Author Topic: 03 Jetta ABS Module  (Read 2864 times)

May 13, 2010, 07:14:33 pm

Ozca

03 Jetta ABS Module
« on: May 13, 2010, 07:14:33 pm »
This is a true story and I wonder whether the TDI fuel savings are worth the effort and expense when something goes wrong. My TDI has 229000kms on it.
I have driven my 03 Jetta TDI for awhile with the ABS light on. All that means is the ABS will not function if the brakes are applied while stopping on slippery pavement or ice.
A few months ago it was checked at the dealers and they said it would likely be the ABS module needing replacement for $927 plus installation. @#%&!
Recently I drove three hundred yards out from my garage and suddenly the oil pressure warning light and the brake warning light started flashing. The tach also was then erratic too.
Stopped the engine and checked the oil level...oil ok, no leaks so after a couple of tries started up and returned home and shut it off. Could then start it but engine immediately shut down.
Towed it 87 km to the nearest dealer and 8.85 hours later...Cdn $730, they said that the ABS and poor ground connection of the neg cable was causing the problem, so had to overnight at a motel. Next morning they bypassed the ABS so that I could drive it home in third gear with no OD and no first or second gear. Could shift manually though.
I have since found and purchased a used ABS module from a wreck with 88000kms and now will have to pay a couple of hours labour to the dealer to install it and bleed the brakes, hoping that this is the end of the problem.
Once again...@#%&!
Ozca.

2006 Jetta TDI DSG auto
=============
1999 Thomas c/w Kubota Diesel 40 hp.

S-PAutomotive.com