Author Topic: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II  (Read 150602 times)

January 31, 2010, 05:59:21 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine --- EVO II
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:59:21 pm »
Hi,

i have owned a VW Golf II GTD with 1.9AAZ engine for a couple of weeks.
It was in good shape and has a small K14 charger, which cause very quick spool
and brings up to 1,5 bar with sticking wastegate. After the first pump adjustments
i notice the new cluth is not able to transfer the quick spool torque.

Here some pictures, how it looks when i bought it:

Even with the overloaded clutch i have run some g-tech turns and one 1/4 mile race, best result is 16,5s for 1/4 mile.
Here is a G-tech result, compared with my old 1.6 TD (red line)

Unfortunately a pice of the head brokes, during i wand change the two spring nozzle against new one spring DN0DS297er nozzles.
After i few minutes of disbelieving looking, i acceped that i have to pull the head, so actually the head is dismount and also the gear is out of the car. I will swap to 02a tranny (CTN) and 228er clutch, which i allready have. Because i did not know how to fix the head, i have bought an other head, which will be rough ported at the exhaust ports.

Here are some pics from the broken head, it is an AMC head and has max. seen 20tkm, no cracs no wear.
(the green stuff is liquid metall glew, hopeless trial)

In the last two days i have disassemble the head, because i will further use all the internals (8mm valves). I have also start to disassemble the turbo, because the wastegate was sticking and i wand to increase the flow through the poor stock downpipe. The turbo has an exhaust of d=54,5mm, the downpipe has an entry diameter of 53,5mm and an exhaust diameter of only 44,5 mm.

02a shiftbox

02a shift cables

some head internals:

Her some pictures, were the very small exhaust port can be seen:

Best Regards
Alleslowbuged
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:44:19 pm by Alleslowbuged »

VW Golf Mk1 (Typ 17) 1981 with 1.6 TD
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #1January 31, 2010, 06:13:05 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

Re: Golf II GTD with 1.9 AAZ engine
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:13:05 pm »
Hi agian,

even as i was happy with the quick spool K14 charger, i am unsure if i should use it further or swap to another charger.

I have follow turbo charger, which i could use:
a) GT15 (VTG) from a AFN TDI engine
b) stock charger from AHU TDI (non VNT)
c) stock AAZ charger (non VNT)
d) K14, was installed
e) K24, from my old MK1 TD
f) Switzer S1B (there i have to use a external wastegate)
g) GT2052V (VTG) from 2,5 TDI engine

I would apreciate to read your suggestions, the car is a daily driver, i shedule to increase the boost up to 30psi (only for short time)
For normal driving max. boost should be between  18psi and 22psi.

Best Regards
Clemens
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #2January 31, 2010, 06:31:17 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 06:31:17 pm »
Nice car. I would like to build something similar. I would try out the vnt20. However, for a daily driver the k14 might be easier and more torquey.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #3February 03, 2010, 06:33:36 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »
Hello,

thanks for your suggestion, i have the thinked in the same direction.
But yesterday i have read another post here, which compared a K14 with a K24 charger
on a 1.9er IDI engine. The result for me is, that the K14 will be very good for low end
torque and also captable for enough boost, but will cause high oil temp and also high
intake and exhaust gas temerature. So as high temperature is the real IDI engine killer,
i think i will use the gt2052 (complicate governor issue) or my good old tough T3 from
the 1.6 mk1.

Best regards
Clemens

BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #4February 03, 2010, 07:52:47 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 07:52:47 pm »
Garrett T3! :D
If you are skilled you can TIG weld that injector boss back into place. On my old head someone had successfully done that.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #5February 03, 2010, 08:00:13 pm

Rabbit on Roids

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 08:00:13 pm »
Garrett T3! :D
If you are skilled you can TIG weld that injector boss back into place. On my old head someone had successfully done that.

but he already got contaminants on the aluminum. and aluminum is super porous. and needs to be very clean to do a good weld on it. oil and anything thats going to burn away when you are welding is bad. if he hadnt tried to glue it back on, he MAY have been able to save it, depending on how dirty the engine has been through out its life. if it was one of those cars that has a ahlf inch of black goo caked to the front of the engine, i wouldnt even attempt to weld it, it wont hold long term.

Reply #6February 04, 2010, 01:11:06 am

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:11:06 am »
You could try baking the block after a good acid bath, bake at 450F for approx 30 min, then let it cool, then bake again @ 300 for an hour or so, to evaporate any and all oils goops and glues.   Then you could try welding it.  If you do all of this yourself, it may be woth it.

Good luck, Cheers,

Kevin
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #7March 18, 2010, 06:44:09 am

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 06:44:09 am »
Hi,

after a couple of weeks, i get it back to the streets on last saturday (night).
First as information, i have buy a new head and a friend has extend the tiny exhaust ports. After i reassemble
the head i found out, that i should have uses the little protection cover during mounting of the valve stem seals.

Anyhow, i bought new seals and wand to disassemble the head again, but could not dismount the old valve steam
seals, because the valve guide was however why to deep in the head. So i have to find a motor shop and ask them
to drove back the valve stem guides. After doing this i could reassemble the head finally.

