent internally, only time will tell though.  I don't think a Caddy is overly hard on rear shocks
being the stock rears last so long and perform tolerably even when pretty much worn out.
Mentat Text Two