Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1984 Jetta , TDI WE MUST! (1.9 AHU M-TDI)  (Read 192358 times)

Reply #45August 21, 2010, 01:40:28 am

8v-of-fury

Re: 1998 TDI/02A --> 1981 Jetta
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 01:40:28 am »
Ok, so after amounting all the work this is at once I will be doing it in steps I think...

To start I will be taking a VERY LARGE part of the donor car, damn near everything but the kitchen sink ;)

I'm gonna take;

• Engine & Transmission
  • Intercooler & Piping
  • Cable Shifter & Cables
  • Hydro Clutch Assembly
  • Entire Car Wiring Harness (labeled before dissasembly)
  • Mk3 Cluster
  • Mk3 complete dash (possible future project)
  • A/C Condenser & Compressor (another possible future project)
  • Central Locking System/Anti-theft.. (this I want to incorporate in to the 81.. that would be too cool)

This is all I can think of for right now.. Can you think of anything else I may want to keep??

Also my buddy Catlin brought up a good point to me (this is why I wanna keep the Central Locking / Anti-theft), which was that the ECU needs to be disarmed to start the engine.. and this disarm action happens when the power locks or key is used to physically hit the micro switch in the door to disarm the alarm.. Its a vacuum system isn't it? Wouldn't be too hard to run the stuff for that to work would it? Probably just have the one switch in the drivers door... What are your thoughts here please!!

So yeah I figure I will start off easy easy easy.. by starting with the adaptation of the TDI and Wiring. Swap motors and get the TDI mounted up to the 020 (and make sure to launch it easy ;)). And then get the wiring swapped over to CE2 and all that in order, while addressing all the body work and assorted fun stuff at the same time. For a start on my swap.. I will be keeping the 02A/Cable/Hydro setup for another day.. I feel as trying to do it all at once will have this car off the road for a very very long time.. I don't think my 1.7 I will be driving has enough life left in her to last that long :P

I think it will be a good start.. who knows I might just stay with the 020 and keep it stock hp/tq #'s... (:P Yeahh Riight)

Reply #46August 23, 2010, 05:17:17 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 05:17:17 pm »
Ok, so after amounting all the work this is at once I will be doing it in steps I think...

To start I will be taking a VERY LARGE part of the donor car, damn near everything but the kitchen sink ;)

I'm gonna take;

• Engine & Transmission
  • Intercooler & Piping
  • Cable Shifter & Cables
  • Hydro Clutch Assembly
  • Mk3 Cluster
  • Central Locking System/Anti-theft.. (this I want to incorporate in to the 81.. that would be too cool)

This is all I can think of for right now.. Can you think of anything else I may want to keep??

Also my buddy Catlin brought up a good point to me (this is why I wanna keep the Central Locking / Anti-theft), which was that the ECU needs to be disarmed to start the engine.. and this disarm action happens when the power locks or key is used to physically hit the micro switch in the door to disarm the alarm.. Its a vacuum system isn't it? Wouldn't be too hard to run the stuff for that to work would it? Probably just have the one switch in the drivers door... What are your thoughts here please!!

So yeah I figure I will start off easy easy easy.. by starting with the adaptation of the TDI and Wiring. Swap motors and get the TDI mounted up to the 020 (and make sure to launch it easy ;)). And then get the wiring swapped over to CE2 and all that in order, while addressing all the body work and assorted fun stuff at the same time. For a start on my swap.. I will be keeping the 02A/Cable/Hydro setup for another day.. I feel as trying to do it all at once will have this car off the road for a very very long time.. I don't think my 1.7 I will be driving has enough life left in her to last that long :P

I think it will be a good start.. who knows I might just stay with the 020 and keep it stock hp/tq #'s... (:P Yeahh Riight)

does it matter if your trans has 5 hp or 500 hp going to it if you cant hook it up good and hard? you need lots of traction, and some weight to break it..

if you cant load it very hard, and in a mk1, you cant, then you wont break. a light car is way easier on 020 trannies. the power isnt what breaks them, the car being stopped, and the engine all revved up is what does it. drop hammer. parts fly.

not so in a light car tho. i think an 020 trans behind a TDI would be fine in such a light car. remember this, it weighs like half that of a overweight mk3..

