Author Topic: Free Beer! (help with timing please)  (Read 3894 times)

Reply #15March 06, 2010, 02:29:23 am

commuter boy

• Veteran

Re: Free Beer! (help with timing please)
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 02:29:23 am »
I've got the timing tools in Burnaby if you want to come by with it this weekend some time.

PM for contact info.

Reply #16March 06, 2010, 10:52:33 am

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 10:52:33 am »
PM sent! :D
'87 suzuki samurai with a 1.9 AAZ TD transplant

Reply #17March 07, 2010, 07:47:38 pm

westcoaster

• Junior

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 07:47:38 pm »
It was great meeting you Dave! Thanks again for your assistance! :D

I made it as far as kingsway and Gilley last night and had to pull over. Had this wierd smell of burning plastic. There was a gush of oil coming out of the valve cover and dribbling on the exhaust manifold causing the stink. I thought it was the gasket and tore into the extra one I had brought. As it turned out I had a couple loose studs that hold the valve cover on. Tightened them down, put the new gasket on, bought some oil and made it the rest of the way home.

We set the timing to 1.0mm. This is retarded to what it was set at. Not sure where it was as we were having difficulty getting it to read the existing setting. (I think it was way too far advanced to even get a reading)
What that really demonstrated to me is so long as your crank/cam timing is spot on there is a bit of play to be had in the pump timing and it will still run half decent.

Unfortunately despite working late into the night, all this work didn't resolve my smoke issue (nice and hot 7 min idle time, thick smoke out the tailpipe that hung in the air). It did change things though. and it will take me a while to figure it all out again. When I cranked it up this morning, I didn't fog out the street like I normally do when I drive it down the road cold. Then again I didn't reconnect the hose from the intake to the LDA when I did the roadside repair...

I still need to figure out what is "normal" and what's not. Dave cranked up his car for me last night and demonstrated what I thought was an abnormal start is actually normal... So here is fair warning to any older jetta owners in the lower mainland... If you see a silver samurai following you about with the driver staring intenly at your exhaust pipe, not to worry it's just me trying to get things sorted out... :)

'87 suzuki samurai with a 1.9 AAZ TD transplant