S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II  (Read 150612 times)

Reply #270February 16, 2016, 09:19:00 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2016, 09:19:00 pm »
lets see the old one once you get it out.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #271February 17, 2016, 03:46:15 pm

deepgrooves74

• Junior

• This is my build thread... Bucket.
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2016, 03:46:15 pm »

lets see the old one once you get it out.

X2

Let's see how bad it really was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #272February 27, 2016, 05:28:34 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2016, 05:28:34 pm »
Hi,

it's done. We have passed the inspection and will bring it back on the roads in the next two weeks. As written i am really curious how the new turbo setup will work. The shedule is to start with approximate 15 psi boost for some miles and than go back to 30 psi.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
VW Golf Mk1 (Typ 17) 1981 with 1.6 TD
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #273March 07, 2016, 04:14:20 pm

carrizog60

• Veteran

« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2016, 04:14:20 pm »
30psi from that big turbo is going to be fun lol
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

Reply #274March 20, 2016, 07:36:49 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2016, 07:36:49 pm »
Hi,

its finally done, the car is back at home and has number plates and is street legal again. I have driven approximate 50 km this day, but fully without any fine tuning regarding the injektion pump and the turbo. Low down torque in "na" mode is quite perky and turbo spool seems to be also quite good. The overall power was a bit missing, but i did not know the boost pressure most of the time, because i did have had a leackage in the boost line to the gauge. After the boost gauge was working i know, why the power was ok but not overwhelming, the boost pressure was only 7-8 psi. i would say, for that it feels good.

The tires seems a bit tired from standing arounf for so long, i did get some wheel shaking at around 150 km/h, so i thing i have to look for a new set of tires soon, which is ok, as the thread is also quite thin.

So i am happy to have the car running again and have had some fun to drive in it, with hopefully still more to come.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #275March 25, 2016, 05:58:29 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #275 on: March 25, 2016, 05:58:29 pm »
Hi,

i did make two small test drives this week, both with increased boost pressure. The first one was with aproximate 15 to 17 psi and was tempting for give it some more. The next one was done with 22 in second and up to around 25 psi in third. I can not really remember how it felt at last with the bigger S2B, but i would imagine that the top end is a bit more restricted as with the S2B.

The boost built up very linear up to 15 psi and then really quickly ramps up to maximum boost. The QSV opens actual at 7,5 psi, which is not detectable during driving. With the S2B i did have installed a manual boost controller in the QSV line to open it later at approximate 15 psi, which makes the turbo spools up much more rapitly as i remember. This is one of the next things i will do.

Otherwise i did make a g-tech "dyno run" in second gear, but all my old g-tech "dyno runs" was done in third gear, so i could not make a real comparison. I would imagine that the actual peak power is approximate 160 - 170 hp, but it seems that it is not quite as revy as i think it was before. I need to check the timing of the pump and i think i will go back to a full d=63,5 (2,5") exhaust system, actual i have only d=60 mm.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged     
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #276March 28, 2016, 07:40:41 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #276 on: March 28, 2016, 07:40:41 am »
cant wait to see some graphs you always document everything so well it makes for a great read, you truly are german haha
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #277April 04, 2016, 04:06:35 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #277 on: April 04, 2016, 04:06:35 pm »
Hi,

unfortunately i have only a few good news and much more bad news, but one after the other:

1. Pictures (good)
I have make some nice pictures (at least i like them)

2. intercooler pipe (good)
I have changed the pipe between the turbo and the intercooler, because the closed hood compressed it to much with the old layout.

before:

after:

The pipe and the hose are from a BMW E39 530D, after i have used the 530D intercooler pipes and hoses in serveral cars, it seems that they can be used in every engine bay and every engine.

3. Boost Leackage (not very good)
During the installation i have loose and retighting a clamp at the joint of the intake manifold and after that i could only achive 0.2 bar of boost pressure and a load whistle. The hose and the intale manifold do not fit optimal in reagrd of the angle and the diameter. As quick and dirty solution i have used a third clamp and after that, the whistle was gone (or better not detectable) and i could achive a max boost pressure of 1,25 bar.

4. Power (good) - Spooling (not good)
As written earlier i have done some test drives with the g-tech and with the new data i think i can jude the power and the spooling behavior quite accurate. Power is quite good, but the spooling is really bad. Subjektive it did not feel that bad, which shows again that you have to measure to get knowledge, otherwise you stay unknowing and have to believe.

Here are the diagrams:
red / blue are the actual test data, with the twinscroll S2A and QSV and approximate 1,5 bar
green is the test data from 2012 with the old S2A and nearly 2,0 bar boostpressure (this was dynoed with 190 hp)
black ist the test data from 2013 with the big S2B and QSV and approximate 2,0 bar boost pressure. (no dyno, g-Tech suggest 200+x hp)

First power vs. engine speed in third gear
(the green is measured in second gear)

The green curve can not be judged regarding their shape, as this was not taken as a "real" power run and i have accelerate in a different manner. It can be ssen that the actual max. power is nearly identical with the 190 hp setup from 2012 (can also be seen in the later 1/4 mile measurements). It can also be seen, that the spooling is much worse than with the bigger S2B with QSV in 2013, which make no sense in my eyes. The spooling is nearly identical whith the spooling of the bigger S2B before the QSV was installed. Why - i dont know. As written above, my maximal achivable boost pressue was reduced to 1,25 bar at the last test drive, it could be that there was a boost leakage or the wastegate leaked, or both. During the last test run i disconnect the boost line to the wastegate, so this should stay fully closed, but could not increase the boost pressure anything above 1,25 bar.

