Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: I wonder how many snouts Ill ruin.  (Read 2640 times)

April 12, 2010, 09:32:59 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
I wonder how many snouts Ill ruin.
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:32:59 pm »
I wonder if I can retrofit a clutched pully on this one.

Its a Taurus unit. Its very plentiful in yards and thats why I chose it. Also because its 105-130 amps. At this point I dont care which.Im just fabbing it up. 

I do have a 200amp one for a Mustang..but it produces 24v ::)

Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #1April 12, 2010, 11:26:52 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: I wonder how many snouts Ill ruin.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:26:52 pm »
115a Taurus one-wires. nice.

A good upgrade for 60 and 70's fords, that came with similar pewny 65a our vw's come with..

Lookin good :)

Reply #2April 15, 2010, 02:04:57 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:04:57 pm »
90amp VW unit works good for me and is a direct bolt on. i really dont see where we would need more charging power. i have an extremely power hungry stereo system, my 90 amp alt keeps up just fine.

not like we are running winches and air compressors and KC lights and stuff like we run on our off road rigs. thats usually where we beef up our charging systems.

Reply #3April 15, 2010, 04:15:10 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:15:10 pm »
Augh. I got a new belt & tensioning geared bolt thing and locktite on all the bolts that are supposed to be holding my alt. tight and it still sqreams in the wet.
a new pulley online was like $90..
I have a 1000 watt stero and two 100 watt spot lights i like to use sometimes as well as a 120watt inverter. Now i know im not going to be using all of these at once, especially not at their maximum draw, but its peace of mind to know i wont kill my battery if i drive with the hella's on and listen to music loudly.
Also, blower motors draw huge wattage. I've killed my battery in the past having my two 100 watt lights on + the blower fan trying to defog the windows.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:21:16 pm by Smokey Eddy »
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #4April 15, 2010, 05:07:48 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:07:48 pm »
90amp VW unit works good for me and is a direct bolt on. i really dont see where we would need more charging power. i have an extremely power hungry stereo system, my 90 amp alt keeps up just fine.

not like we are running winches and air compressors and KC lights and stuff like we run on our off road rigs. thats usually where we beef up our charging systems.

Not everyone anyways, I've got two 100w spotlights and the PO put nonsealed beam rectangle headlights one so now they're 100w each on high beam too. So 400w pointing forward plus whatever the corner lights, side lights and all that add up to...........my sound system doesn't count, it's just four speakers and a cd player ::).

I'm sure the alt is working hard in the winter running the blower motor and lights but hey, it must be a good alt :P
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #5April 16, 2010, 12:26:20 am

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:26:20 am »
130 amp alt running a 50amp load is running at about 35-40% load.

A 90amp alt running at 50amp load is running at 60+% load

More load= more drag

Do you see where this is going?

Also..there are ALOT more upgrades for a Ford 3g alternator then a VW 90-65amp,

See..the other funny thing here is...Im removing most of my electrical loads in my car. No defrosters or power anything. Only one Im adding is a in tank fuel pump (actually its already there..)

Anyone need a Drivers side power mirror? I have the passenger but the glass is cracked and the housing is kind of smashed.
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art

Reply #6April 16, 2010, 10:10:55 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:55 am »
Not to mention the 3g's are cheap, plentiful and pretty darned reliable...    If I see the pic right you're using a V-belt so I'd imagine you shouldn't have much worry about the crank nose... The V-belt doesn't have the constant tension like a serp belt so the belt should absorb the shock..  The bad part is that if you do have a lot of load on it you need a good belt..  I swapped one on my '78 Mustang using a V-belt.. With all the crap on that thing (trans and engine ecu's, a/c, stereo, elec fans) it was a loosing battle..  I've often wondered if a serp belt with a manual tensioner (like some of the 80's fords had) would work alright with the VW crank nose issue...

How bad was that to mount up and get lined up?  I've always used the old style Delco Remy alts on my VW's..  THey are dimensionally similar to the VW alt and also cheap, plentiful, and upgradeable... But, no so reliable and I've read a few places that they are not the most efficient either...

Reply #7April 16, 2010, 10:19:45 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 10:19:45 am »
130 amp alt running a 50amp load is running at about 35-40% load.

A 90amp alt running at 50amp load is running at 60+% load

More load= more drag

Identical loads. Different percentages of maximum capacity.

You're putting a 50 amp load on both alternators. Which one is the best for a 50a load will be determined by how efficiently each produces power at those given percentages.

Most of the alternators I've seen produce their most efficient power at half to three quarters of peak output. In that instance, the 90a alternator would be a far better solution, in terms of efficiency.

Then too, you have to consider: More output usually translates to a bigger alternator, with a bigger armature. Bigger armature = more inertia, and more parasitic drag to keep it spinning when you aren't generating. Bigger shock loads (w/out clutched pulley, and even some with) and more weight.

Reply #8April 16, 2010, 12:56:56 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:56:56 pm »
ill stick with my 90 amp, until i get a bigger amp, sometimes when i pause my stereo i can hear the belt squeak for just a second. but who ever thought of using a V belt half the size of a normal one to drive the alt?

S-PAutomotive.com