Author Topic: fan switch replacement- any better ones out there?  (Read 2232 times)

December 07, 2005, 05:24:10 pm

girl Mark

fan switch replacement- any better ones out there?
« on: December 07, 2005, 05:24:10 pm »
My 84 Rabbit just ate another fan switch sensor (?)- I think it had been replaced just before I got the car a few months ago and its a really common problem on these engines and tends to kill engine heads.

Is there an upgraded version out there that's more reliable than the stock one? It seems that with all the trouble they've caused someone would have built somethign better by now...

Mark

Reply #1December 07, 2005, 08:04:00 pm

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:04:00 pm »
Yeah I had the one on my pickup fail in the 'not running' config- not good!  The one I've had has worked good since it was replaced a couple years ago but I don't remember the brand.  I think it was german made if that helps. :?

The car that I've had the most problems eating the fan switches is my Audi 4000.  I think it is on #3 and I've only had the car for 4 or 5 years.  The last one I believe was the wrong part though and somehow contributed to its early demise.

Something that might help extend the life (a guess) would be to get the 'proper' range fan switch- meaning that it doesn't kick on until the engine heats up to 203F and back off at 194.  Some people like to put in "cooler" switches that kick on sooner but this undoubtedly puts more cycles on the switch.

Sorry I can't remember the make of the switch.- If you have a reputable import auto parts supplier they should hopefully know what is crap and what is well made. :wink:

Reply #2December 07, 2005, 08:51:29 pm

girl Mark

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 08:51:29 pm »
I'm actually considering whether a bypass manual switch can be installed into the circuit (I'm sure it can) which I might mount permanently on the dash so that when (not if) the thing fails again I'm able to flip it back to life. Ugh.

Mark

Reply #3December 08, 2005, 01:50:53 pm

moTthediesel

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:50:53 pm »
I'm actually considering whether a bypass manual switch can be installed into the circuit

When I bought my sad old Quantum, the electric fans weren't hooked up at all! The guy I bought it from said: "If you're stuck in traffic, just get out, open the hood, and twist these two wires together"   :roll:

By that standard, a toggle on the dash would be the height of refinement :wink:

moT

PS: Are you the famous "girl mark" bio-diesel maven?
If so -- SALUTE!
'82 LandCruiser Diesel Conversion
4Cylinder 3B/KKKturbo/AudiIntercooler(gone, BNF)
'92 Dodge/Cummins D350 Getrag Dually
356 w/Quantum 1.6TD (73 mpg!)
'85 BMW 524td (Der Komisar) 
'00 Jetta TDI 5spd

Reply #4December 09, 2005, 01:55:51 pm

girl Mark

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 01:55:51 pm »
yep, I've done the 'get out if its getting hot and stick the jumper wire between the two terminals' thing. Ugh.

and yes,  i'm on the biodiesel forums. Thank you for the welcome.

mark

Reply #5December 13, 2005, 12:31:18 am

DieselsRcool

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 12:31:18 am »
Quote from: "girl Mark"
I'm actually considering whether a bypass manual switch can be installed into the circuit (I'm sure it can) which I might mount permanently on the dash so that when (not if) the thing fails again I'm able to flip it back to life. Ugh.

Mark

That's what I did, right next to the temp gauge. My 80 Caddy did not come with a gauge, only an idiot light, so I added my own gauge. I also added an LED so I can see if/when the rad fan kicks on.  I had the idiot light switch and the rad fan switch fail at the same time once. Caused a severe overheat and cost me a head.   :cry:

If it's overheating when you are stuck in traffic (common) you can roll down the windows and turn the heater and fan on full to cool it down. :D

S-PAutomotive.com