Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.5na IP... Newbie & Nervous  (Read 6475 times)

Reply #45April 22, 2010, 12:38:39 am

mstephenson

• User+

Re: 1.5na IP... Newbie & Nervous
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2010, 12:38:39 am »
Was reading about oil light and rabbitman's comments.  Light goes out when switch is disconnected.  PO had it only a couple months between original owner and me.  And just visited with original owner and he said it was running good when he sold it.

So, low/no oil and oil light and horrible running makes for sad days for Rudy  :'(.  The bro is going to come over and confirm DOA.

I believe my next evercise will be getting the window seals in and working on sunroof and interior while I decide what to do next.

This concludes the timing exercise for this thread.  I want to thank everyone for their input and insights.  I have learned so much and overcome a fear by learning through it.  I have to say the only other fear of this magnitude I have is dropping a dash and seeing all those wires and wondering where they go.   :)

For any newbie reading this thread these are my observations:

...READ, READ, READ.  I read a lot, but wasn't alway sure of what it meant.  Worked on the car and went back and read this thread and others (How-to, etc) again to confirm what I had done.  New things were revealed that were posted all along.
...PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE:  Repetition of results.  What took me days to achieve was condensed down to minutes once practiced and understood.
...Proper tools; not that you can't improvise.  I used a chuck from my grinder as my cam lock (I will have the bro measure and get me a piece of stock that fits perfectly so I don't have to shim anymore), a deep socket for my IP lock, channel locks with rubber hose covers for my cam holder since I didn't have a 12" crescent (I will probably get a different tool for this next time)
...Mark everything.  I painted the flywheel at TDC. I made marks on IP sprocket at it's TDC.  I even painted the crank bolt that was closest to TDC.

Thanks again everyone.

Michele

S-PAutomotive.com