S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Shifter Problems!  (Read 2901 times)

May 05, 2010, 02:59:44 am

ffgb

• Junior

Shifter Problems!
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:59:44 am »
My shifter is soooo sloppy!  It is sloppy in every direction.  Here is the kicker-I just installed the the rebuilt motor and reinstalled the transmission.  Now, when I shift into 1st gear, I am actually in reverse.  I don't have to push the shifter down if I don't have too.  To access 1st, I have to engage the gear just short of 3rd gear.  I have a 4-speed and realize now that  I have to rebuild the shifter/bushings.  I would like to use delrin bushings.  Also, I hear that the ball bushing is different size compared to the 5-speed?  Is the shift rod bushing replaceable on the 4-speed like on the 5-speed?  Where is a good place to purchase delrin bushings and all.  I see that USRT has delrin shifter bushings, but don't know if the ball bushing will fit the 4-speed.  Please Help.  I want to keep the cost down as much as possible!!!

Reply #1May 05, 2010, 11:10:46 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: Shifter Problems!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:10:46 pm »
4 and 5 speeds both use linkage and all of the parts can be changed. The rods and ball are different shapes/sized though.

As for your shift issue, it's just out of adjustment, the thing that makes you need to push down is not at the tranny but at other (bottom) end of the shifter.

There's a rod that goes foreward from the shifter and at the front end is a clamp that needs to be loosened and adjusted.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Fixmyvw.com