Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Anyone used qualitygermanautoparts.com?  (Read 1988 times)

May 08, 2010, 12:00:09 pm

78sharpshooter

Anyone used qualitygermanautoparts.com?
« on: May 08, 2010, 12:00:09 pm »
They are not too far from me and seem to have a few used NA and turbo motors.

Reply #1May 08, 2010, 12:09:15 pm

arb

Re: Anyone used qualitygermanautoparts.com?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 12:09:15 pm »
Welcome to the group !  I thought I read at some time one of our group bought an engine from them, but a search shows nothing....

They just opened, drive over and take a look. They are open 9 - 2 today.  Let us know :-)

Reply #2May 08, 2010, 08:32:59 pm

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:32:59 pm »

What are you installing ?

Gb
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 10:55:10 am by GEE-BEE »
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #3May 08, 2010, 08:46:32 pm

78sharpshooter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:46:32 pm »
Well, after changing out the head gasket it appears that it did not work out so well perhaps because of the gasser head bolts. I have an 85 jetta non-turbo and found a receipt showing a used 1981 motor was installed it 2003. I pulled the head and there was major corrosion on 2 or 3 of the coolant passages in the head which was allowing pressure to enter the coolant systems and slight steam out of the exhaust. Ran great and started very easy. I had the head professionally welded up and resurfaced and installed a german head gasket and t seemed fine until I came to a large hill this morning and it started getting hot so I pulled over. Could see coolant sprayed around underneath the reservoir and I checked the oil fill cap on the valve cover are there were a few chocholate shake bubbles on there  but the oil was not chocholate shake. I really like this little car and am willing to do whatever needed to have a reliable diesel commuter car so I am going to use the correct bolts this time and redo the head gasket (which having just done it should go rather quickly) and if that does not work, I am going to get a longblock for it so I came across qualitygermanautoparts and saw that they have used motors listed on the website.

Reply #4May 09, 2010, 12:34:01 am

arb

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 12:34:01 am »
Well, after changing out the head gasket it appears that it did not work out so well perhaps because of the gasser head bolts. I have an 85 jetta non-turbo and found a receipt showing a used 1981 motor was installed it 2003. I pulled the head and there was major corrosion on 2 or 3 of the coolant passages in the head which was allowing pressure to enter the coolant systems and slight steam out of the exhaust. Ran great and started very easy. I had the head professionally welded up and resurfaced and installed a german head gasket and t seemed fine until I came to a large hill this morning and it started getting hot so I pulled over. Could see coolant sprayed around underneath the reservoir and I checked the oil fill cap on the valve cover are there were a few chocholate shake bubbles on there  but the oil was not chocholate shake. I really like this little car and am willing to do whatever needed to have a reliable diesel commuter car so I am going to use the correct bolts this time and redo the head gasket (which having just done it should go rather quickly) and if that does not work, I am going to get a longblock for it so I came across qualitygermanautoparts and saw that they have used motors listed on the website.

If you read the last half or so of my diesel 1.6L in a dodge caravan, you'll read a similar fate after I resurfaced my head after an overheat (did not have a temp gauged that worked at the time) - and a german HG.... worked for a while, but with a hard run in stop & go on the freeway, same thing happened again. I am now waiting on a new, although questionable quality new 1.9 hydro head to come  :o

Reply #5May 10, 2010, 12:00:32 am

78sharpshooter

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:00:32 am »
Did you come to the conclusion that the head was bad? I am going to retry the HG replacement but check the level of the head on a granite check plate and obviously use the correct headbolts this time. If it fails again I am just going to fork out the $$$ to get a proper head or entire rebuilt motor. I hate not being able to drive this car becuase it just feels really nice to drive and know that you are much more fuel efficient that all the other cars around you. In the meantime I have to commute with my 93 F350 7.3 diesel which is 14-15 mpg!!!!!! Do you have any reccommendations for quality head gaskets and/or heads and motors?

Reply #6May 10, 2010, 12:18:09 am

arb

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:18:09 am »
Did you come to the conclusion that the head was bad? I am going to retry the HG replacement but check the level of the head on a granite check plate and obviously use the correct headbolts this time. If it fails again I am just going to fork out the $$$ to get a proper head or entire rebuilt motor. I hate not being able to drive this car becuase it just feels really nice to drive and know that you are much more fuel efficient that all the other cars around you. In the meantime I have to commute with my 93 F350 7.3 diesel which is 14-15 mpg!!!!!! Do you have any reccommendations for quality head gaskets and/or heads and motors?

I am certain my head or HG has failed again. The symptoms are exactly the same as the last 2 times - combustion gases pushing coolant out of the system only while the engine is running, and confirmed the HG was blown on head removal. If you have some spare time, you can read my details:
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=15633.510

As far as the head goes, I resurfaced it twice (Over heated 2 times w/o a good thermometer due to 2 separate causes) - the second, was to within service limits (Flat to 0.003" or 0.004" - I forget.) but I got worried as the cam starts to become not flat at that point. (You are removing aluminum from either end of the head when you do this, so when you bolt it on, the head flexes back and the cam journals are not in perfect flat.)

My 99' powerstroke 250 crew cab 4x4 off road got that mpg the only time I had mineral oil in it. Back to 20 mpg @ 70 mph when I went back to full synthetic (Delvac One)