Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: data logging  (Read 3388 times)

April 17, 2010, 02:32:52 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

data logging
« on: April 17, 2010, 02:32:52 am »
so I have(and like) an auber EGT gauge, which can be programmed to be used(with the appropriate sender) for use as a gauge for ambient air temp, intake air temp, oil temp, water temp, EGT, manifold pressure(intake or exhaust) etc...

they also have a pair of alarms that can be used to switch an external devise(like water spray, fans, buzzer etc...) and I plan on getting some more to keep track of things and control my EGT controls(water/meth sprayer, nitrous[eventually] fans, boost bypasses, etc...)

looking at their site, they have a new one that does all the same stuff, and also has an analog output for datalogging purposes, and costs not much more than the standard gauge.

this excites me alot, it would allow for technical analysis of things done to the motor and show definitively what works and what does not.

the only problem I run across is this, I cant seem to find an adapter and software to actually log the data.

I would need some way of connecting the analog outputs from the gauges to my computer(or a usb devise) and software to turn the data into info that can be graphed.

anyone know of such hardware/software that could be had for cheapish?( I don't feel like spending the $500+ on the automotive dataloggers from autometer etc...)

-Owen

83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #1April 17, 2010, 02:35:48 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
Re: data logging
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 02:35:48 am »
Have you asked the seller of the gauge if such devices are in production?
I know you can buy things that allow you to plug micro controllers of all numbers of pins and program them on a pc.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #2April 17, 2010, 02:40:25 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:40:25 am »
auber does not appear to sell a data logger at this point, but I did email them to see if they know of somewhere where one could be had.

I could build one I am sure, but I am far from a computer wiz, and would prefer to buy one(if it was less than a hundred bucks or so)
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #3April 17, 2010, 02:57:20 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:57:20 am »
ha! I found it!

I can get an 8 channel data logger with software to graph the data for less than $150!

I may do this in the fall!

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #4April 17, 2010, 03:07:27 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 03:07:27 am »
so this is what I am looking at:
http://www.microdaq.com/measurement_computing/data_acquisition/usb-1208ls_daq.php

not sure if it will log RPM very well, as the auber tach does not have an analog output.
I was hoping I could log the hall sender directly, but this logger does not have a frequency input like the ($500+) automotive loggers do.

still looking for the right logger, but the one linked above looks pretty darn good for the price.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #5April 17, 2010, 11:47:02 am

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 11:47:02 am »
I just got an email back from Auber, and they pointed me towards this:
http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di148.htm

its only $50 and according to the description can log frequency for RPM readout.

looks perfect!
83 Opel Kadett Diesel