S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: TDI into A1  (Read 9313 times)

Reply #15December 01, 2005, 07:02:14 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

TDI into A1
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 07:02:14 pm »
partsplaceinc.com have the Euro spec TDI engines complete, ready to drop into an MKI rabbit, brand new and still in the crates.  They produce 110hp and have the early style block with the old mounting bosses, external water pump, cable throttle, mechanical injection pump.  They also had these VR6 TDI's that I would love to try putting in a rabbit.  From Europe apparently.  Not sure if they'd fit a rabbit but can you imagine the power the little car would have if you could somehow squeeze one of them under the hood?
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #16December 06, 2005, 12:39:44 am

DigitalK

TDI into A1
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 12:39:44 am »
Quote from: "RabbitGTDguy"
well...either way, either swap...we're here to help in either form :)

Joe

well im still waiting to hear back on price yet on the AAZ...AHL swap will probably begin in the spring or late january

Reply #17December 06, 2005, 12:42:00 am

DigitalK

TDI into A1
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 12:42:00 am »
Quote from: "chrissev"
partsplaceinc.com have the Euro spec TDI engines complete, ready to drop into an MKI rabbit, brand new and still in the crates.  They produce 110hp and have the early style block with the old mounting bosses, external water pump, cable throttle, mechanical injection pump.  They also had these VR6 TDI's that I would love to try putting in a rabbit.  From Europe apparently.  Not sure if they'd fit a rabbit but can you imagine the power the little car would have if you could somehow squeeze one of them under the hood?

does this eurospec TDI have immobilizer or what are these out of? I sent for a catalogue....I'll wait for it, have any more info?

Reply #18December 06, 2005, 10:04:03 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

TDI into A1
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 10:04:03 am »
Usually the engines that parts place sells are all "complete' and include the main engine harness itself. I'm looking at the "diesel" specific catalog I received right now. They are the standard 90hp version and inlcude  the injector pump, injectors, intake, turbo, moutor mounts, etc. Its a complete motor with the main engine harness and sensors (i.e. the portion that basically allows the pump to connect, the glow plug buss, etc. but DOES NOT include the wiring to connect it from the engine harness itself to the ECU, or the ECU unit itself. Maybe they have something if you call...i've never seen/heard of it though. I don't see anything "eurospec" about them though...
They also have a variety of industrial VW engines...both gas and diesel (and even propane) in the front on page N-7.

Immobilizer II consists of more than just the engine wiring. Its the engine ECU, the cluster, and the ignition switch and key that must all "talk" barberpoll together so everything is go. You may be able to avoid the immobilizer II system by getting a motor from a New Beetle setup. I believe that they did not run IMB II until pretty recently. I could be wrong though. IMB II isn't hard to make "run" if you have the components for it, "Mr.Dave" did it with very good success (not to mention an awesome looking cluster) into his caddy.  There are also non-IMB TDI's out there as well... still need the electronics to make them run though unless you go mechanical.

A few suggestions...
Overland I thought was selling complete "electronic" and "mechanical" kits with the TDI at one time I thought. There mechanical TDI setup used a turned up 1.9AAZ pump from what I remember. I don't know whether max tuning would be avail with this setup entirely...but stock power would surely be obtainable.

Another source... FastForward has several TDI setups for the Vanagon application...i think they sell you everything you need...wiring, etc. It may be possible to work this into your setup by talking with them and seeing out they can help...

Another... Vanamania or zsimports.com I believe.... Vic is really helpful and may be able to get his hands on what your looking for if you want to go mechanical with your unit. He helped me out alot with finding the other piston I needed and we had a nice convo. I've heard good and bad...but my experiences were good and he also has the benefit of having worked at VW in germany for 20 years I guess which is why he is able to get the parts he does...and they are factory surplus, and factory direct supposedly through his old connections at the factories.

Don't know if that helps...but...its some options. Let me know if you need more specific info and I can provide it.

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #19December 07, 2005, 01:07:18 am

DigitalK

TDI into A1
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 01:07:18 am »
lots of info there.... I dont think I want to deal with IMOII at all, or the DBW... at least not for my first swap. I want to do something a little more simple. I've decided that my grandpa can have the TDI to himself for his caddy and I'm going to jump for an IDI...I really want to get the 1.9 mechanical TD but I am having trouble locating it. I probably cant afford it till spring anyway since I just bought the car and just noticed christmas sneaking up on me.

So... side note...

Getting power out of the 1.6 :P It's alot faster than I remember my first Diesel being. Maybe it was that I was 16...maybe 24 the speed is relative to me getting old. Can I just slap a turbo on there from a 1.6TD? manifold etc? I was thinking of making a cold air intake to get the intake tube off the valve cover....I dont suppose there is too much you can do w/ the NA one... what are some of the limitations of a 1.6TD setup? If I cant find the 1.9 I am looking for for a reasonable price it seems you can get a whole 1.6D for around 900 out of the catalogue on that website...

new things on my current motor, injectors seem to be firing great....she started up a little reluctantly at -1 today....but she did it! didnt even have to cycle the glow plugs...

new head gasket
new oil pan gasket
new timing belt/timing adjustment
new glow plugs
new relay

Reply #20December 11, 2005, 01:13:31 pm

jos_br

TDI into A1
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 01:13:31 pm »

Reply #21December 11, 2005, 04:08:35 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

TDI into A1
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 04:08:35 pm »
Locked out of that link Jos...have seen your caddy before on that caddy forum though...very nice...
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #22December 14, 2005, 11:03:23 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

TDI into A1
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 11:03:23 pm »
my limit was head gaskets,,but yours willbe too with35+psi,stillw/studs,,,,an na is ok witha turbo,,,just dont turn it up too much,itll never be as strong as a real td,,,,piston coolers on td block,,,,,need a turbo pump   ,,and manifolds,,oilpan,,for turbo drain,thas jus to start
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #23June 13, 2006, 08:48:55 pm

evangelos

TDI into A1
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 08:48:55 pm »
hello all,

i am also trying to gather information on do a swap as well. i already have a aaz engine but my question is :

when doing a swap in an A3 does it matter if the stock engine is not diesel the aaz or tdi - there are more nice boxes in gas version rather than diesel.

what are the advantages of choosing a gasser over a tdi or aaz box for the swap?

evan