Author Topic: KYB Caddy rear shocks - STIFF!  (Read 20767 times)

Reply #15July 16, 2010, 12:34:42 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
Re: KYB Caddy rear shocks - STIFF!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 12:34:42 pm »
Corvette air shocks for 68 Vette here, axle flip

great ride

I carry a small nitrogen tank to adjust my load or I put my yahaha super jet in the back

Next a custom bedrug install

I will make a pattern for others

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #16July 19, 2010, 07:08:42 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 07:08:42 pm »
Sorry to swap ends on your thread Wolf - but i'm about due for some Fronts soon.

egermanparts.com (worldpac) lists a KYB GR-2 for 81 Truck.
I can get those through my CarQuest/Worldpac connection for about $40 each.

Are they gas charged ?
Anyone familiar with them ?
I want stiff/firm weight haulers.

In the rear i have the HD leafs like VWCaddy's truck.
With spring assisted rear shocks.
Its plenty stiff back there.

I put boge/sachs gas units in front when I did the rehab the other month ...

The fronts, which are touted as OEM brand replacements but after putting them on 4 vehicles
in the last few years I have a hard time believing that.  They are soft, overly so, and as such they do
pretty well at damping small road imperfections, but I bottom the front out pretty regular on this
pickup in normal driving...

I don't want that kind of action really.
But can get the Sachs Hydraulic for about $30 each from same source. I almost pre-bought and went that route a few months ago because they list as HD. But have found the HD was short for HYD for hydraulic - lol. Not HD as in Heavy Duty. Now glad i waited.

I'm done with Boge till somebody proves to me they make something worth a damn.  I might use them on my mother's car if that says anything.

I'd suck it up and do Billi HD's, I also see Koni FSD's are pretty decently priced, plan to run those on the rabbit whenever I get around to it.
Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #17July 19, 2010, 11:40:25 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 11:40:25 pm »
Having read this I'm tempted to buy a kyb set for the rear and then since I read that the kyb struts don't seem to last long enough I think I'll use bilstien for the front when I these napa ones go.

Does that sound like a good idea or would it be best to use the same brand front and rear? I don't know if they make 'em to work together or not.

Trying to save a bit.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #18July 19, 2010, 11:59:47 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 11:59:47 pm »
I'd suck it up and do Billi HD's, I also see Koni FSD's are pretty decently priced, plan to run those on the rabbit whenever I get around to it.

I know you're right - but mercy sakes - I was wanting to stay in or under the $50 each range. Think best price i found on Bils was $225 pair. Only place i've seen Koni listed was BlkForIndustries.

You gotta link to a good source/price for those Koni's ?

From what i can gather so far - the KYB GR-2 (silver) is gas - and a step up from the Boge Hyd. I can't find KYB Gas-a-just (white) for front. I'd probably be real happy with those.

I'm told Monroe Sensa-trac gas is comparable to KYB White, and can get those for $35-45 each depending whether i go online or local. I'm leaning towards the Monroes right now.
Need to decide soon.

Its gonna be a one jam session deal - new control arms with prothane, ball joints, end links, strut mounts-boots-stops, strut cartridges, and an alignment - it adds up so damm fast. Too fast !
That'll be $350+ with monroe stuff.

And need a new exhaust too. fugg

Reply #19July 20, 2010, 12:07:00 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 12:07:00 am »
Does that sound like a good idea or would it be best to use the same brand front and rear? I don't know if they make 'em to work together or not.

Trying to save a bit.

I know what you mean on pinching the coins.

If you can find KYB White gas-a-just for Front and Rear i think you'd be in great shape. KYB White in back, and Bils in front should be a great combo too.

But - i think you can get Bils on the rear for about the same price as rear KYB White. I'll check on that again.

Bils front and rear would be my dream, but too much other money to spend in other areas. And other cars want some new stuff too ...

Reply #20July 20, 2010, 12:53:33 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 12:53:33 am »
But - i think you can get Bils on the rear for about the same price as rear KYB White. I'll check on that again.

error - the $60 rears weren't Yellow Bils - they are Black Bils (touring) - and for Rabbit car. { ngpracing.com }

error - it wasn't BFI where i was scoping Koni's - it was NGP Racing.

The KYB White rears are usually $55-65 each.
Wolf got a nice deal on his pair for $85.

Reply #21July 20, 2010, 01:02:06 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 01:02:06 am »
i too have ahd a tough time finding KYB Whites for the front (Jetta) and need to figure something out as well..

Canadian Tire stocks monroe's if they are similar? I will check them out for all four corners.

