Engine Specific Info and Questions > Diesel Swaps

Toyota mtdi truck, stage 2

(1/16) > >>

410:
I've been holding off posting this until I actually had some real progress to talk about, but this evening I actually starting the install.  I have been driving my toyota 4wd pickup for over a year now with my mtdi.  I was running a k14 turbo with no intercooler.  This setup has worked quite well with very little turbo lag.  Performance in the summer has been less than perfect though because of the lack of intercooler.  I just finished installing a front mount intercooler and a gt1749va turbo off of a 2005 passat 130pd.  Everything is done except the final exhaust hookup.  I have a lot of adjusting of my mechanical vane control and that's pretty much it.  I'll get some pics up as soon as I get a chance but for now I just want to get driving this thing again as my daily driver.

410:
More progress; It took no time to adjust the vane control and got the exhaust reconnected.  Man what a difference!  It pulls much harder than it did before the new turbo and intercooler.  I took it fairly easy on the first test drives but I got a chance to really load it up today.

Here's where the bad news starts.  I was revving at about 1800rpm no load in fourth and I floored it.  When the boost kicked in, which is almost instantly, it revved up to 2500 rpm instantly.  I then backed out of the throttle a bit and the revs dropped back down to about 2100 rpm.  My stock clutch cannot hold my new found power.  Looking back a year, I should have spent a little more time researching clutches and bought something that can handle the torque.  I found a company called marlin crawler which specializes in toyota's and they offer basically a clutch for every application at great prices.  The price I paid for my stock clutch would have covered the cost of their super heavy duty clutch.  Live and learn I guess.

I hope to get pics tomorrow so I can share my vnt control setup and all the parts I made to make this work.  I was able to get some numbers, boost was peaking at about 23psi, 24 max and settling at around 22.  Peak exhaust pressure was about 35 psi and dropping very quickly to less than 30 once the boost can started to open up the vanes a bit.  I'm really happy with those numbers.

rbremiller:
This is very exciting; I want to do this setup in the future. I'd like to see how you engineered your linkage(s). Keep us updated please.

410:
I didn't get a chance to do pics today since I was too busy working on the pump, but I thought I would try and describe my vnt control. 

Basically it consists of 2 levers.  The first lever pivot is mounted solid to a bracket on the turbo.  The boost can is connected to the one end of this lever and the other end is the pivot for the second lever.  This second lever is connected to the vane control and throttle. 

Basically, it uses the same principle as libbybapa's setup by moving the pivot of the lever with the boost can.  I found that adding the extra lever to move the pivot got rid of a lot of slop in the system.  I keep promising pics and they are coming, as soon as I can get my stuff together!

410:
Lets try that again.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version