Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Camshaft specs  (Read 15498 times)

Reply #30April 13, 2010, 02:22:23 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: Camshaft specs
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 02:22:23 pm »
I made lash caps by cutting circles out of appropriate thickness shim stock and putting it under the lifter bucket, worked fine.
-Owen

For measurement purposes, I put lifter shims under the lifters as well as on top where they belonged. It seemed to work well enough, but a tight-fitting 'top hat' that fits over the valve stem tip alone would present far less mass to propel around.
You do like to tinker, huh?  ;D I like that stuff.

sorry to batter you with questions, but this is a big deal!

I know. I'm really excited about it! All will be revealed in detail very soon. End of the week, I hope.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #31April 13, 2010, 02:26:37 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 02:26:37 pm »
good to hear that!

I just hope that you are willing to share info about what is different about the cam that makes it better(even if that is not actual duration degrees etc...)

I am always disappointed by people who sell "performance" parts without any actual info about the specifics.

-Owen
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #32April 13, 2010, 02:46:55 pm

Runt

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 02:46:55 pm »
I wonder if it's even remotely practical to measure an engine's deflection on it's mounts as a way to indicate torque. Probably not, nvm.

I'll just come out and say it.

I'm on the verge of releasing a drop-in hydraulic performance cam, the price of which I think everyone will find quite agreeable.

More soon.

Possible, yes. Easy even, if you know how.  But not cheap.
All sorts of industrial equipment is equipped with built in scales, these scales are constructed by mounting the equipment on a load cell beam with a strain gauge in it.  The strain gauge measures the tiny deflection of the beam, and outputs a voltage propotional to the load.  Replace the front engine mount with a load cell, and you'd have a variable voltage signal that is directly proportional to the torque that the engine is putting down, in realtime.  Calibration to easily repeatable (on different cars) would be difficult, but with a little time on a dyno, I could easily figure out the conversion factor for any given car, to have the output displayed as ft-lbs or N-m.  Unfortunately the load cells are not cheap, so unless someone wanted to put several hundred dollars into such a project...
BTW, there are also load cells available in a washer style.  I have considered putting one under a head bolt to see what sort of forces the head bolts actually withstand.  They are to pricey to put under all the bolts, but could anyone suggest which head bolt would see the highest loads?  To look at it another way, when you lift a head, where does the gasket usually fail, nearest to which bolt?

Eagerly awaiting info on the cam...  I'll likely not be buying for a few months, but I'm almost for sure in for one, at a reasonable price, IF you are willing to release (at least privately) the full specs.  I know you risk someone stealing it, but I think you'll convince a lot more of the people here to buy one if you actually share the profile in the same way as you have with these stock cams.  I am not willing to buy anything on a try it you'll like it basis.  I want to see real specs before I spend my money, so I can be sure I'm buying what I think I want.  Then if I'm wrong I have no-one to blame but me.  Just a thought, but if you are needing to make up a minimum number to make a go of it, I'd guess that there are enough of us willing to do a group buy type order to get you started, depending on pricing, of course.
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #33April 13, 2010, 03:21:10 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 03:21:10 pm »
I'm not worried about anyone stealing the cam profile. It can't really be done just from the numbers, anyway. I will disclose everything.  :) Wait and see.

The load cell is an iteresting idea. I think it'd take a huge amount of work to set up a database from which you could accurately tell HP form load on the front mount. For example, the weight of an a/c compressor might skew results, as would slope of the road, condition of the rear engine mounts, etc.

Reply #34April 13, 2010, 03:31:23 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 03:31:23 pm »
I'm not worried about anyone stealing the cam profile. It can't really be done just from the numbers, anyway. I will disclose everything.  :) Wait and see.

I'm gonna grind one out of 2 inch rebar......... ;D jk
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #35April 13, 2010, 04:15:39 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 04:15:39 pm »
hehe
actually, if anyone wants to give me a quote on making steel cam blanks, i'm interested.

Reply #36April 15, 2010, 12:09:16 am

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2010, 12:09:16 am »
We used to dyno John Deere tractors off the PTO shaft. It had a drive shaft. I SUPPOSE that could be attached to a set of rollers (or a drive flange bolted to a flywheel on an engine on a stand)

Maybe a local dealership could be convinced to allow you to make something compatible.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #37April 15, 2010, 01:54:40 am

Runt

• Junior

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 01:54:40 am »
Well, I looked it up, and the load cells are 3-600 bucks.  I think there may be cheaper ones out there,  but that is what I could find so far.  As I said, I am considering running one under a head bolt, but... it's pricey, and would mean running some sort of constant datalog, or at least peak signal memory.  To do a "dyno" would be easy, and absolutely repeatable on the same car, that is the signal level would always be X at a certain torque level from the engine.  If the engine is changed to make 50% more torque, then the signal would be 50% higher.  The problem is that the signal level would need to be checked on a dyno for calibration, and then it would still vary somewhat even between two similar cars, due to small differences in geometry.  mk1,mk2,mk3 etc  would all vary greatly.  Unless I can find a source of the load cells for $50 or less, I won't be doing the dyno thing.
I'm still looking for info on where the head gaskets let go, so I know where to place a load cell on a head bolt.
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #38September 06, 2012, 08:53:35 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 08:53:35 am »
Could anyone figure out the duration of the stock cam of our diesel. I looked breifly through this and saw degrees but no mention of the actual duration of the cam. I need to know it to get an idea for my runner length. If it is in the bentley, tell me or let me know as I didn't think to look until right now.

Reply #39September 06, 2012, 02:59:05 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:05 pm »
That technical kind of info isn't gonna be in the bentley. That would make things so simple tho.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #40September 06, 2012, 09:23:11 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2012, 09:23:11 pm »
I would do the numbers if I knew how. Anyone have a formula for converting the charts we have into duration?

Reply #41September 06, 2012, 10:42:04 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2012, 10:42:04 pm »
I am finding it slowly. This isn't total duration, but a start.

Quote, originally posted by "VW diesel cam specs" »
ALH camshaft measured @ 1mm
Duration @ 1mm: 189*/189*
Valve Lift: .337”/.337”
Centerlines: 110.5*/113.5*
Lobe Center: 112*
Valve Timing: @ 1mm -16/25 – 28/-19
Valve Overlap: @ 1mm -35*

SDI camshaft measured @ 1mm
Duration @ 1mm: 194*/210*
Valve Lift: N/A
Centerlines: 108*/115*