Here are g-force vs. speed

The green line is also not valid before it is nearly identical with the blue line. It could also be seen the the g-force in third gear is also nearly identical to the 190 hp setup from 2012.

And at least power vs. speed (the lower blue curves are wheel- and accerlerate-power)

And hier the same diagrams for the 1/4 mile test runs (green curve was a second gear start)

The summary is, that the power is actual a bit below 190 hp, as i have measured in 2012, but with less torque and much worse spooling behavior.

At least here are one more diagram with a power curve in third gear with reduced boost pressure of 1,25 bar (the dotted line is curve from above with approximate 1,5 bar). According to the test data, the decrease in boost pressure means a reduction of 20 hp peak power, which is in line with the subjective feeling.

BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #278April 04, 2016, 04:53:41 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #278 on: April 04, 2016, 04:53:41 pm »
5. What then happend (absolutely not good)

As dicussed above, the last test run did not ended as sheduled. On the drive home, i was happy with the golf, even with the non optimal spooling behavior and gave the engine some extra diesel from time to time.

Shortly bevore i reached my home, at a respectable speed, full boost pressure and valueable engine speed a very loud bang occure and than silence - only the wind the golf and i - why is it so quite here?  - this must be happend sometimes - or only some small defekt? - why is the car decelerate at this high rate, whithout usinf the brakes? - decoupling? - f..ck - that is no small issue.

This happens 10 days ago and yesterday i could make a short inspection. Even after it was clear that there was some major issue with the lower engine part, i was suprised about the extent:

The engine block is cracked at the backside complete from the cambeld side to the gearbox side.

What to do next, i do not know - 1.6 franken engine - 1.9 TDI (afn) - 1.9 TDI (ALR) ? I am open for recommendations

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #279April 04, 2016, 09:56:22 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #279 on: April 04, 2016, 09:56:22 pm »
Wow this is very sad news.  It seems the aaz only likes so much power before the bottom end gives out.  Did you have upgraded rods or bottom end hardware?  I'd recommend an alh with mechanical pump, a Franken 1.6 could be nice because you could reuse your head and turbo assuming they are still good.

Reply #280April 05, 2016, 09:15:54 am

GTiTDi

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Schnell Snail TDI performance
    • My 91 GTI --> TDI swap thread
« Reply #280 on: April 05, 2016, 09:15:54 am »
Schlecht :( Time for a TDI I would say! I love my 1Z powered mk2 :D https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=304978
91 GTI/ AHU spec'd 1Z power, GT2052W w custom adapter (available through me, PM me for details),TDTUNING software, PP764 nozzles, Massive spearco FMIC, PD intake, Koni reds
97 B4VGLX AHU, RC3, 357's, PP'd head, Shine springs and Koni yellows

Reply #281April 10, 2016, 03:39:10 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2016, 03:39:10 pm »
Hi,

just as a short notice:

i though a while - TDI vs. non TDI, but in the end i make a decision an bought an 1.6 TD engine today, so my Golf will go back to the roots with a orignial MK2 engine.

Some more details soon.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #282April 11, 2016, 07:56:45 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #282 on: April 11, 2016, 07:56:45 am »
have you disassembled the old engine to see what has failed?  this really sucks to have happened right after you got the car back on the road.  but it will be cool to see how the 1.6 runs now.

Reply #283April 23, 2016, 02:53:39 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #283 on: April 23, 2016, 02:53:39 pm »
Hi,

@RabbitJockey
No i did not turn a screw after bring the car in my garage. I have had changed the cylinderhead on my E34 525TDS in the last weeks and still have a few things to do on the bimmer (i also use a grinded cam and and swap the turbo to a mechanical controlled GT2556V VTG turbo)

@GTITDI
Very nice built, i have read all pages in the last days, which makes my wand a TDI a bit.

@all
The guy were i bought the 1.6 TD engine, did not send me his bank data, so that i could not pay and afterwards tells me that he have rethought the sale and will no longer sell the engine. We did have agreed on phone on all details, so it is a bit strange, but "Was willste tun"

So i am back in the game to decide, what the next engine should be. In general i am looking at AFN and SB engines, but AAZ is also still an option. Today we found a very very mind Golf MK2 GTD Special in Oak-green (best condition which i have seen in the last 5-10 years) for a very reasonable price, so we phoned the guy and was willing to buy the car at the phone, but it was sold allready. In that case i would have used my car only for parts and wolud have driven the original GTD speciale.

Then there is an offer for a complete AFN package for a MK2, installed in a MK2, so it is possible to make a test drive. This would work for me either, but i could not reach the guy until now.

Best Regards
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #284April 24, 2016, 03:49:06 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #284 on: April 24, 2016, 03:49:06 pm »
Hi,

i have had a phone call regarding the AFN Package and i think i will buy it (to be honest, i send him a message that i will buy it). The guy offers tdi engine swaps as his job and the golf, where the engine is actual in, is also done by him (customer car, not his own). Because i have realy little to no time, i play with the tought to bring him my golf and let him change the complete package. I also asked him, if i could buy the hole car, but he still needs some parts (it is a golf syncro). I wand to avoid to speak from a "complete package" and afterwards spend hunderts of euros for a few small OEM parts, because this and that is missing, to make it running again.

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged 
BMW E28 524 TD