Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: KYB Caddy rear shocks - STIFF!  (Read 20759 times)

Reply #30July 22, 2010, 03:36:18 pm

rs899

• Veteran

Re: KYB Caddy rear shocks - STIFF!
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »
This reminds me of a pair of Gabriel front strut inserts I bought for this caddy almost 10 years ago at Pep Boys.  They rebuilt the struts and  I installed them.  I tried them- they were like solid- something was wrong in the valving.  I took them off- they rebuilt them again.  I installed them.  Same thing.  We tried it again ( I think) still way too hard.  Eventually I bought a pair of Boges and Pep Boys rebuilt them again for the 3rd or 4th time.  What an ordeal....
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #31July 23, 2010, 12:09:12 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 12:09:12 am »
Never been a fan of Gabriels either.
lol

My bias along with info from this thread sure did slim down the prospects. Hopefully by this time tomorrow i'll have a good report to relay on the Sensa-Tracs.

I'm going to use the 2 tips from VW Caddy's site about adjusting the bearing spacer, and backfilling the dead air space between the cartridge and housing with ATF.

Reply #32July 23, 2010, 03:45:21 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 03:45:21 am »
HD Bils are not in the budget, and KYB has let me down.

Can you explain how KYB let you down?

I'm going to use the 2 tips from VW Caddy's site about adjusting the bearing spacer, and backfilling the dead air space between the cartridge and housing with ATF.

Could you post a link? I've searched his site but didn't find anything about that. Thanks
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #33July 23, 2010, 07:48:40 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 07:48:40 am »
We cannot locate a KYB Gas-a-just (white) strut for the front of the mk1's. Which is depressing as I want some ;p

Reply #34July 23, 2010, 09:39:41 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39:41 am »
Brother put some KYB (Grey) on the front of his 84 Jetta, and they seem to be holding out fairly well. However I want to do 1up on stockies. I was looking at some Tokico's

Quote from: Tokico
TOKICO ILLUMINA SERIES STRUT ASSEMBLY, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- 5-way adjustability; No boot included; Gas-charged, twin-tube, adjustable strut assembly; Allows changes to balance, overall handling, or ride quality for a variety of driving environments through simultaneous rebound and compression damping adjustments; Features sophisticated multi-stage, variable-aperture piston and valve system combined with a 5-position bypass shutter valve; With Tokico's limited lifetime warranty.

Those struts look like they mean business, I think I would like 5 way customization! However it is still a twin tube gas charged design.. does this mean even with the adjustability and the price.. they still are not as good as White KYB'S?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:43:09 am by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #35July 23, 2010, 10:46:23 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 10:46:23 am »
Can you explain how KYB let you down?

Could you post a link? I've searched his site but didn't find anything about that. Thanks

Yeh, like 8V said, the letdown is that they aren't offering White KYB's for front of Mk1.

Here is the link for the strut tweaking:
 http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTricks/index.shtml#StrutBearing

Reply #36July 23, 2010, 11:19:36 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 11:19:36 am »
not as good as White KYB'S?

I wouldn't say not as good - necessarily.
The big deal with KYB White is the firmness of the damping from being a larger single tube - more roll control when weighted than twin tube.

Since my truck will be a weight hauler a lot of times, i need all of that i could get/afford. My back end is way stiff/tight already. Would have been good to match that as much as possible with a single piston'er up front.

In a car - or a truck/car its not going to be as much of an issue - if any at all.
Without a bunch of extra loaded weight - the adjustable feature could probably simulate what you'd have with a single piston'er.

How much are those Tokico's ?
"Some" of the adjustable ones are not externally adjustable.
"Some" have to be removed to make adjustments.
Check into that too.

Gas charged is a step up over stock.
It sounds like Sensa-Trac has a lil step up over KYB GR2 grey gas.
But thats on paper.
These tokico's would be like an adjustable sensa-trac, and with a new housing, if you want white housings, or need/want new housings from corrosion damages.

Reply #37July 23, 2010, 02:01:22 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 02:01:22 pm »
The Tokico's are externally adjustable with a screwdriver.. ;) not bad for $144.

I have found prices on the sensa-tracs locally. $105 up front, $44 for the rear. Not bad really when you consider even $105 for a respectible new front strut... I think my moms F-150 requires $110 to buy one new front rotor  :o

NEver heard of the oil back-filling, doubt the guy did that when he installed my sachs.. prob why they were done in under a year. Also that bearing trick looks legit, and a good thing to try out.

Have you ever heard of people filling the mounts (between the metal and the rubber) with silicone? I'll see if I can't find a link.

Reply #38July 23, 2010, 02:29:56 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2010, 02:29:56 pm »
So you must be pricing complete struts.
Sensa-trac cartridges are 35-45 each.

The first strut cartridge job i ever did was in the early 80's, on a 75 Rabbit my mom bought.
The instructions listed to put X amount of oil into the housings.
I have not ever done another set since then. But will do set #2 this afternoon/evening.

BlastIt just improvised early early Mk1 (mid 70's) strut mounts (prothane) between his struts/strut mounts. That was an interesting surprise to me.

I've never heard about the silicone treatment.
BlastIt must have accomplished that x10 using the prothane.

Reply #39July 23, 2010, 02:36:02 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »
Complete struts? Nope that's for one little ol' cartridge... I live in Canada remember ;) Pricey stuff up here. Found a better price on the sensa-tracs though. Lowest locally is $80.25 a cartridge.

Anyone ever try Ac Delco on their Vw? The ones I can get come with a lifetime warranty, but are a pricey $134 a strut.

Reply #40July 24, 2010, 01:24:14 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2010, 01:24:14 pm »
If you really wanna break down and cry, go to RockAuto.com and check the prices on shocks/struts/etc... for your car.

Idunno what is involved with stuff shipping into Canada as far as swerving around import duties. But if can be of any help ....

I got front struts, mounts, boot/bump kits - both sides - shipped to door - $145

Reply #41July 24, 2010, 09:48:09 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2010, 09:48:09 pm »
Those prices are dirt cheap, and with current conversion.. still cheaper then Canadian.. What I find messed up.. is how do places up here sell the same part as down there.. for nearly three times the price.. it all comes from the same manufacturer.. why the price hike? I think I will be ordering from Rock Auto.. thanks BVZ

Reply #42July 30, 2010, 06:44:13 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 06:44:13 pm »
The new Monroe Sensa-Tracs are excellent on the front of my 81 Truck under all conditions. Unloaded, loaded, and recently overloaded conditions. Can Highly recommend them, along with their matching boot/bumpstop kit.

These things just underwent some rigorous testing in their first week of service.
I'm very satisfied.

The matching rears would be nice combo if the back half of your car/truck is naked. Mine has a humongous campershell. And some vintage spring assisted rear shocks. On this particular application, i'd probly go KYB gasajust if ever have to replace rear shocks, and couldn't find another pair of spring assisted.

From other posts compared, the Monroe Sensa-Trac seems to be a good step up from Sachs, Boge, and KYB GR-2 Silvergrey.

Reply #43August 27, 2010, 10:22:42 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2010, 10:22:42 pm »
Just bought a set of KYB whites for $120 shipped :o. The part # is KG9105.

I'll do a report when I install 'em but it'll probably be a little while.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #44August 28, 2010, 03:34:39 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »
i put some KYB GR-2s on my gti recently. and they are stiff. i dont bottom out period now. no rubbage at all..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com