Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Glow Plug Question  (Read 9931 times)

Reply #60December 23, 2009, 10:24:15 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

Re: Glow Plug Question
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2009, 10:24:15 am »
This really sounds like a glow plug issue to me. Your mistake in diagnosing the problem is not checking all 4 glow plugs and  going off on a tangent. You probably have 1 or 2 bad glow plugs and the smoke is from the cylinders with good glow plugs partially combusting the fuel. Did you put in AC Delco or Champion glow plugs by chancet? They are junk and don't last.  One of the best tool I have to diagnose glow plug problems is a non contact  ammeter. It takes seconds to check if all glow plugs are working. I'll post some pics of it later

Can you tell me more about this non-contact ammeter?  I think I have one but I didn't think it would work with DC except for a momentary spike.  How are you using it?
Here's a video of the non contact DC ammeter placed on the positive terminal of the battery. The black triangular tape marker was put on with 4 good glow plugs. When I suspect glow plug problems, I place the ammeter on the same spot and see where the needle moves to. If it is 1/4 less than the mark, I have one glow plug out, 1/2 less 2 glow plugs out, and so on. This is a conclusive test, quick and easy! I have used this ammeter on my diesels for many years! You can even see the needle slowly drop during the after glow, when the glow plugs are max hot, raising its resistance and lowering the current draw.

[IMG
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:27:13 am by 92EcoDiesel Jetta »

Fixmyvw.com