General Information > FAQ/Tech Tips/Please Read First

2010 Edition of the Governor Mod

<< < (2/45) > >>

carrizog60:
and what about the resulst of removing the main and put something solid?

8v-of-fury:

--- Quote from: carrizog60 on January 26, 2010, 08:09:11 am ---and what about the resulst of removing the main and put something solid?

--- End quote ---

Well I haven't done it personally, the pictures that I posted are pretty much 1-2 shims away from solidly shimming that spring. I asked the same question about solid shimming in another thread to get information for this one and came up with this..

--- Quote from: dts67 on January 28, 2010, 08:39:01 am ---
This pic any good? Theres loads more random pump part pics on my photobucket for anyone wanting to use them, 'del635'.
Shimming the governor solid, messes up the lda? ie no smoke control?

--- End quote ---

His Main spring in the governor is nearly shimmed right solid, So I asked him about driveability and how the car reacts to different situations and pedal movements.. and he responded with this..

--- Quote from: dts67 on January 28, 2010, 02:37:40 pm ---No problems at all at part throttle at any load, the rpms do not hang at all either between gears. There is still travel in the main spring, cant remember exactly how much tbh maybe about a 1/4 of original and there is also much more tension, I thought this was needed for the lda otherwise there would be nothing for it to hold back on off boost. The cars pulls harder above 3k rpm at full throttle much different to the non shimmed lever where power just tailed away to nothing.
I used to have the smaller spring shimmed as well there was no noticable power difference at full throttle and at part throttle it was hard work keeping the car at a constant speed, you had to constantly adjust the pedal back forward it was only after this did I really understand just what the governor is doing at all rpms/loads its not just a rev limiter.
The one thing I dont like about the gov mod is the lack of no load speed limitation, eg I was trying to pull another car which was stuck in snow and when my wheels lost grip a quick blip of the pedal saw over 6k rpm! :o I cant let anyone drive my car either as it would take a matter of seconds to blow the engine to pieces but all in with a bit of sense it is an excellent mod for free hp.

--- End quote ---

Then there was a minor issue brought forth, and that is this mod has no rev limiting! If you are really in to the throttle and your front tires loose traction there is nothing stopping your already Wide Open Throttle from revving the engine to over 6000 rpm. Another issue is that this will pretty much make your car un-lend-able to friends or family... Unless they fully understand how to properly drive it, they could blow it up a block from where they left.

A solution was brought up about how to remedy the situation, and maybe make some sort of electronic engine speed trigger that would cut fuel to the engine..

--- Quote from: gldgti on January 29, 2010, 03:25:49 am ---good point about having no rev limit at all - and others driving your car...

i guess it wouldnt be a huge job to wire a relay into the stop solenoid, trigerred by an electronic overspeed signal (either from tach or something else). cut fuel at specific rpm.....

--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot guys. Another other good pieces of information please feel free to post it up!!

Smokey Eddy:
Nicely done Jer.
To saticefy this recent curiosity...

--- Quote from: carrizog60 on January 26, 2010, 08:09:11 am ---and what about the resulst of removing the main and put something solid?

--- End quote ---

I replaced that big spring with a solid sleeve.
Last night in the rain showing off my speedo said between 50 and 55 km/hr and i was in 1st gear... how many rpm is that on an 020? ;)
I could hear it chirping off the gov :P  ::)
BRrrrrBrrrrrrBRrrrrrrBRrrrrrrBRrrrrrrr
Made lots of steam.

(Apparently that's 6,250 rpm with my tires & AGS tranny)

Smokey Eddy:

--- Quote from: theman53 on January 26, 2010, 07:46:38 am ---The only thing I noticed was I had my pump a lot cleaner when opening. I know you cabbaged the pics, but it is worth noting that these pumps don't like much of anything in them that isn't burnable. I used at least one can of brake clean after hosing off the big stuff before opening.
Other than that I think this thread FTW on the governor mod

--- End quote ---

I agree. It should be made clear that these pumps were originally manfactured in a surgically clean and air filtered assembly room by people wearing full body suits and hair nets...
(at least on bigger rigs they are - ie. Ships, Trains and the like.)

--- Quote from: 8v-of-fury on January 10, 2010, 07:31:10 pm ---I have another thread roughly about the same thing, and I was told that these engines will reach and sustain 5350 +/- 20 floored in neutral. These engines could run forever at 5300rpm, they are built like tanks.

When shimming even small amounts of the main spring, such as the 1/4" results in fueling way higher in the rpm range.. if no shims on a stock pump and engine result in 5300rpm floored in neutral.. i think adding a 3/16" shim would make the governor react a lot better to pedal movement.

Does anyone have a tach, and an engine that has been shimmed with a small shim on the main spring only? What was your maximum rpm achieved?

This is something I definitely want to experiment with when i dig the diesel out in the spring.

--- End quote ---

I need to set up a tach on mine and i'll post a video of playing with the rpm in neutral. Now if only i could rig up a tach :P I need one of those magnet sensor things. I have an aftermarket tach just sitting in my dash getting power doing nothing.

8v-of-fury:

--- Quote from: Rabbit on Roids on February 06, 2010, 03:30:13 pm ---
--- Quote from: dts67 on January 28, 2010, 08:39:01 am ---
This pic any good? Theres loads more random pump part pics on my photobucket for anyone wanting to use them, 'del635'.
Shimming the governor solid, messes up the lda? ie no smoke control?

--- End quote ---

im about this far shimmed up too. (~3/16") i really cant tell any difference driving the car, other than it has alot more power and turns about 7000 rpms after the mod.

it blew alot more blackness after the mod.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Kev. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version