Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Finished my car...photos  (Read 3435 times)

February 10, 2012, 12:08:11 pm

Helliouse

• Junior

Finished my car...photos
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:11 pm »
Hello,
Thought I would share my finished product, well semi finished, enough that I can start driving it.

Photos:
Purdy Photos

Youtube:
The Car...

Still have a few items I want to complete, but they will come later. Have other vehicles i need to get running...

My 1990 Jetta TD, what it got:
Franken 1.6L (1.6 Block, 1.9 head)
Stock turbo
Merc Injectors
minor porting
little Inter-cooler (3x11x22)
new suspension w/ ~1" lift (winter drifts tend to ruin low cars here)
Poly Bushings
2.75" exhaust
3" intake
upgrade rad fans
Not 100PSI pump, Carter high pressure pump (14-16PSI) 100 GPH free flow. (Sorry for getting my numbers mixed up!)

Things to come:
Cold air Intake
Rebuild injection pump
Tuned intake mani
Tuned exhaust mani
Two Temp Sensors for intake (Pre inter-cooler, post Inter-cooler)
Hopefully a bigger turbo, might be VNT
Oh ya, and body work...and some new paint.

Not much but when you do it all your self, makes it something to be proud of!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:17:36 pm by Helliouse »

1990 Jetta TD...Its a Project! And wait...its built in Wolfsberg! swEEt - 1.6l TD = Dead... TDI ALH in the works...

Reply #1February 10, 2012, 12:13:58 pm

DarkwingDork

• User+

• Mk1Ultra.com
Re: Finished my car...photos
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:58 pm »
Nicely done! ;D Of course, a project car is never really "finished" but I know what you mean. Did you mean to post a video of some dude playing Carol of the Bells on a cello, or was that supposed to be a video of the car?
1984 Rabbit Wolfsburg 1.6/5-speed
My Mk1 FAQ/DIY site:
http://mk1ultra.com
My build thread:
vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=30776.0

Reply #2February 10, 2012, 12:31:44 pm

Helliouse

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 12:31:44 pm »
lmao
was sending that to my wife...will fix
Thanks!
1990 Jetta TD...Its a Project! And wait...its built in Wolfsberg! swEEt - 1.6l TD = Dead... TDI ALH in the works...

Reply #3February 10, 2012, 12:36:12 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »
I must ask, why the 100psi fuel pump???

Reply #4February 10, 2012, 12:43:22 pm

Helliouse

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »
I bought it to replace my Mothers (PD in tank crapped out), needed something until a new in tank showed up. Seeming it was kicking a round I threw it on. I didn't really do it for any performance reasons, it is mostly to keep fuel cycling through to keep the parts cool. Read some where that pushing the fuel through doesn't hurt, for cooling reasons.
I have noticed it helps with starts, primes the injection pump quite nicely.

I am also wondering if is a 100 psi, I can't remember now, it was the only pump I could get my hands on quickly that would keep up with the flow of my Mom's PD. I think as a result is can hit 100. I would have to look at the box.

Reply #5February 10, 2012, 12:45:58 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:45:58 pm »
Of course it will help with pushing the fuel, but I think 100psi is just a tad to high.. like 90-95psi too high lol.

Reply #6February 10, 2012, 12:58:04 pm

DarkwingDork

• User+

• Mk1Ultra.com
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:58:04 pm »
Lolz! I kinda figured ;)
1984 Rabbit Wolfsburg 1.6/5-speed
My Mk1 FAQ/DIY site:
http://mk1ultra.com
My build thread:
vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=30776.0

Reply #7February 10, 2012, 12:58:47 pm

Helliouse

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 12:58:47 pm »
I am pretty sure that pump can't hit it, I think the chart I seen for it had some very specific numbers, line size etc to hit 100 PSI.
I will have to dig out the part number and check.

Reply #8February 10, 2012, 04:11:18 pm

Helliouse

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:11:18 pm »
I do have a warning for anyone working on this engine.
Be very, very careful about pulling your oil gallery plug, above the intermediate shaft. The machine shop that worked on my bock pulled the rear plug, and once replaced it leaked like a no one business. The oil pressure pushed the plug out, they use a imperial plug.
I looked online, check this form, found a online store Techonic Tuning (sp), bought what they offered as the properly sized item...once again didn't fit.
At this point I was very, very good at pulling my engine, and putting it back it...also fairly short tempered!

My solution...Drill the whole out, tap it with 3/8 - 18 NTP tap, and plug the B....
No more leaking. You want stress though... Used a lot of grease, slowly drilled it out, very slowly... and very slowly tapped it.

Moral, talk to your engine shop and make sure they can replace the plug properly if they pull it. I know it's a good idea to pull it when tanking the block. but make damn sure they can plug it. Nothing so much fun as fighting with a leak for 3 weeks, that never should have happened.

The shop I used is probably the only shop you can use in central Alberta, sad that happened.
Brad

Reply #9February 11, 2012, 12:13:52 am

GTiTDi

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Schnell Snail TDI performance
    • My 91 GTI --> TDI swap thread
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:13:52 am »
I do have a warning for anyone working on this engine.
Be very, very careful about pulling your oil gallery plug, above the intermediate shaft. The machine shop that worked on my bock pulled the rear plug, and once replaced it leaked like a no one business. The oil pressure pushed the plug out, they use a imperial plug.
I looked online, check this form, found a online store Techonic Tuning (sp), bought what they offered as the properly sized item...once again didn't fit.
At this point I was very, very good at pulling my engine, and putting it back it...also fairly short tempered!

My solution...Drill the whole out, tap it with 3/8 - 18 NTP tap, and plug the B....
No more leaking. You want stress though... Used a lot of grease, slowly drilled it out, very slowly... and very slowly tapped it.

Moral, talk to your engine shop and make sure they can replace the plug properly if they pull it. I know it's a good idea to pull it when tanking the block. but make damn sure they can plug it. Nothing so much fun as fighting with a leak for 3 weeks, that never should have happened.

The shop I used is probably the only shop you can use in central Alberta, sad that happened.
Brad

That is a shame. I am guessing that may be where the black spot below your bumper came from?
91 GTI/ AHU spec'd 1Z power, GT2052W w custom adapter (available through me, PM me for details),TDTUNING software, PP764 nozzles, Massive spearco FMIC, PD intake, Koni reds
97 B4VGLX AHU, RC3, 357's, PP'd head, Shine springs and Koni yellows

Reply #10February 13, 2012, 04:56:30 pm

Helliouse

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:56:30 pm »
yes one of the spots! Had a leak from the Valve cover as well.

Drove it a good 200KM this weekend, with no issues. I was enjoying driving it! Highway 2 up here was a lot of fun.

I have to remount my water temp sensor, to get a better reading, not sure what its at.

Fixmyvw.com