S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: smoked out an 18 wheeler!!!  (Read 5155 times)

April 02, 2010, 04:36:35 pm

matt-stunt

smoked out an 18 wheeler!!!
« on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:35 pm »
so about two weeks ago i turned my fuel pressure way up on my 82 caddy 1.6 na and stopped by the napa where my buddy works to show him how much smoke the thing puked. i pulled out with the pedal on the floor to pouring as much smoke as possible to make eberybody who works there laugh a lil bit. oh yeah i forgot to mention the stack i put on her coming out the bed on the drivers side. so i get about 200 ft down the road and a tractor trailer dumps it right out in front of me. a nice looking early 90s kenworth, must have been loaded judging by how slow he was going. first i jam on the breaks to slow down to his speed then check the oncoming lane to see if its clear to pass. i had plenty of room so i drop it into second and put it to the floor. like always when its full throttle i was pouring an outrarously thick black smoke trail, enough to make you s*#t your pants laughing especially coming from that small truck with a stack. i was shifting into 4th then i was at his driver side door. i look over at him and wave, he gives me a friendly toot of the air horn and starts cracking up laughing at me. i finally got in front of him and still kept it on the floor. i just love watching my rear view at times like this!

-matt

Reply #1April 05, 2010, 03:52:25 pm

Rabbit on Roids

Re: smoked out an 18 wheeler!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 03:52:25 pm »
thats not funny, if you had an EGT gauge, you would know that you are murdering your engine with that much UN BURNT fuel. black smoke is not really that cool. its super hot exhaust for one, and its un used energy just pouring out the tail pipe.

how hot are your EGTs when said blackness is pouring out the stack? you really should get an EGT gauge if you dont have one, especially if it smokes that bad. also think about making it easier for your engine to breathe, if you have the stock air box on it still, you are doing the engine, and yourself no favors.

Reply #2April 05, 2010, 03:55:43 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:55:43 pm »
with an NA  motor EGT's dont get very high, even with black smoke, the restriction that the turbo creates makes the EGT's a problem

my motor(NA with an EGT Gauge) will only reach 1000*F on a long pull blowing black smoke

now, saying that, and EGT gauge is a good thing to have, and I recommend it to all diesel owners.
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #3April 05, 2010, 08:54:29 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:54:29 pm »
with an NA  motor EGT's dont get very high, even with black smoke, the restriction that the turbo creates makes the EGT's a problem

my motor(NA with an EGT Gauge) will only reach 1000*F on a long pull blowing black smoke

now, saying that, and EGT gauge is a good thing to have, and I recommend it to all diesel owners.

With my NA I can hit 1150F pretty easy, that's with a 2.5" exhaust and a sorta lame intake system.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #4April 07, 2010, 12:07:50 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:07:50 pm »
i would rather have a turbo on there to clean up the smoke. thats just wasted power out the tail pipe.

Reply #5April 10, 2010, 03:31:40 am

79rabbit4dr

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:31:40 am »
[...] i turned my fuel pressure way up on my 82 caddy 1.6 na [...] to make eberybody who works there laugh a lil bit.

Doesn't sound like he keeps the fuel up all the time, just doing it for kicks here and there.
Isn't this section ALL about wasted fuel anyway, like, the more the better?

Reply #6April 15, 2010, 02:51:33 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:33 am »
[...] i turned my fuel pressure way up on my 82 caddy 1.6 na [...] to make eberybody who works there laugh a lil bit.

Doesn't sound like he keeps the fuel up all the time, just doing it for kicks here and there.
Isn't this section ALL about wasted fuel anyway, like, the more the better?

Yes.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #7April 15, 2010, 03:55:31 am

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 03:55:31 am »
I can add a little story, with some relevant information to the OP's story too :-D

Day before yesterday i had to take a detour home because hte main freeway our of Sydney going north was closed due to a big trcuk acciendent. Anyway, 11:30pm we are driving along the twisty, winding detour road and there's not a lot of traffic. The road is a nice road to drive fast but you cannot pass anyone on it for about 20km, and in the forst 3km I cought up to a slow gasser, so I slowed down and just chugged along about 200m behind him to be kind. So sooner, than a Ford Territory (fake city people 4wd gasser) comes up behind me and sits right on my tailgate. So, i shift into 5th gear, doing 50km/h (1400rpm) and floor it. With the T3, i get massive LAG down low so it just pours clouds of thick black smoke out hte back. I let them have it for about 8-10 seconds before he backed off a bit. I was during the smoking, I noted that my EGT's didnt go above 450C! I guess at low flows, with the larger T3 exhaust housing, there is little enough restriction to keep the EGT's down.

Anyway, HTH :-)
'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Reply #8April 15, 2010, 03:09:38 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:38 pm »
Heck yes Gldgti!!! :D
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #9April 17, 2010, 02:17:36 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 02:17:36 pm »
With my NA I can hit 1150F pretty easy, that's with a 2.5" exhaust and a sorta lame intake system.

Well without a "un-lame" intake we can't really go by what you have then eh? lol Do you have your fuel tuned way up and is this beating on it on a grade?

i would rather have a turbo on there to clean up the smoke. thats just wasted power out the tail pipe.

Your rabbit doesn't smoke off boost if your on it hard? Wasted power out the tail-pipe looks cool though ;)

An n/a with a good intake, exhaust and turned up fuel shouldn't have too much problem, as was stated before the turbo being a massive restriction is what causes alot rising EGT's.

SMOKIN N/A'S RULZ TEH WROLDZ ;D  Also who is going for efficiency out of an N/A? there the best engines to mess with, because at the end of the day.. its still just an N/A engine lol

Reply #10April 17, 2010, 03:30:24 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 03:30:24 pm »

Well without a "un-lame" intake we can't really go by what you have then eh? lol Do you have your fuel tuned way up and is this beating on it on a grade?

Just a wiff of smoke and it'll do it on flat ground.

My intake is different now, I've yanked the gasser mani and installed a regular turbo intake. It really cleaned it up under the hood and there wasn't any noticable power loss.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #11April 17, 2010, 06:44:31 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »

Your rabbit doesn't smoke off boost if your on it hard? Wasted power out the tail-pipe looks cool though ;)

An n/a with a good intake, exhaust and turned up fuel shouldn't have too much problem, as was stated before the turbo being a massive restriction is what causes alot rising EGT's.

SMOKIN N/A'S RULZ TEH WROLDZ ;D  Also who is going for efficiency out of an N/A? there the best engines to mess with, because at the end of the day.. its still just an N/A engine lol

oh, it pours blackness out the pipe till the hair dryer lights up, then it starts pouring white smoke, but from the front.

S-PAutomotive.com