I have worked on the wastegate valve, so that it is moving again, as it should be and stay with the K14 charger.
Now my electronic boost governor is also working fine.

The copuling swap to the d=228mm was also a bit annoying, because i get no M7 screws with the coulpling an need
one week to get them. The stock very heavy 02a flywheel is max lighten and needs a lot of balancing after that, now
it is a bit less heavy than the stock 020 flywheel.

The Tranny swap was quite easy, but i need a lot of time to change the shaft drives and swap the inner joint from 90mm to 100mm.

I have also noble metal lighten the catalyser and install a d=63mm exhaust all the way down after the catalyser. I has sheduled to also change the downpipe, but find now time for it.

On my first way home from the garage, i lost one of the exhaust clamps and the exhaust lay on the street.
After i fixed that, one of the new installed injectors stop working (live only 25km) and on the way to my garage a part of the shifting
cables broke, so i only have the third gear and a hoorible runnig engine.

Actualy i have change the broken injector with a old one, has redesigned the shaft cable hookup and car is running.
I also get yesterday the right tacho cable (Golf MK2 with 1.3 gas engine), so that i my tachometer is working now. Speed is good and the engine pulls like hell, but i am not satisfied with the way the engine is running, i think the cause for this is the installed DI camplate.

I have bought to Iveco IDI injection pumps from the uk yesterday (one with 11m and one with 12mm head) and will use either one of the camplates from these pumps or the complete 11mm head for my installed special pump. During the time i wait for for the iveco pumps, i will put my 12mm gilles pump to have the best possible performance reference for my own pump build.

So if everything is working as i shedule, i will make a dynorun tomorrow and also present some G-Tech results.
Here some more pics:

"lightwheel"

ported head:

self build cuppling cable holder up:

broken and then redesigned shaft cable hookup:

new exhaust:

worse video:

Best Regards   

BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #8March 23, 2010, 03:58:01 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »
Dear all,

as mentioned i was on the dyno on the last Friday.
Before i have swap my own rebuild pump against a giles pump with a 12mm head.
I will use this dyno run as reference for my own pump, which will be reinstalled after
i get my new camplate(s).

What is very eye-catching is the peak power at approximate 3500rpm, which is very low.
From my prospective it is related to the K14 charger, which is to small at all for good peak
power. This is my first dynorun were something like this could be seen, ---- it is also my
first dynorun, without a working wastegate valve.

So in summary, the K14 has to leave this car.
Here are the power curves vs. speed, the run is taken in the 4. gear of the CTN (02a) tranny with 195/50 15" tires.
We have made at least to runs, one with 1,0bar and one with full possible boost (shortly 1,5bar).

Here are the same results, taken in excel to plot also the torque curves:

Also please find attached two short vids, one with exhaust smoke at 1,0 bar boost and the other were bosst rising could observed.

Best Regards
Clemens

BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #9March 23, 2010, 04:07:29 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 04:07:29 pm »
Good thread!
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #10March 23, 2010, 05:39:44 pm

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:39:44 pm »
Hi,

@ Rallydiesel
thanks

I forgot to add the new G-Tech run result, which was taken on last thursday evening (before the
dyno run)

I could decrease the drag strip time to 16,2s.
(red is actual setup, black is from last fall with light modded stock pump and green is my BMW 524TD ;D )

This are the power and torque curve

Best Regards
BMW E28 524 TD

Reply #11March 24, 2010, 03:28:46 pm

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:28:46 pm »
Looks like that AAZ was born there, looks as though I will be looking out for one to replace the poor SB that the ladyfriend drove 20 miles with no oil in it. "Whats that annoying buzzer and red light for?" DOH! AND a home for that K24 that is sitting in my cupboard! Happy Days Are Here Again! ;D

Did the chassis rail need hitting to get the serpentine belt to fit?

Reply #12March 28, 2010, 03:18:34 pm

Eivind

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 03:18:34 pm »
Nice car! Allmost like mine, I also have a tornado red GTD with a AAZ, but I run the T3 from a 1,6td and a fmic but still with stock ip, injectors and exhaust.
Fun to see the dyno result, but I didn`t see if thos numbers was that on the crank or the wheels?
AAZ powered 91 GTD

Reply #13March 28, 2010, 03:51:40 pm

stewardc

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 03:51:40 pm »
That's one nice ride. I always thought a Mk 2 GTD AAZ would be the ideal daily driver.

Reply #14April 08, 2010, 07:56:12 am

Alleslowbuged

• Veteran

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 07:56:12 am »
Dear all,

i have change the the last old injector against a new one (remember, one of the new injectors was broke just after restart) and change the injection pump back from the giles pump, to my own modificated pump with 10mm plunger. Before i reinstalled my pump i has to make some further modifikations and change some internals, because my first try was not good in some details.

Anyhow, the car is much stronger now as before (i did not know what percentage is related to the other pump and the new injector) either in torque as also in peak power. G-Tech gives 20kW more peak power with is plausible from the subjective drive feeling.

The dyno shop hat has no time for me, so i make a short tach vid 0-160km/h:
eigene_pumpe_tacho-april-2010.AVI

Best Regards   
BMW E28 524 TD