VW it aint just a car, its a way of life..... Boost, Soot, Repeat

Reply #47August 23, 2010, 08:37:35 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 08:37:35 pm »

I'm gonna take;

• Engine & Transmission
  • Intercooler & Piping
  • Cable Shifter & Cables
  • Hydro Clutch Assembly
  • Mk3 Cluster

does it matter if your trans has 5 hp or 500 hp going to it if you cant hook it up good and hard? you need lots of traction, and some weight to break it..

if you cant load it very hard, and in a mk1, you cant, then you wont break. a light car is way easier on 020 trannies. the power isnt what breaks them, the car being stopped, and the engine all revved up is what does it. drop hammer. parts fly.

not so in a light car tho. i think an 020 trans behind a TDI would be fine in such a light car. remember this, it weighs like half that of a overweight mk3..

That and wheel hop is VERY bad. Usually on the 3rd hop the CV will start making appearances :D

Reply #48August 23, 2010, 10:01:08 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 10:01:08 pm »
Well if you really think about it, I can hook it up slowly and then get on it and have 150 ft/lbs going through it before 2000rpm.. which is a whole ton more than it was designed for. If I can score a welder I will be going the 02A and make my own mounts.. and even make the rear mount wide so I can upgrade to a huge turbo and 3" DP down the road :P

Also Lucas, I dunno about them grenading like that. Bro's 84 pulls a mean peel-out and he hasn't wrecked anything just yet.. or is he threatening the life of his tranny!? lmao

Reply #49August 23, 2010, 10:10:54 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:54 pm »
Straight burn outs aren't bad, but wheel hop is. Usually about the 3rd or 4th hard hop the CV says hello by rolling out from under the car :D Or I have a buddy that has twisted a shaft in half and the CVs stayed put :o

Wheel hop usually sounds like a bang, bang, bang, BOOM CRUNCH METAL LIFE SUCKS RIGHT NOW as opposed to a screetch or squeel of peeling them off

Reply #50August 24, 2010, 01:41:24 pm

honda_is_the_best

• Junior

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »
yea, wheel hop is bad, thank god mk1s dont really suffer from it too bad, least mine dont..
VW it aint just a car, its a way of life..... Boost, Soot, Repeat

Reply #51August 25, 2010, 02:29:27 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 02:29:27 pm »
a done out ALH TDI in a slammed mk2 jetta, completely blacked out, is my ultimate goal.
my jetta used to wheel hop. not anymore ;)

Gears and stuff can take force. They are designed to. It's when you drop the hammer like the guy said.
CV's can take a lot of twisting force but not sudden force like dumping the clutch and so on.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:47:26 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #52September 03, 2010, 02:38:08 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 02:38:08 am »
Today I commenced taking apart the front end and removing the engine wiring harness. Labelling every single vacuum hose, plug, and connector.

Had to shut down shop and wait out a rain lol

But there are a few things (which I'm sure are essential as part of the swap) that I just don't have names for, or have no idea on their function. So if you wouldn't mind helping me out a little bit that'd be great.

First off these two switches i'm guessing, both have rubber lines going to them. I believe the left ones lines go down to the cold side of the turbo, and the others go to the intake tract. what are they and what is their purpose? They are slated to make the swap with the engine.

The next is this little guy that used to reside up near the coolant bottle, and has to vacuum lines running in to it. One from the vacuum pump and the other goes in to the cabin with the coolant lines on the firewall. What does it do?

Next question is how do i disconnect this monster!? It looks as though it is a connector for most of the front of the engines electrical sources, a very good idea in my mind, one easy connector.. whole engine should be this way. One connector takes the engine off the harness ;). I tried pulling, and twisting, I gave up for fear of busting it.

Which leaves me with about thirty more questions sadly no pictures though..

