Author Topic: Prothe gasket kits  (Read 3612 times)

September 11, 2011, 07:21:19 pm

Dean Erickson

• Junior

Prothe gasket kits
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:21:19 pm »
Anyone running his head gasket and bolt kits. I bought a set and I am looking for some feed back on anyone using them. I also bought rings from him.

Reply #1September 12, 2011, 09:25:34 am

8v-of-fury

Re: Prothe gasket kits
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:25:34 am »
What brand head gasket is it? Does it say a brand on it?

The bolts, I don't see why not. Pretty hard to screw up a bolt, and they're so readily available cheap anyway.. Its not like he's trying to make millions on sub standard bolts.

The rings however, I have heard many say to steer very very far from them.

Reply #2September 12, 2011, 02:07:32 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 02:07:32 pm »
I wouldn't use any of his major engine parts. I've seen his headgsket and while it looked fine there wasn't a name on it. As for the bolts, if they're too weak and can't clamp hard enough to seal the gasket you'll have an instant leak.

X2 on the rings.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #3September 12, 2011, 02:16:12 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:16:12 pm »
i would avoid ALL CRITICAL engine components.. bolts and gaskets are pretty critical if you ask me.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4September 12, 2011, 08:50:06 pm

Dean Erickson

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:50:06 pm »
No name on the head gasket. Bolts look ok but like you said they may not clamp or strech properly. I wish I would of asked this question before I bought them. Now I have to decide if I will use them.

Reply #5September 13, 2011, 05:08:29 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:08:29 pm »
i bet the bolts will break on the last 1/4 turn to torque them down..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #6September 13, 2011, 07:05:07 pm

Dean Erickson

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 07:05:07 pm »
Sounds like no one has first hand experience so I may give them a try. I will report back how they turn out. It will be a week or so before I have the truck back on the road. At least we will no for sure if the parts are good or bad.

Reply #7September 13, 2011, 07:15:53 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:53 pm »
Sounds like no one has first hand experience so I may give them a try. I will report back how they turn out. It will be a week or so before I have the truck back on the road. At least we will no for sure if the parts are good or bad.

you are honestly willing to make up that sort of a science experiment?

im gonna bet that you are going to have to re-do the work before the year is over..

why beat your head on the wall, when others have already done so, and already told you it hurts?

Reply #8September 13, 2011, 07:55:25 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 07:55:25 pm »
Can't speak for those specific parts either but I have to say I don't shop there anymore and if the parts I have got are any indicator I just wouldn't trust it as far as quality.

I have been there, I got my first vw over a year ago and at first loved shopping there.  All sorts of little things to buy for "cheap".  But then comes install and use time and it sucks when things start falling apart quickly in real world use.  Now I like to save up for name branded parts and then I can sleep at night and you will save time and money in the long run.
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #9September 13, 2011, 08:17:53 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:53 pm »
Dean,  Judging by your picture background and your last name I would venture to guess you are in the UP.  Not a good place to be working on cars in the winter.  I know I lived their for a decade.  You need to buy the quality that the original machine was designed around.  Look at the "German engineering" on these babies.  Your don't own one because it fell apart two decades ago like some Chevy Luv or something of the same era.  The last, and largely because they were built with real good parts.  DO NOT go cheap just because it is what you can afford now.  Save a bit more and do it the right way the first time and save in the long run.  Unless you want to be like some on this forum and continually replacing and breaking down. 

My 2 cents less a penny.

Reply #10September 13, 2011, 08:54:26 pm

Dean Erickson

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 08:54:26 pm »
Good point about getting quality parts to last a long time. I have been searching the site and have only found one good report about the rings. And nothing about the head gaskets or bolts. It just suck to have already bought the parts and now find out they have quality issues. Looks like I should take the kick in the backside and get good parts. I am rebuilding a 1.6 eco for my 81 truck so the turbo will put that much more stress on the Prothe parts. This is the one post I found that said the Prothe parts were ok

Verdict on AMC heads please
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 11:39:07 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to report that I recently installed a set of Prothe's $189 pistons (.020 over) into a freshly bored and meticulously assmbled JK block ('84 mechanical).
I spent time being careful with break-in as well and I continue the process. I am still under 1000 miles with it and have not yet gone beyond yield on the bolts.
But, my point is that, so far, the pistons and rings are making me very happy. The rings clearly began to seat within 125 miles, there is NO oil consumption and the N/A power is all that it should be.
The real evaluation will conclude about 300,000 miles from now....probably on $21 a gallon fuel.....right before the war begins.......
BUT I just want to report on a Prothe product.

Reply #11September 13, 2011, 09:05:12 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 09:05:12 pm »
Good point about getting quality parts to last a long time. I have been searching the site and have only found one good report about the rings. And nothing about the head gaskets or bolts. It just suck to have already bought the parts and now find out they have quality issues. Looks like I should take the kick in the backside and get good parts. I am rebuilding a 1.6 eco for my 81 truck so the turbo will put that much more stress on the Prothe parts. This is the one post I found that said the Prothe parts were ok

Verdict on AMC heads please
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 11:39:07 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to report that I recently installed a set of Prothe's $189 pistons (.020 over) into a freshly bored and meticulously assmbled JK block ('84 mechanical).
I spent time being careful with break-in as well and I continue the process. I am still under 1000 miles with it and have not yet gone beyond yield on the bolts.
But, my point is that, so far, the pistons and rings are making me very happy. The rings clearly began to seat within 125 miles, there is NO oil consumption and the N/A power is all that it should be.
The real evaluation will conclude about 300,000 miles from now....probably on $21 a gallon fuel.....right before the war begins.......
BUT I just want to report on a Prothe product.

thats kinda scarry, the rings were seating in 125 miles?!

all the new rings ive used in my diesels all took atleast 4-500 miles to begin seating real good to where it starts easy, and has no blow-by..

if they seated in 125 miles, then im sure they will be worn clear out by 100k miles, if they make it that far..

S-PAutomotive.com