Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Indexing Crank end and TDC  (Read 1482 times)

March 25, 2010, 08:09:42 pm

somolovitch3

• Veteran

Indexing Crank end and TDC
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:09:42 pm »
Without PP and Flywheel (All being worked on /in the UPS system) can one determine which TDC is the "one we want"?

Flywheel position is set by dowels which come from the PP. I can not see anyway from the crank end that one TDC is better then the next. I guess it come down to the setting of the camshaft when I get the head on.

Thank you for letting me figure this out myself. ::)

Byte Me, Gently
If Ignorance is Bliss, You MUST be Orgasmic!
81 Caddy (Trk)
84 Gti (DumBunny)

Reply #1March 25, 2010, 08:54:49 pm

Kudagra

• Veteran

• www.no-coast.com
Re: Indexing Crank end and TDC
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »
um..when #1 is at its most..up...thats TDC. Without the head on it doesnt matter.  If you paint TDC one on the crank..rotate it 360*...its still TDC. No matter what. Rotate it backwards 360*...still TDC. It wont matter any till the head and timing belt is on.

Best way to get EXACT TDC is to use a dial indicator on the crown of the #1 piston and rotate it till its at its most extended. Then rotate clockwise till its a 0 deck height..then rotate it counter clockwise to the highest number, continue counter clockwise back to 0 deck height. Half the total of both readings.

Much like finding out how many feeler gauges to put in each side of your cam lock plate. Everyone does that right?
Turbo boost libido and passive restraints
And as of yet I haven't heard even a single complaint
I've got the tools of the trade and a fuel injected heart
Efficiency is beautiful, efficiency is art