S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: How to fix a backup light switch.  (Read 5031 times)

January 29, 2010, 01:19:09 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

How to fix a backup light switch.
« on: January 29, 2010, 01:19:09 am »
Here: http://www.brokevw.com/reverseswitch.html is all the pictures and some good info.

The link shows how these go bad and sorta how to fix 'em.

But what I did after having the backup lights start flickering again after putting in a new switch only 2ish years ago, is I took the switch apart, cleaned the burnt contacts as good as I could and then flipped the "button" over.

The reverse button is the farthest forward one when it's installed, and only the mk1/four wire switch is easy to disassemble, all the others are glued/welded together.

After doing this either relay the backup lights or get LED bulbs, I've never seen 'em just heard about 'em....

'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #1February 01, 2010, 12:32:27 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Reply #2February 03, 2010, 10:32:51 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: How to fix a backup light switch.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »
After driving around with the switch fixed by this method I've noticed the backup lights will come on in 5th gear when I first hit that gear or hold the shifter far into 5th.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Fixmyvw.com