Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: second opinion... wire issue or oil issue?  (Read 2146 times)

April 03, 2010, 07:24:33 am

ashleyroe

second opinion... wire issue or oil issue?
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:24:33 am »
i've noticed over the past two days which have been much warmer than usual that after i drive on the high way for 20 mins then get off and i'm in traffic going home, that at higher rpm's my oil buzzer is going off. and when i shift it turns off.

now my pressure is at 2 bar at idle after being hot and 4bar while driving.

temps seeing between 80c and 100c.

now my question to you is do you think it's a wiring issue? movement grounding the wire or a break?
or is my oil running thin or something?

running 15-40 rotella.

past two days have been in the upper 60's and thats the warmest the rabbit has ever seen it since being put on the road in october of 09.

Reply #1April 03, 2010, 09:42:33 am

macka

• Veteran

Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #2April 03, 2010, 11:31:47 am

Rabbit on Roids

Re: second opinion... wire issue or oil issue?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:31:47 am »
thats plenty of pressure. you are taking a reading from a non vw gauge right? i would trust anything besides a VW gauge.

Reply #3April 14, 2010, 09:25:18 am

ashleyroe

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:25:18 am »
well it's very very VERY sporadic.

the other day it was 80 out and i had no buzzers all day.

then the next day i start it and pulled out of the drive way and it went off.

then a week went by with no buzzers and then driving down the high way yesterday it went off for like 10 mins and then turned off.

i havent heard it since.

i have yet to replace the brand new sensors, i mean it wouldnt be the first time a gap sensor didnt work out of the package.

i doubt it have oil pressure issues as the engine was just rebuilt.

i have an oil pressure testing kit. i'm gonna see what that tells me just incase.

Reply #4April 14, 2010, 09:43:46 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:43:46 am »
What oil filter are you running. I had a similar issue when I didn't use the diesel specific one, I think I used a fram or wix but it was the one for "every ford V8 ever made"

Reply #5April 14, 2010, 09:48:19 am

ashleyroe

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:48:19 am »
volkswagen oem oil filter.

Reply #6April 14, 2010, 09:51:47 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:51:47 am »
what a pity, I thought I may have something for you.

Reply #7April 14, 2010, 11:06:57 am

ShoulderMan

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:57 am »
I am having the same problem, just 2 days ago.
 Using chevron 15/40, and a WIX oil filter around town is fine... took it for a trip and it started to buzz,  pulled over to find the dip stick full. buzzed on and off for the trip up.  but stopped for the trip back.
  I did notice that when I first checked it after pulling over,  the dipstick was dry,(clean) I wiped it and dipped again, and then it was full (covered in black oil)  ???
  Maybe a problem with the oil loading up in the valve train?  not draining fast enough back to the sump?

Reply #8April 14, 2010, 12:18:09 pm

ashleyroe

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 12:18:09 pm »
the buzzer will only buzz for pressure, not level.

at least thats what im lead to believe.

Reply #9April 15, 2010, 01:37:17 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 01:37:17 pm »
old VWs do not have an oil level indicator. they have a pressure alarm that goes off. and if the pressure is low, the pump is either about shot, or the oil is about gone. under 2000, you have one sensor that reads pressure, and if it gets below about 6-8 psi, the alarm goes off. and above 2000 if it gets under like 15 or 20, the alarm goes off again. if you have a full pan of oil every time something like this happens, my bet would be the electrical system. because if you have a faulty pump, the pressure light will almost always flicker at idle when its warm, my grnadpas truck used to have a way worn out engine, and if you let it idle for more than a few seconds, the oil light would sit there and flicker. check the connectors for the sensors.

Reply #10April 25, 2010, 08:35:57 pm

ashleyroe

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 08:35:57 pm »
culprit was the sensor on the flange.

replaced  ;) :thumbsup:

Reply #11April 27, 2010, 12:37:05 am

Quantum TD

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:37:05 am »

If it returns (and I suspect it may), then you'll have to look at your harness and connections. Generally, oil pressure light issues only manifest at low RPMs.

What you're describing is typical for the 1983-1984 VW Upshift light system. The system uses a signal from the alternator from a BLACK wire. It feeds into a the harness for the GP relay system, and sends a signal to the upshift relay. That relay shares power with the oil pressure system (blue and blue w/black striped wires). If the plug is off the alternator (big black separate wire), or there's no signal from the alternator, then it will trigger the oil pressure light. When it does, it tends to throw the light at higher RPMs, rather than at lower RPMs.

I hope the switch is your problem, but for others out there with 1983-1984 Rabbit Diesels that were equipped with the UPSHIFT option, then you might want to make sure the auxiliary wire is connected to your alternator.

Reply #12April 27, 2010, 08:19:12 am

ashleyroe

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:19:12 am »

If it returns (and I suspect it may), then you'll have to look at your harness and connections. Generally, oil pressure light issues only manifest at low RPMs.

What you're describing is typical for the 1983-1984 VW Upshift light system. The system uses a signal from the alternator from a BLACK wire. It feeds into a the harness for the GP relay system, and sends a signal to the upshift relay. That relay shares power with the oil pressure system (blue and blue w/black striped wires). If the plug is off the alternator (big black separate wire), or there's no signal from the alternator, then it will trigger the oil pressure light. When it does, it tends to throw the light at higher RPMs, rather than at lower RPMs.

I hope the switch is your problem, but for others out there with 1983-1984 Rabbit Diesels that were equipped with the UPSHIFT option, then you might want to make sure the auxiliary wire is connected to your alternator.

my upshift light and tach have never given me a problem.

this wouldnt' have been the first time i got a bad sensor from GAP.

7 out of 10 times me and my bf have gotten bad sensors.