Author Topic: Intermittent Wiper Swap  (Read 3754 times)

Reply #15February 28, 2010, 12:07:41 pm

macka

• Veteran

Re: Intermittent Wiper Swap
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 12:07:41 pm »
Indeed they are..  And the newish windshield that I have is the rubber seal type..   Tempting as it may be I have a good feeling if I tried to pull the glued in one the results would not be good...  Although now you've all got me thinking..  I may have to price this and see what it would cost to get a new glue in windshield..    Might have to find another snowplow and make some more money...  ;D

or follow a gravel truck, they are notorious for not wiping off fenders, and killing winshields. I was contemplating having my glass coverage removed until that happened to me. My van window is 500 before install.  :'(
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #16March 02, 2010, 08:09:21 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 08:09:21 pm »
Go figure, the turn signal switch with at least 200K fewer miles is crap......Guess I'll be putting the old one back in there...

Macka, my one of several snow plow encounters this year (yes several  ::) ) was quite a money maker..  A tad more than just a windshield sadly, but the insurance company appraised my $500 car at $2700..   :o
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:27:46 pm by maxfax »

Reply #17March 30, 2010, 08:03:39 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 08:03:39 pm »
Someone on the tex removed their glue in windshield with a putty knife and a torch.  Heated the knife and kept melting through the urethane glue.  Thought that was a great idea.

Do yourself a favor and grab a wiper relay out of a A3...  it's marked "99".  It makes the intermittent setting programmable.

-Todd

Reply #18March 30, 2010, 11:02:33 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 11:02:33 pm »
I got the relay the other weekend..  Grabbed the wiper motor too.. There's a nice writeup floating somewhere about swapping the MK3 motor to the MK1.... I guess it's a decent upgrade..  Then again it doesn't take much for an upgrade on MK1 wipers...

Reply #19March 31, 2010, 08:51:05 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 08:51:05 pm »
crazy upgrade, did it myself and i love it.

Here is my proof as to how much more power the newer motors have..

my windshield wipers got really slow, and eventually started working. so instead of a trip to a junkyard (sadly none near me) I had a friend ship one from NB to ON :) I did the swap because mine died, but its a goood upgrade DOO ITT!. I took the old motor out, and low and behold it works fine, the linkage was seized so the old motor wouldn't even move them. New motor in, powers right through it, and one day had a killer rain storm. Wipers on for 4 hours freed it up nicely. Now there super duper quick! Easy upgrade, take out three rivets, drill three holes, crimp one or two wires. Good to go.

Reply #20March 31, 2010, 09:16:13 pm

catlin_cava

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 09:16:13 pm »
crazy upgrade, did it myself and i love it.

Here is my proof as to how much more power the newer motors have..

my windshield wipers got really slow, and eventually started working. so instead of a trip to a junkyard (sadly none near me) I had a friend ship one from NB to ON :) I did the swap because mine died, but its a goood upgrade DOO ITT!. I took the old motor out, and low and behold it works fine, the linkage was seized so the old motor wouldn't even move them. New motor in, powers right through it, and one day had a killer rain storm. Wipers on for 4 hours freed it up nicely. Now there super duper quick! Easy upgrade, take out three rivets, drill three holes, crimp one or two wires. Good to go.

I was looking for a wiper motor the other day and couldn't figure out why 1 was missing from the rack lol ;D
Catlin

2012 VW Golf 2.5 5speed Deep Black Pearl
1999.5 VW Jetta TDI Bosch .216mm injectors and Malone stage 2, soon 11mm pump and vnt 22(parked for the winter)
2010 VW Golf City 2.0L "Hers"