Rad sensor and fan wiring, I was thinking to be honest the easiest way of doing this would be to fab up some way to mount the mk3 rad in the 81, as then i would be able to plug and play literally everything. Temp sensor, fan wiring, and the hoses would plumb right up. I was also thinking of using the mk3 coolant bottle as well so that way I could maintain the coolant level device of the ECU. There is some module of sorts underneath the coolant bottle that I have no idea what it is for.. What is its purpose as well?

For the lines that that go from the vacuum pump and then to the switched device, can I use this to supply vacuum to my 81 HVAC??

The brake fluid level checker and brake fluid reservoir. will the reservoir fit on the on the 81's master? as it would make it easier to run the hydro clutch and all that junk I would think.

How do I go about removing the A/c Compressor and power steering pump? I think the Power steering is the only thing on the V belt? or is the WP on there too? Will the alt need a new bracket to fit on the engine without the a/c pump there? Or can it be cut and modified to make work minus the A/c.. ?

What sort of complications will I run in to by weeding out the A/c wiring? Will the ECU see it as a problem?

Also on swapping the car over to complete CE2, what about for the headlight switch? that is a very different switch.. how will there wiring interface?  and such?

that concludes it for today I guess. thanks guys! Get back to me love to hear some feedback.. !  ;D

Reply #53September 03, 2010, 07:00:45 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 07:00:45 am »

Next question is how do i disconnect this monster!? It looks as though it is a connector for most of the front of the engines electrical sources, a very good idea in my mind, one easy connector.. whole engine should be this way. One connector takes the engine off the harness ;). I tried pulling, and twisting, I gave up for fear of busting it.

Twist Turn, its screwed in, turn it gently and it will pop off TRSUT ME I'M A MK3 Owner lol
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"

Reply #54September 03, 2010, 07:02:38 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 07:02:38 am »
Oh and most of those little Hoses are for AC and Cruise Control stuff. Youll end up deleting all of that, its what I did with my ABA when I put it in, and No issues
Catlin

1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)

Reply #55September 03, 2010, 08:02:45 am

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2010, 08:02:45 am »
JUST FOR YOU BUDDY   :-*

Jeremys how to
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:04:34 am by catlin_cava »
Catlin

Reply #56September 03, 2010, 08:27:59 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2010, 08:27:59 am »

Reply #57September 03, 2010, 11:35:01 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2010, 11:35:01 am »
I love you Catlin, I would never get by on anything if it weren't for you ;)

You sound like you should be some sort of child show personality :P

Reply #58September 27, 2010, 10:47:26 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 10:47:26 pm »
WOOHOO DIESEL SITE BACK UP AND RUNNING!! I'm so exciteddd!

So I have made some progress in mind and in real life ;)

I have refined how far I am gonna go with this swap, as I don't want to be too overloaded right off the get go here. lol

I was looking at the wiring in my 81 and its pretty much good as new.. so that to me right there is no reason to convert the car over to CE2 wiring. However I will be using a method of piggy backing the fuse-box on to the old fuse-box and have it only run engine management stuff.. and let the old box and wiring run the in car stuff.. and headlights and fan wiring

As for the axles I think I will make up Broke's little gadget to take the flange cups off the trans and swap them out for some 90mm ones off a good donor.. and use my stock 90mm axles and stock hubs (might not be the strongest solution.. but its gonna for sure be the easiest :P)

Exhaust will most likely be whatever the mk1 has on it now... for now.. with plans for as big as possible in the future.

Following up from Catlin's thread about the EGR deletion.. What is the coolant routing for on the TDI engines? Is it to act as a coolant pre-heater to get er up to operating temps quicker and get some cabin heat faster? If so I only wish to stop blow-by getting in to the intake tract... lol to prevent run away and oil sipping.

I miss driving a Diesel.. this 25mpg b.s is stoopid ;)

Reply #59September 30, 2010, 11:57:13 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »
So in thinking back on the wiring mess I have in the car right now I was wondering where is the reader for taking codes from the ECU? Is it a little purple plug that is beneath (or above) the cigarette lighter? I think this will be beneficial to keep eh? lol

So upon really thinking a bout my route of attack here, if I just wanna keep the ECU and engine management part of the box I should only need the cluster harness, the purple plug harness, and all the assorted wiring for the engine correct? Easy Peasy?