Author Topic: Anyone ever try these coilovers?  (Read 6150 times)

Reply #15March 31, 2010, 08:44:55 pm

8v-of-fury

Re: Anyone ever try these coilovers?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 08:44:55 pm »
Sometimes I wish I was rich and could buy $2000 bilsteins, sway bars, nice wheels, a paint job, new windshield, fix all the rust spots/holes, new door seals nice seats bla bla.......but what fun would that be? ;D

ARE YOU NUTS? that would be the most fun. You could literally try every combination of anything ever done to these cars until you find the one you like! I would love to be able to dump $10g's on my car, It would be "Balla' Status"

Reply #16March 31, 2010, 11:51:13 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 11:51:13 pm »
ARE YOU NUTS? that would be the most fun. You could literally try every combination of anything ever done to these cars until you find the one you like! I would love to be able to dump $10g's on my car, It would be "Balla' Status"

Yes ;D.

I'd get shot'n hung if I put that much into it, not something I'd like........buuuut I spoze it would be beneficial to the mk1 crowd to do everything possible............
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #17April 01, 2010, 12:29:06 am

Runt

• Junior

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 12:29:06 am »
I have the german JOM shocks on my 86 golf, i had them all set at 30 threads up form the bottom , dropped the body down a good 3-4 inches. Its hard to get a jack of anykind under there now.
  never bottomed out while driving.  ride is compairable to an M3 or a truck,  just a little stiffer. 
  I have a(unusually) high curb while pulling into my driveway,  everyonce and a while when im front heavy, ill scrape a little metal on the front frame (also always scrape the bumper on the M3)
 I would assume (and we all know what happens when one assumes) that the closer to stock setting you keep it, the less stiff it should be,   also give it a month or so to break in, cause they are stiff when you first run them.
Okay, thank you, that's a good start.  Sounds like the JOM's would suit my preference for stiffness. You do mean a little stiffer than the M3/truck, right?
The assumption should be incorrect by the way.  Changing the height on coilovers changes the position of the spring, but not the preload, so the ride should be the same regardless of position.  The only gotcha is if you are using a variably valved shock and you raise or lower into a different valving.  Now my question becomes: How much adjustment is available above the spring seats the way you sit?  Is there room to move the seats up 3-4"?  If so, I'll wind up dropping the five bills on the JOMs locally.  FWIW, I was dragging the middle of the car (little crossbar under the rear seat?), and didn't like the thought of being high centered on a speed bump!
Sometimes I wish I was rich and could buy $2000 bilsteins, sway bars, nice wheels, a paint job, new windshield, fix all the rust spots/holes, new door seals nice seats bla bla.......but what fun would that be? ;D
I'll be into this one for 10 grand by the time i'm done, a little at a time, and all labour including body and paint mine, not counted in money spent.  Seems a bit silly on a maybe $2000 car, but it's what I like, and the 10g wouldn't buy me anything I'd like as much, so it makes sense.  Well, it makes sense to me anyways.   ;)  I sure would like to pull the car into the shop for a week, have it painted while I prep the engine etc., and hit everything all in one slam though, instead of picking at it as I have funds and find stuff cheap.  I was thinking that I'd build my own strut bars, and MAY do something in the way of my own rear sway bar as well.  If I do the sway bar thing I will post pics.
One DD 92 Jetta, One 91 Collision write-off, and One 92 rust free shell, beautiful, stripped, waiting for diesel-ization.

Reply #18April 02, 2010, 02:40:56 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 02:40:56 am »
I wonder if mk2 coilovers would fit my rabbit ::).

The front spring rates are pretty close but for some reason the rear springs are a lot softer on the mk2 coilovers.

I'm thinkin'(kinda :P) that since mk2 shocks/struts are longer that would let me almost get "coilover" handling without scraping the oil pan off.

Wadayal think?
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.

