Author Topic: Carnage Pics: The Death of Smokey Eddy's Jetta  (Read 10642 times)

Reply #30May 03, 2010, 12:50:38 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: Carnage Pics: The Death of Smokey Eddy's Jetta
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50:38 pm »
 :( Bummer man. That really sucks.

I have a 1.9 bottom end that I could probably strap to a pallet or through in a tote if you want. IM me
Tyler

Reply #31May 03, 2010, 01:10:29 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 01:10:29 pm »
:( Bummer man. That really sucks.

I have a 1.9 bottom end that I could probably strap to a pallet or through in a tote if you want. IM me

THANK YOU TYLER!
fingers crossed that the head is OK
I'll definately be going in that direction i think if my top end is still good. No need in buying a complete engine if i have 2/3rds of one already.
oh man the anticipation of tomorrow is killing me - definitely not focused at work right now...
I'll take lots of pictures of the tear down + the pile of bits in the bottom of the oil pan! Yippee Hurray!
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #32May 03, 2010, 01:21:55 pm

Runt

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 01:21:55 pm »
Eddy, I'm sorry to hear about your motor.  The last motor that did that to me was a small block chev, It popped at the 'Welcome to Cache Creek' sign, at midnight, in my motorhome, with my wife, two kids, and mother-in-law.   :o  While everyone else panicked, I pulled over and camly went to bed.  :)  We wound up leaving that one behind, and getting a new motorhome, now I always have BCAA.  They would have towed the damn thing home for me, free!  Less than $150 a year, the BCAA is cheap insurance in my mind.

If you wind up with vixentd's long block, you could recoup a little by selling the extra head (to me?).  Seriously, I'd be interested in the head, but likely not have money for a couple weeks.  I just bought another car (92), so that ties up everything I've got this week.

And it sounds like there are a few of us who might be able to give you a hand with swapping a new one in.  Motor swap GTG at Eddy's place?
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #33May 03, 2010, 02:23:47 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 02:23:47 pm »
now I always have BCAA.  They would have towed the damn thing home for me, free!  Less than $150 a year, the BCAA is cheap insurance in my mind.

If you wind up with vixentd's long block, you could recoup a little by selling the extra head (to me?).  Seriously, I'd be interested in the head, but likely not have money for a couple weeks.  I just bought another car (92), so that ties up everything I've got this week.

And it sounds like there are a few of us who might be able to give you a hand with swapping a new one in.  Motor swap GTG at Eddy's place?

Yes, BCAA is more often than not worth it. I had bcaa for a year but forgot to renew it.
That sucks about the motor home! hahaha i love the calm response though. i certainly wasn't that laid back. I sat in my car, tilted the chair back and just blasted my stereo while i waited for the tow truck.

As for Vixentd's long block - I have to touch base with him and see how much he is asking for it and I'll see what it would cost to get tyler's bottom end to me. Then i'll make a decision. The big issue is i need pistons too and those are the expensive/hard to get my greasy mits on bits.

as for a GTG meet at my place everyone is always welcome! haha i'd love to see some vw turbo D's that are worth looking at opposed to my heap of broken bits. You guys would all see the huge burn out lines from my car not more than a week ago too!

As for the spare head possibility, I think i'd run vixentd's engine as is and port my head out more and get it nice and mirrored and then i'd swap them and sell it to you. That would work well because you would have some time. But time and TUESDAY will tell what i do in the coming week. You totally got dibs on the head though if that happens.

I love it how dubbers help dubbers. it's fantastic!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:25:35 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #34May 03, 2010, 10:36:58 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 10:36:58 pm »
Smokey Eddy GTG List

1. RadoTD

I'll see you tomorrow! :) And change your signature from DEAD to COMATOSE or something. The monster will live on.

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Reply #35May 03, 2010, 10:38:28 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 10:38:28 pm »
And change your signature from DEAD to COMATOSE or something. The monster will live on.

YES!! That's the attitude needed here! It's gonna come out breathing even more fire! maybe you can blow up some 020's lol

Reply #36May 03, 2010, 11:18:14 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2010, 11:18:14 pm »
Hahahahha yeah that would be interesting. throw a clutch through the hood you mean?

I suppose it is going to come back to life but it will be totally different! different displacement!
Right now it has SUCH a massive bleeding hole in it... i haven't gone back into the garage since i took that picture.
one friend has already said "time for a new car" on facebook :P
He'll see a new car alright ;)
Ed

Reply #37May 03, 2010, 11:20:02 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 11:20:02 pm »
He'll see twice the burnout pics for sure!!! MUHAHAHAHA! NEw car.. PFFT! this is a Big kids lego set. SWAP IT OUT :P

Good luck ED! SOrry I live 1/8 of the way across the world.. :( I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Reply #38May 03, 2010, 11:21:11 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:11 pm »
You could just JB it back together. Your 3 cylinder should still be putting down more power then my NA :P
Tyler

Reply #39May 03, 2010, 11:24:08 pm

RadoTD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Stage WTF
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24:08 pm »
You could just JB it back together. Your 3 cylinder should still be putting down more power then my NA :P

HA! Yes... JB weld and duct tape. What more could you need?

And Eddy, give me some time to build my motor and we can race our AAZ's!

enough boost is when you have 3 dimple marks in the hood from the valve cover nuts..  ;D

Reply #40May 03, 2010, 11:25:23 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 11:25:23 pm »

Drywall screws ought to do it up reallll nice. lol

Reply #41May 03, 2010, 11:31:19 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 11:31:19 pm »

Drywall screws ought to do it up reallll nice. lol

laugh all you want, I have seen motors with bigger holes in the block rebuilt(with a new rod and polished crank of course) and patched up with marine tex and run many many more hours.

sorry to hear that your car went tits up, but breaking things is all that pushes us to build bigger and better things.

hell, I have gone through three bodies, two blocks and four heads, and I and still driving the "same" car...
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #42May 03, 2010, 11:32:34 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 11:32:34 pm »
hell, I have gone through three bodies, two blocks and four heads, and I and still driving the "same" car...

That's what it is all about with these cars man! Big Kids Lego.

Reply #43May 03, 2010, 11:52:38 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 11:52:38 pm »
i laughed so hard at "same" car...
ahahahhaha!!!

well it did idle for a few seconds on 3 cylinders before i killed it. and Matt (radotd) im not waiting for ANYONE
XD

If I have to overbore this replacement aaz block i dont know if i have the coin for over sized pistons and machine shop costs.
it would mean cancelling my vacation with my brother to england to see my cousins ='(
Ed

Reply #44May 04, 2010, 12:01:02 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2010, 12:01:02 am »
If I have to overbore this replacement aaz block i dont know if i have the coin for over sized pistons and machine shop costs.
it would mean cancelling my vacation with my brother to england to see my cousins ='(

cant do that...

even if you have to go with another 1.6 you should still be able to go bigger and better.

I am sure you can find something you can afford.
if I was not leaving town for the summer on Wednesday I would volunteer to pull and crate my newly "extra" motor and ship it to you for a very reasonable price.

unfortunately, I am leaving in two days and I still have to finish up some school work...

I am sure something is lying around someones place.   *hint, hint*

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Fixmyvw.com