Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: How to add an intercooler to your 1.6 Eco diesel?????  (Read 4163 times)

November 14, 2005, 06:27:09 pm

ancient

How to add an intercooler to your 1.6 Eco diesel?????
« on: November 14, 2005, 06:27:09 pm »
I am thinking about adding an intercooler to my 91 Eco diesel.  Of course eventually I will swap out the fuel pump with a better one like the 1.6 td's or the k24.  But first I would like to intercool the car.  Does anyone know how to add one?  What size of core I should get?  I have seen some saab 900 or 9000 intercoolers for like 50 bucks.  Is bigger the better?  Anything will help.  Thanks.

TC

Reply #1November 14, 2005, 09:56:54 pm

zagarus

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 09:56:54 pm »
im curious about this too, i want one as well, but haven't really gotten specific with it.  apparently some people have said a side mounted intercooler is really good ( on the passenger side) but i think (depending on which intercooler you get) if you put it on the front you have to do some retrofitting.  and for anyone who knows. is an air-air intercooler better then a water-air one?
Project 1.9TD Jetta Coupe Completed. Back in action!

Reply #2November 15, 2005, 09:36:30 am

hamann

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 09:36:30 am »
hey - i've just put an intercooler to my 1V engine - i'm pretty happy with the effect - what i did was  take a cooler , 1,5 meter long 'hose' around 2 inches diameter ,two 90 degrees angled pipes and voala - for around 3 hours work the cooler was in place and the pump tweaked - i've put the intercooler infront of the radiator(the radiator had to move with an inch back-easy job)
and had to cut just a bit of the top beam where the radiator is mounted so the piping could go through
- here's a picture of what i've done but i don't know if you'll be able to see it(i'm in europe :lol: )

good luck :lol:

p.s - a bit ugly hmm? :oops:  :lol:

p.s 2 - check this out - http://vwgolf.pl/porady/intercooler/icooler_body.html

:)
if u don't like how i drive,get off the sidewalk!!!

Reply #3November 15, 2005, 11:37:51 am

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:37:51 am »
Hmmm.  I've been thinking about adding an intercooler to my truck too.  I was driving it last night in about 15 degree (F) weather, noticed a little more power at WOT than usual, and boost was getting to 12psi max, instead of 10 or 11 where it usually sits.  Getting that colder air charge must do something...

Then again, maybe I should fix the secondary glow plug relay first...  It started this morning at 5 F, but not real happy about running for the first 30 seconds or so.
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

S-PAutomotive.com