Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Crankshaft Axial Play  (Read 2442 times)

April 15, 2010, 11:37:35 pm

ffgb

• Junior

Crankshaft Axial Play
« on: April 15, 2010, 11:37:35 pm »
I am setting up my crankshaft axial play and I am still confused.  I followed the directions according to Bentley.  I moved the crankshaft towards the back of the engine as far as possible.  Then stick a feeler gauge in between the crank throw for # 2 cylinder and #3 main bearing.  But my question is where exactly if the feeler gauge suppose to measure? Is it the area between the thrust bearing and the thrust surface area which is the #2 crank throw?  I tried sticking a .006inch feeler gauge in between these two surfaces and I couldn't get it down in there.  That is why I am confused.  Also, what about the other side of #3 main bearing cap.  Does it matter what measurement is suppose to be on that side?  Is it suppose to be at most .006inch on both sides?  I heard that you might have to lap the thrust bearing, but looking in between, it looks like you would have to take a bunch of material off of the thrust bearing for clearance, and the other thrust surface area would not change?

Reply #1April 16, 2010, 07:16:24 pm

ffgb

• Junior

Re: Crankshaft Axial Play
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:16:24 pm »
I figured out my crankshaft endplay.  I went to Harbor Freight Tools and bought a magnetic base/holder.  I attached my dial indicator gauge that reads in increments of .01mm per small hash mark.  I moved the crankshaft forward with a screwdriver, zeroed out the gauge, moved the crankshaft forward again to see if the crankshaft would zero out again, it did, then I moved the crankshaft back toward the rear of the engine with a screwdriver, without anymore pressure the dial gauge read .09mm-.10mm.  I did this a couple of times just to make sure and every time the reading came out the same.  The Bentley spec calls for .07mm-.17mm with the installation of new thrust washers, so I am good to go!

Fixmyvw.com