Reply #19April 02, 2010, 12:48:42 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 12:48:42 pm »
the mk2 rears will "fit" and are much longer, but the front ones are right about the same length(so you would not get any lift from them) and wont fit the steering knuckle.

you could do what all the full-size truck guys do and make a spacer to go between the strut top and wheel well to lift the car up a bit(as much as you want)
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #20April 02, 2010, 01:45:04 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 01:45:04 pm »
the mk2 rears will "fit" and are much longer, but the front ones are right about the same length(so you would not get any lift from them) and wont fit the steering knuckle.

you could do what all the full-size truck guys do and make a spacer to go between the strut top and wheel well to lift the car up a bit(as much as you want)

Ok, I guess I'd get mk1 stuff then, I'll look into the spacers ;D.

Reply #21April 02, 2010, 03:47:12 pm

ShoulderMan

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 03:47:12 pm »
No, I have not checked out how high they would go, I lowered mine for the improved mpg,   but there is a good 4 inches at least to move them up, the whole tube is threaded from top to bottom,  you can actually go down too far.  (bottom out on the lowest point of the frame or oil pan.) I have 185-70-13 tires, so the tires  will rub  first if I go lower than 20 some threads from the bottom.
  Id say it should be able to come close to stock height. Ill have to go out and snap a pic.

Yes the stiffness is geater with the Jom shocks than with a truck or sport car,  but you can take the turns alot sharper, and alot faster with out the car be comming squirley,  (i can take 25mph posted clover     on-ramps at 45-60 mph, and the car sticks like glue) but thats with it pretty low,  If you hit some good bumps or dips  (imperfections) on the freeway going 75 and your too high and overly stiff, you might loose traction between you and the road.  that would be bad.   

Reply #22April 02, 2010, 04:33:52 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 04:33:52 pm »
MK2 rear springs on a MK1 have a very good chance of rubbing on the tires depending on your offset.
Tyler

Reply #23April 03, 2010, 11:30:20 am

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 11:30:20 am »
MK2 rear springs on a MK1 have a very good chance of rubbing on the tires depending on your offset.

how would it be any worse than mk1 rear springs on an mk1? my mk1 would bottom out if it looked at a bump wrong.

Reply #24April 03, 2010, 09:43:57 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 09:43:57 pm »

how would it be any worse than mk1 rear springs on an mk1? my mk1 would bottom out if it looked at a bump wrong.

mk2 rear springs are a bigger coil than mk1. That's the stock springs, coilovers would be the same diameter.

Reply #25April 03, 2010, 09:51:54 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 09:51:54 pm »
yup, the mk2 spring is a larger diameter.

on a mk2 the perch sits above the wheel, so the spring clears the tire.
on a mk1 the perch is lower, so the wider spring would rub the inside of the tire.

the mk2 rear strut will fit in a mk1(and make the larger diameter spring clear the tire) but it will also make the rear sit much higher.
83 Opel Kadett Diesel

Reply #26April 04, 2010, 12:45:12 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 12:45:12 am »
After spending waaaaay too long on the vortex reading about raceland/rokkors I found this:
originally posted by effdbmx1 »
yeah I don't see rokkors anymore lol
but these are even cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...t_939

I've ordered two sets of these for different cars. The first time they were Racelands, the second time they were stamped "Technix" but were the exact same thing. They ship from Belgium, and arrive in about 3 days to upstate NY. Good guys, same suspension. Don't worry about the crappy picture.

Both times I got a bill from the shipper (once DHL, once FedEx) for import duties ~$10-$15 so factor that into the price.

for these guys, and  for budget coils. The last set I bought was for a daily driver $200 mk2 - I would do it again immediately, I really like the way these ride for a daily driver.

That link is the one in my first post.

One thing I've discovered, if you buy these cheap coilovers the people on vortex will hate your guts and go on and on about how you should've gotten bilsteins or h&r......pretty much spend $1200 and make my car worth $1200 ::).

Reply #27April 05, 2010, 02:09:44 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 02:09:44 pm »
I have MK2 Jetta rear coils on Frankenbunny..  Needed the extra oomph to hold up the veggie tank..  The entire strut assembly is WAY too long and makes it sit WAY too high..  But just the coil on the MK1 struts has been working dandy..  I have pretty stockish wheels on that one..  Actually Dodge Omni Rallys...