S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: FS: 1980 Rabbit w/ wvo  (Read 3386 times)

March 23, 2010, 11:44:12 am

vwbyte

FS: 1980 Rabbit w/ wvo
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:44:12 am »
I'm selling my Rabbit which was my daily driver for the last three years.

Features:
1.6l diesel from an N/A jetta(90's) with hydraulic lifters
-rebuilt 60,000mi ago
-has an external oil cooler w/ thermostatic sandwich plate
Replaced exhaust, shocks/struts, Master cylinder, front calipers, injector nozzles, ball joints, tie rod ends, motor mounts, timing belt, water pump, half shafts, and clutch within the last two years.
-The tires are good snows.

The headliner, back seat and passenger seat are in very good original condition. The front seat is gone, replaced with a decent one from a later car. The dash has cracks.

It is setup to run on WVO. Has run reliably for about 40,000 miles on grease Until last Oct. when my garage burned down because of a fault in my filtration setup The car has a two tank setup
with the following features:

-Stainless tank (about 6g) with extended SS filler pipe, and welded SS fittings. It was welded by me, not pretty but functional. There is a coolant heated loop surrounding the fuel pickup, both made from aluminum fuel line(3/8"). There is a heated fuel line to the front of the car, 3/8" Al fuel line inside 3/4" coolant hose.

- At the front, the fuel goes into a series of two VW oil coolers working as heat exchangers. One cooler has been fitted with a diesel fuel filter, the other is capped off to allow the fuel to continue on.

- The setup has two Greasecar selector valves, one for feed , one for return. The diesel returns to the diesel tank, WVO to the WVO tank. The only contamination occurs when purging, when some diesel goes back to the WVO tank. The system is set to default to operating on diesel if the valves fail. There is a adjustable timer installed on a switch that controls how long to purge, and will allow the car to run till purging is completed before shutting down. So if you get to the store and forget to purge, you can lock the car and walk away while the car purges itself and shuts down.
I have been pretty religious about following the rules for keeping the WVO correctly working. I have alot of confidence in the system as long as the supplied WVO is good and you don't turn the system on before the car is warmed up.

The Issues:

-The head gasket was weeping some coolant to the outside, no mixing with the oil at all, no white smoke. It really should be replaced as the car gets hot going up hills at times(does tend to stabilize after driving for a while)

-The electrical has some problems and I suspect it needs a new fuse box. I've gotten the headlights and horn working by bypassing the fuse box with new circuits using standard aux. relays. They work. Some times you have to wiggle the fusebox to get the wipers or blower to work.

-The car has some rust. The PO gave it a so-so paint job using the original color. There is rust at the lower a pillars/windshield (takes on some water on the pass. side floor. The strut/shock towers are pretty solid but the inner/outer fender seam near the strut towers has some holes. The floor is pretty good. The rear wheel wells are rotted at the back/bottom (under the bumper)

-There is an air leak in the brake hydraulics somewhere, I've tried but haven't found it. It's not leaking fluid anywhere and i've replaced the Booster, Master cyl, front calipers, and prop valve. Bleeding periodically has kept them working well enough for me. The brake lines look good. I suppose there are other possibilities to check, but I don't have time...

-The WVO system uses an electric fuel pump to help supply veg to the IP (cuts down on air in the system). I had a Facet pump that finally failed after 2 years. That would need to be replaced, about $30.

-The linkage needs to be adjusted better, reverse can be a pain sometimes. Sometimes is fine, sometimes jumps out while reversing. It worked fine before I replaced the motor, so I know it's not the tranny.

- No radio or speakers, although there is wiring to the back for an amp.

That's all I can think of for now. I think the car definitely has some life left in it and has saved me a bunch of $$$.
I'm asking
$1000 or BO

PICS http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab43/vwbyte/

Please email me at [email protected]

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 07:19:34 am by vwbyte »

Proud owner of more vw/audi cars than anyone else in Wheeler, NY.

Reply #1March 23, 2010, 12:06:16 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: FS: 1980 Rabbit w/ wvo
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 12:06:16 pm »
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2March 23, 2010, 02:24:29 pm

vwbyte

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »
I'm in central NY 14810

Reply #3March 25, 2010, 08:45:41 pm

vwbyte

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:45:41 pm »
Any offers?

S-PAutomotive.com