Reply #22July 20, 2010, 01:17:19 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 01:17:19 am »
The best I've found for bilstein hd rears is like $96 each, so if I can get kyb gas-a-just for 60 each I'd be happy.........have I mentioned that I'll never get boge again?haha :P
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #23July 20, 2010, 01:26:38 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 01:26:38 am »
Sensa-Trac is supposed to be their 3rd level upper tier.
Monroe-matic (hydra)
Gas-matic
Sensa-Trac

I'm probably gonna pull the trigger soon and go Monroe, and call it done.
They have the mounts, nice boots and bumpstops, all available in the Monroe line. If something stinks - it would all be one brand to call and complain without getting fingers pointing somewhere else. Limited lifetime warranty.

I'm not gonna ride on the Boge/Sachs train either Rabbitman.
I trust ya'lls evaluations.

Reply #24July 21, 2010, 11:13:22 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:22 pm »
I had brand new sachs slamming of the bump stops in under a year... and I did not do any rough driving to damage them either.. Pathetic. just plain pathetic.

Monroe it is BVZ. I will be checking out their line in the near future ;)

Reply #25July 22, 2010, 12:53:44 am

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 12:53:44 am »
My right front has gone from bad to worse to totally dead.
A chip in the pavement crashes it to the bumpstop now.
It won't be safe hauling a load back from way up yonder.

Evidently, KYB doesn't offer the White gas-a-just for the front of Mk1. Looked everydamwhere online. Seems strange to me too.

Did find them as low as $42 each for the rear of Trucks along the way. Several offered them in the $45'ish range.
Those were good prices compared to 55-65 each.

I'm going forward with the Monroe Sensa-Trac and all the other stuffs from Monroe for the front.
Will be here tomorrow. Install Friday.
I'll be the guinea pig/lab rat and give feedback.

Reply #26July 22, 2010, 09:43:05 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 09:43:05 am »
Well thousands of other vehicles use Monroe, especially in Canada. I believe it is what our Midas, Meineke, Canadian Tire, and possibly even Walmart use as their suspension line-up

Reply #27July 22, 2010, 09:57:26 am

rs899

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 09:57:26 am »
If you need 'em now, you need 'em now, but it pays to look out for rebates from Monroe.  I got a whole set of Sensa Traks last year for about $20 after an $80 rebate.  I really can't say how well they work yet.  I bought them for the Cabrio, which is still sitting.  I did grab one of the fronts and stick it on the Pickup when one of them failed last Summer ( and it's still there by itself with a Boge on the other corner.....you can imagine my priorities) .  I really need to put it's mate on there as the strut mount is rattling....

Yeah, struts are a major investment because its x4.  It had been worse before I finally scored a decent strut compressor so I can do my own work.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:38:37 pm by rs899 »
'91 Jetta 1.6 NA, '82 Caddy 1.6NA, '81 Cabriolet,  4 Mercedes OM616/617s , 2 Triumphs and a Citroen DS19 in a pear tree.

Reply #28July 22, 2010, 10:25:03 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 10:25:03 am »
I have been looking around, and it appears the sensa-tracs are Monroe's highest level of strut/shock with Monroe-matic as their lowest, as you said BVZ. Not bad at all!

Quote from: Monroe People
MONROE SENSA-TRAC STRUT ASSEMBLY, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- This twin-tube gas-charged strut assembly combines position sensitive damping and Monroe's Safe Tech system to enhance control and ride safety without compromising ride comfort; Precision tapered grooves in the pressure tube provide a smooth and comfortable ride by allowing fluid to flow through and around the piston, whereas a Fluon-banded piston and application-engineered rod displaced valving provide extra vehicle control once the piston travels beyond the grooves; Other features include all weather fluid for reduced friction and smooth rod reaction, a hardened and chrome-plated piston rod, as well as a unique rod guide and single lip seal for longer service life and consistent performance; Monroe Strut-Mate Boot Kit with jounce bumper sold separately; With Monroe's limited lifetime warranty.

I am be liking what I am be seeing. Monroe seems to be a good choice! Suspension is a huge investment, especially for me, when I have to buy springs too :(

Reply #29July 22, 2010, 01:14:23 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »
I've always bought Monroe for my cars and been a happy camper.
My Grd Chkee got spoiled with adjustable Rancho, though.
Because i caught an eBay deal on them NIB.

I couldn't ever find out whether these Sensa-Tracs were monotube or twintube. But i figured they were twin. All the write ups were identical to 8V's, except for the twin tube designation.

I wanted/wished for monotube like the KYB White and Bils HD.
But i'm feeling like the Sensa-Trac is going to be better than anyone else's twintube offering, and same/less money. HD Bils are not in the budget, and KYB has let me down.

8V, in case it matters, the springs only control the ride height.
If your ride height is acceptable, you can bypass buying them. $pring$ are a chunk of money.

S-PAutomotive.com