S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Electrical misc. troubleshooting  (Read 3345 times)

June 21, 2010, 10:58:43 pm

wolfsburged

• Junior

Electrical misc. troubleshooting
« on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:43 pm »
Hey all,
Have a few random issues I'm trying to sort out. In the process of trying to decode the wiring diagrams to help, but figured maybe someone has some nuggets to drop in order to speed me along.

I just replaced the fuse block with a brand new one hoping to fix a few issues at once. A few did get fixed, but a few remain. I've replaced the battery ground strap as well as removed, cleaned, and fixed a number of grounds on the car, including the two main posts under the dash.

*Need new bulbs & holders for two of the VDO gauges, the cigarette lighter surround, ashtray, and HVAC control panel
** Best I've found so far on these are from mk1 autohaus on ebay, but not so cheap:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360123367997&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

*Figure out why interior lights do not work on the door setting. I've replaced the actual light fixture and bulb (old was crumbled). Works if you switch "ON" but in the middle "door ajar" setting nothing happens if you open any door.

*Seat belt chime / door buzzer relay missing. Need a relay, new ones are expensive, anybody got one?

*Upshift light not coming on. Tested LED in cluster as good. New reverse switch recently installed (big brown one, stock wiring). Switches for idle and full throttle seemed to show good contact via multi-meter. Need to test relay - how? Also have a good working W-terminal alternator (have Dakota Digital converter which works off of it). Should I be able to pull the relay and find that signal at one of the pins?

*Coolant gauge pegs immediately & LED begins to flash if the sender is hooked up. Yellow/brown wire under the dash. Sender hooked up to my VDO oil temp gauge via separate wire seems to work (80 C shows while driving warm, in traffic/stopped rises to 100 C then fans kick on and it drops). Has done this on two different clusters with two different gauges.

*Need new washer fluid pump. Seems to be a very early style, not the integrated pump/housing type. World Impex or others seem to want nearly $100 for one! Found this aftermarket pump for $40: http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/22824/nm/Audi_100_VW_Dasher_Rabbit_Windshield_Washer_Pump Any luck with this or other cheaper replacements?

1984 Jetta GL Turbo Diesel, ~180k miles

Reply #1June 22, 2010, 12:02:20 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Electrical misc. troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:02:20 am »
Are we talking about your 84 Jetta?

*Coolant gauge pegs immediately & LED begins to flash if the sender is hooked up. Yellow/brown wire under the dash. Sender hooked up to my VDO oil temp gauge via separate wire seems to work (80 C shows while driving warm, in traffic/stopped rises to 100 C then fans kick on and it drops). Has done this on two different clusters with two different gauges

Check the resistance of the sender vs temperature of the coolant. I believe the specs are in the Bentley.

*Figure out why interior lights do not work on the door setting. I've replaced the actual light fixture and bulb (old was crumbled). Works if you switch "ON" but in the middle "door ajar" setting nothing happens if you open any door.

Check the door switches. They usually get gummed up.
Tyler

Reply #2June 22, 2010, 01:00:21 pm

Baron VonZeppelin

Re: Electrical misc. troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:00:21 pm »
Interior light - if its a 3 position switch - center spot is full off/never on.

I might have these next settings backwards, so might be vice versa, full forward is auto light with door switch, full rearward is manual on. If that helps anything.

---------------------

Seat belt relay can come from garden variety mk1 mk2 and possibly mk3. Check blade arrangement versus hazard flasher relay and door ajar relay. Seems like i remember they all have same arrangement if they have the little vented speaker thingy on the end. I used what i think was a mk2 hazard relay for my seatbelt relay in my truck.
No chime, but it works the dash light. Just something that was on hand at the time.

-------------------

Washer pump. I've not run across any 81-84 with that arrangement. But only been hitting rabbits and trucks.
Have noticed the diesels used diffy from gasser.

Can you post a picture of your tank and pump ?
I would have thought jetta would be same as rabbit/truck.
Mounts on driver side - body bracket next to battery - has a screw cap type mounting provision that 'looks' almost like a second fill cap.
Makes me curious if yours has been improvised.

As far as the pump you linked to, you can improvise an mk2/mk3 pump or a generic aftermarket - to save buckos.

----------------------

Jim is going to let me start getting some parts off one of the 81 NA Jettas he has (finally). Post a pic of anything you need and i'll check on it for you.